Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM

369 posts, read 1,095,506 times

Advertisements

I am sorry if this has been discussed, when I search key words, it said nothing was found.

I currently live in Nevada and am applying for a job in Fort Worth. I am not the kind of person to just up and move before visiting somewhere, but I have had Texas on my list for a year or so now to look into, mostly cause of the land you could possibly live on one day...

My question is what part of this city should I stay in to be able to explore and what kinds of things should I be sure to check out while I am there? I will probably have some follow-up questions once I have gone there. I lived in South Carolina from Dec 09 to Aug 09 and am familiar with the humidity of the south, and not a fan, but its not a deal breaker... except is it worse in Texas, particularly this area?
I think my biggest concern is tornadoes. I grew up in California and am familiar with earthquakes (actually my home just had the 6.5 one)... so... is that really a concern? are there good emergency plans in place?

I am almost 29, no kids yet so not particularly worried about schools for another several years... What is the nightlife scene like? Culture? Fun?

I am sorry if these are redundant questions. It is a scary thing to move somewhere you know nothing about, but that is why a visit is a must for me and I would like some opinions on what to see, where to go... etc., kind of maybe an overview of the place and how you as individuals like it or not and for what reasons.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

54 posts, read 145,637 times
Tornadoes should be the last of your worries. They are really a non-factor in living here.

If you are coming here for a visit, it really depends on your budget for hotel recommendations. If I could stay anywhere in downtown Fort Worth, I'd stay here:

Fort Worth Hotel | The Ashton Hotel, Fort Worth, TX

Good Luck and welcome to Texas!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,816 times
What is up with all the tornado posts? They aren't that big of a deal. This wasn't geared towards you, it is just annoying. Ok, I agree with Grapevine, depending on your budget, I would try to stay in downtown. It is walking distance to bars, resaurants, art galleries, shopping, etc. Fort Worth has come a long way in the past 10-15 years. There are many places to go, 7th Street which has been revamped, you have the museum district, Northside, TCU, etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
or the new Omni!
But the Ashton has a better walking location.
Where ever you stay you wnat ot be close to sundance square etc... so you can walk to resturants, movies, museums etc...

Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys.

Also... to txtoal... i haven't seen any tornado posts, but I guess it's because, at least personally, i have never experienced one. I know a lot of people I encountered when I lived in SC last year said they would rather live in a hurricane than an earthquake, and i thought they were crazy. I think it's the unknown that scares people? Myself... it's cause a tornado can level your house in a second... and you never know where it can hit? I mean if you are in tornado territory... i guess im just wondering if Fort Worth is known to be that... i mean i know it's always possible, im just saying how likely?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 10,476 times
How likely? hmm..Well, it's not unlikely. If you live here, you'll definately experience them and hear about them on the news (there are actually quite a few tornado warnings in the spring), but it's really nothing to worry about. They come through quickly and usually don't hit the city. It's not a big deal.

I would also suggest you say downtown. The Ashton is nice, but there are many hotels downtown so you could just check to see which one's cheaper. There are bars, restaurants, shops downtown. And from there, it's easy to get to 7th st., the cultural district (my favorite area in Fort Worth because our wonderful museums) and the stockyards. Northside and Camp Bowie also has great cultural stuff and shops.

I love Fort Worth, in all honesty. The people are unbelievably polite and friendly. Yes, it's more conservative than some places. But I'm not conservative, and it rarely bothers me. Fort Worth has a certain charm. There's so much to do in Fort Worth (not to mention DFW). If you like sports, art or music and are open-minded about living in this kind of community, you will like it here.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMFW View Post

I love Fort Worth, in all honesty. The people are unbelievably polite and friendly. Yes, it's more conservative than some places. But I'm not conservative, and it rarely bothers me. Fort Worth has a certain charm. There's so much to do in Fort Worth (not to mention DFW). If you like sports, art or music and are open-minded about living in this kind of community, you will like it here.

thank you for your response! im surprised there is not more activity on this board, but i also haven't been coming here until now! I am conservative, so i wouldn't mind lol.
but i absolutely love sports... NFL Being the biggest; however id have to get over that the cowgirls are probably everyone's team there huh ??

I love that you said everyone is polite and nice... that is what i miss most about living in the south and glad to hear Texas is no different, at least in your opinion.

I will check out hotels down town, thank you again. (tornadoes still scare me!) lol.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
There are quite a few tornadoes in this part of Texas.......but most of them never touch the ground. Away from the city lights, you can see funnels forming in the clouds during storms fairly often.....but they just go back up into the clouds or just keep on moving across the sky - they are fascinating things to watch, but they do make you a little nervous til you see they are going to move on.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
About Fort Worth being friendly. It is so true. Fort Worth has some of the nicest people you'll find anywhere in the US, and that includes the suburbs as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 28,118 times
Non-issue? A tornado hit downtown Ft Wth in March of 2000...it's unlikely to happen again, but it's by no means a non-issue. I understand that tornadoes are scary, but if you like storms at all, you'll REALLY love FtWth. We have the best Spring storms! Realistically, it's the hail you want to be wary of...make sure wherever you live offers covered parking.

Best of luck and enjoy Fort Worth...it's a neat place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth