U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
 
41 posts, read 313,862 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Well I am full-time teacher in NYC and planning to change my profession. I want to leave my crappy and miserable job as a teacher at the urban school that I graduated from. (Go figure!) The cost of living in NYC is getting expensive and is leaving me no choices but to move. I've lived in NYC all my life and I'm getting tired of the NYC rat race of living.

I have applied to SMU and TCU (waiting to hear from them back) for a second bachelor's degree, I want to go back to school for another undergraduate degrees to help prepare me for medical school.

I picked Texas because it is an affordable state that will allow me to prepare for this future profession. I am planning to create a small educational business and have a part time job. Can I be able to get a home in the Dallas/Fort Worth area from $80,000-$120,000 (already approved for a mortgage) in a decent, liveable and safe area, or am I dreaming? If so, what areas?

I'm also 28 years old. I will not be having a car (at first) once I move there. However, I plan on getting one down the road. It would be great to find some place close to public transportation -- so that I can get to maybe restaurants and shops. I like to eat out and perhaps relax at a classy nightclub sometime.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Last edited by krazymack; 05-25-2007 at 05:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
 
2 posts, read 10,836 times
Reputation: 10
Default Texas vs. N.Y.

Hey there,
Arlington is a little cheaper than Fort Worth if you don't mind the commute. Houses in Arlington run about $120,000 but the higher the price you aim for, chances are you will find yourself in a safer neighborhood.
As far as public transportation goes, I have rarely seen buses in the Arlington/Ft. Worth area. Unlike, N.Y., Boston, or L.A. public transportation is scarce. A car is the best way to go, especially if you want to live in a house. Some apts. are in walking distance of a descent bar. You car even find an affordable older model car that could last you a year or two for about $1500-$3000. I hope this helps. Good luck. -S


Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymack View Post
Well I am full-time teacher in NYC and planning to change my profession. I want to leave my crappy and miserable job as a teacher at the urban school that I graduated from. (Go figure!) The cost of living in NYC is getting expensive and is leaving me no choices but to move. I've lived in NYC all my life and I'm getting tired of the NYC rat race of living.

I have applied to SMU and TCU (waiting to hear from them back) for a second bachelor's degree, I want to go back to school for another undergraduate degrees to help prepare me for medical school.

I picked Texas because it is an affordable state that will allow me to prepare for this future profession. I am planning to create a small educational business and have a part time job. Can I be able to get a home in the Dallas/Fort Worth area from $80,000-$120,000 (already approved for a mortgage) in a decent, liveable and safe area, or am I dreaming? If so, what areas?

I'm also 28 years old. I will not be having a car (at first) once I move there. However, I plan on getting one down the road. It would be great to find some place close to public transportation -- so that I can get to maybe restaurants and shops. I like to eat out and perhaps relax at a classy nightclub sometime.

Thank you so much for all of your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2007, 08:27 AM
 
32,551 posts, read 51,112,793 times
Reputation: 18432
If you have applied to SMU and TCU only then hope you anticipate lots of student money in loans or grants--very expensive--
while you have no car you will have to live in walking range or be close to public transportation--that means living in Dallas or FTW...Arlington, Mid-Cities areas have no easy-to-use public transportation that would make commuting to either school fairly reliable...

Taxes are high in TX on homes--think your best bet would be to rent in location close to school you attend---

If when you say "small educational business" do you mean tutoring---lots of competition for those dollars (like Sylvan or Knowledge Points) and they are usually in high rent areas like Southlake/Colleyville/Dallas/FTW where parents will spend money to get extra help for their children...

Schools like Texas Women's --Denton and Texas Weslyan - FTW have programs in physical therapy which are pretty well regarded, UT at Arlington has great nursing program---if you live here for year before college believe you qualify for TX residency and lower tuition costs...TX Weslyan is private school so everyone pays same...University of Dallas is another private school which has good pre-med program I believe...

Just wondered why you only focused on SMU and TCU for your 2nd degree?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
 
41 posts, read 313,862 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor5 View Post
Hey there,
Arlington is a little cheaper than Fort Worth if you don't mind the commute. Houses in Arlington run about $120,000 but the higher the price you aim for, chances are you will find yourself in a safer neighborhood.
As far as public transportation goes, I have rarely seen buses in the Arlington/Ft. Worth area. Unlike, N.Y., Boston, or L.A. public transportation is scarce. A car is the best way to go, especially if you want to live in a house. Some apts. are in walking distance of a descent bar. You car even find an affordable older model car that could last you a year or two for about $1500-$3000. I hope this helps. Good luck. -S

Thanks so much for the heads up on Arlington Saylor5 and especially giving me a ballpark on car prices, I will look all of the information you had given me. Again, I truly appreciate your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
 
41 posts, read 313,862 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you have applied to SMU and TCU only then hope you anticipate lots of student money in loans or grants--very expensive--
while you have no car you will have to live in walking range or be close to public transportation--that means living in Dallas or FTW...Arlington, Mid-Cities areas have no easy-to-use public transportation that would make commuting to either school fairly reliable...

Taxes are high in TX on homes--think your best bet would be to rent in location close to school you attend---

If when you say "small educational business" do you mean tutoring---lots of competition for those dollars (like Sylvan or Knowledge Points) and they are usually in high rent areas like Southlake/Colleyville/Dallas/FTW where parents will spend money to get extra help for their children...

Schools like Texas Women's --Denton and Texas Weslyan - FTW have programs in physical therapy which are pretty well regarded, UT at Arlington has great nursing program---if you live here for year before college believe you qualify for TX residency and lower tuition costs...TX Weslyan is private school so everyone pays same...University of Dallas is another private school which has good pre-med program I believe...

Just wondered why you only focused on SMU and TCU for your 2nd degree?
Thank you loves2read so much for your reply. I had a hunch that my educational/tutoring business idea wouldn't be a rarity, I think I will squash that idea. I was also thinking of providing early intervention services to developmentally delayed preschoolers and having the state pay since part of my teacher's license will be in special education and the other mathematics. But this might not be an option as well.

I have been a slave to the USNews rankings and I've considered SMU and TCU because these schools are nationally recognized. In fact they are ranked in the Top 105 of national universities. I know rankings can be rather ridiculous to follow and a solid education from anywhere should be more important.

However, I attended an unknown Christian liberal arts school for my first bachelor's and I felt it really didn't prepare students to attend professional school in medicine and law or the "real world" for that matter. The institution only seem to encourage students to work in church ministry, missionary work and education. I majored in Computer Science and have yet to do anything with the degree. So I felt my education never really paid off. I also believe if later down the road, if I chose to leave Texas and relocate to yet another state, the school that I attended will be known.

I was already accepted by Drexel University in Philadelphia and offered a Dean's Scholarship with a contribution of about $10,000 to attend. I feel a bit uneasy for leaving NYC to Philly because I feel like I moving to a crime ridden slum. I've read in the paper the other day, that the crime rate is getting out of hand there. The school is also on a quarter system with rigid times for class meetings, which might be inflexible to working some hours.

I was also admitted to George Washington University in DC, which I happen to like a lot and waiting for a financial aid package. It also concerns me the rents are expensive in DC/MD/VA, if I decide to go there I would have to consider a share. I'm not too fond of that idea but might have to do what I have to do.

I grew up in a very urban area (which happens to be a gentrifying area right now - Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn, NYC - maybe bad time to leave, lol) and I'm trying to escape the blight, hardships, and stress to inexpensive greener pastures. Haha, what a fantasy idea, huh.

I applied to SMU and TCU hoping that I get a scholarship due to my extensive educational background. Since, I heard they award merit money. If they don't offer adequate aid, then forget about it.

Loves2read, I truly appreciate that you have brought up some other names of schools in the surrounding areas of Dallas-Fort Worth with good health professional programs. It would be ideal if I start school this fall. For the state schools, you mentioned like Texas Woman's and UT-Arlington, I can gladly consider membership in an honors program of some sort -- if they award students 'out of state' tuition waivers and/or merit aid based on membership then it could be a viable option.

One of my main reason for considering Texas because of home ownership, I wouldn't like money to be thrown away in rent. But if the taxes are too high then I might have to reconsider.

Last edited by krazymack; 05-26-2007 at 10:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM
 
Location: TX
5,412 posts, read 14,854,678 times
Reputation: 1717
Last year, I moved from NJ (lived my whole life there) to FW, TX. There's an adjustment period, such as w/ the heat, hail, "y'all"s, etc. But so far, it's gone well. I do miss family and friends back home in NJ, but I fly there occasionally and they fly out here once in a while.

I know there's a bus system in FW, but I don't think Arlington has any mass transit. In fact, someone once told me that Arlington is the largest city in the US to not have any mass transit at all. I hope that changes by the time the new Cowboys football stadium opens in a couple years.

Houses are much cheaper in TX than in NJ (and therefore, I assume NY). Taxes are a bit high, but NJ's prop. tax is exceptionally high, so I wasn't in for a rude awakening. Speaking of taxes, it's nice that TX has no state income tax.

TCU is not far from downtown and I'm sure buses there can take you to the local malls and Sundance Sq. (downtown). Good luck w/ your move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
10,548 posts, read 22,446,262 times
Reputation: 8374
Honestly, you'd do well to consider the University of Texas at Arlington. It is well-known for science and technical programs like you're considering. And it is easily half the cost of expensive private schools like TCU and SMU. A diploma from UTA is well-regarded.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
 
Location: TX
5,412 posts, read 14,854,678 times
Reputation: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly, you'd do well to consider the University of Texas at Arlington. It is well-known for science and technical programs like you're considering. And it is easily half the cost of expensive private schools like TCU and SMU. A diploma from UTA is well-regarded.
One problem is that UT Arlington is in a much crappier area (neighborhood) than TCU.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 AM
 
32,551 posts, read 51,112,793 times
Reputation: 18432
UTA is in same type of neighborhood as TCU--older, urban-residential--it is just that the houses around tcu are probably more expensive but I don't think the OP is in postion to buy one...my daughter went to UTS--think it is as safe as any urban campus or work zone...people have to be careful any time they might be vulnerable...
If the OP wants to get an education that is a better fit for modern economy, he.she might not even need a second undergrad degree--could work something off the computer science degree with library science at North TX--that is growing field---
OP--have you checked out the library science curriculum at UNT in Denton--if you feel any affinity for information.knowledge-- distrbuution, organization, --could go into medical or law library speciality fields--I think there are viable openings in library science/IS which pay pretty well...have a warm place in my hearts--Librarians were one of first group to speak out against this admin's creeping control over inforamtion when Freedom of Information act wanted to make every library open up its patrons' records---they aren't as stodgy as people's perceptions...

UT-Dallas has great medical school--you might check out its catalogue to see what it on offer there...

Are you doing pre-med programs at the two schools you mentioned?
If you have exprience working w/developmentally delayed children and/or special education you might just consider teaching here in tx--some districts pay a fairly good starting salary now--problem is there is not much up-side from the original starting salary....there is loan program giving lower interest rates to teachers and lower-salary govt employees, like policemen and firemen--at least there used to be--don't know if it is still available--had a friend who taught with me who took advantage of it to buy property up in Bridgeport that has some acres so she has more room for her horses...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
103 posts, read 645,242 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor5 View Post
Hey there,
Arlington is a little cheaper than Fort Worth if you don't mind the commute. Houses in Arlington run about $120,000 but the higher the price you aim for, chances are you will find yourself in a safer neighborhood.
As far as public transportation goes, I have rarely seen buses in the Arlington/Ft. Worth area. Unlike, N.Y., Boston, or L.A. public transportation is scarce. A car is the best way to go, especially if you want to live in a house. Some apts. are in walking distance of a descent bar. You car even find an affordable older model car that could last you a year or two for about $1500-$3000. I hope this helps. Good luck. -S
Actually...there are some VERY affordable homes in Fort Worth that are in nicer neighborhoods. In the far North Fort Worth/Keller/Saginaw/Blue Mound area alone you can get a home in the lower to mid $100s...some newly built construction. We are having a house built ourselves that is MUCH lower than I would have ever paid in Ohio where I am originally from. The property taxes are higher...but, I feel it is worth it in the long run.

Check out these new neighborhoods found at this link for Tarrant County (also, you can print off a coupon to save some $$ on your contract):

iNest: Dallas-Fort Worth New Homes and Home Builder Search

Now...the drawback to living in many areas of Fort Worth is the lack of public transportation. However...Downtown Fort Worth is building up BIG time with many new condos and lofts being constructed, and there is some public transportation (although, I have never used it). If you like apartment/condo living in a small, clean, downtown atmosphere...check out these links:

Residential Living in Downtown Fort Worth (broken link)

Sundance Square

I agree...teaching here in Texas may be an option for you. I know a lot of teachers personally, and they all seem to enjoy it. In fact, I have a friend whose husband was offered an administrative position and turned it down because he just couldn't give up teaching. There are also advantages to teaching here because the growth is astronomical, and teachers are definitely needed. If you know a second language or want to teach children with special ed...the demand seems to be higher. Also, math teachers seem to be in demand.

Check out this link:

Hot Careers in Texas: Teaching

Also, check out the following school districts in the Fort Worth area:

Keller ISD - Home (LOTS of educator openings!)
Northwest ISD
Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD
! Fort Worth Independent School District !

I don't know much about Arlington except that I only go there when I have to to go Whole Foods or the Convention Center and the traffic is terrible! So, I avoid it, as well as Dallas, as much as possible.

Good luck in your venture!...and, if you do decide to move to Fort Worth...even though it takes some adjustment, you will love it! (I know I do...and, I'm a transplanted Yankee)...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top