U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 45,966 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm planning to move to Dallas/FW area in June due to my husband's job. I'm a fully certified music teacher with 13+ year experience. So far I've been filling out applications online but haven't heard anything back. I read on this forum that people think it's useless to rely on the on-line applications and that personal visits to schools are necessary to get a job even though all the school websites say not to come there personally. I'd appreciate any feedback on how the process of finding a teaching job works in TX. Is it really better/necessary to try and meet principals in person? do I go directly to school or should I try and talk to HR people first? any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 PM

35,419 posts, read 55,021,615 times
you need to figure out where you are going to be living
the Metroplex is hugh--getting a job at one end and living at the other would be worse in some ways than not getting a job

there are charter schools and magent schools --
Texas Charter Schools Listed by City (http://www.charterstexas.org/ct_schools/listed_city.php - broken link)
a magnet school is sponsored by a public ISD and is filled by that district's students based on factors usually tied to ability/IQ/special interests
a charter school is charted by the state, serves the needs of the public and is open to students who qualify based not on location but other factors
neither one is a private school which does not receive any state funds but relies on private funding
(not trying to tell you stuff you might already know--but education in TX does have some special ramifications that other states might not)
working in a charter or private school is usually not as well paid as a public ISD--and moving from a private or charter school into public ISD can be very difficult unless you have connections with those doing the hiring--many principals consider people in those jobs (private/charter) are just not that good...or that they wimped out on the process of getting hired in public arena and took the easy way out...a very broad brush to tar people with--but they use it quite a lot...

posted on your Dallas thread as well

IF you don't get a teaching job--don't give up
there are several colleges in the area and plenty of people interested in music
it might be possible to get work within a district as a music tutor--most of the better students pay for private lessons
and there are private music schools in the area where children go for music lessons

saying you are an experienced music teacher leaves a lot unsaid==
all level--elem through secondary--or just one or other
all music or choral or instrumental--some people can't or don't have background in both main areas
what instruments do you play yourself and could teach individually

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Loves2read, thank you for your feedback both here on on dallas thread. Putting together a dvd/cd is a good advice. I'll definitely do it. I'm a choral teacher and a piano tutor and worked at all levels K-12.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM

just a reminder--you probably need to have releases to use your current students in your DVD

many of the schools in the DFW area are very competitive with their music programs--even on the elementary levels--but there are just not that many openings--usually 1 music teacher per elementary school and sometimes like I said --they share music or art teachers at the elementary level--

my high school was a 5A (10-12 grades) with over 1000 students and there were two choral teachers--one of them taught there more than 25 yrs--she was a great teacher --the younger teacher who was her asst took her spot and looks to be there as long

so I would say that districts fairly close to where you will live that might be opening new schools would probably be first place I would look--and remember that in TX--from what I have seen
principals opening new schools get to choose maybe 10 people to bring from their former schools (depending on who wants to go)...then there are teachers from other schools in district who apply for the new school--there is usually a limit of 50% or so from within district schools--sometimes not that many depending on how large the district is and how many teachers want to go--
if all of a dept want to move at one school obviously they aren't going to get to move--
then they fill remaining slots with new hires and the district would fill the job slots for teachers who transferred within the district as well
adding a new high school--many districts now start on a grade by grade level--with the two entry classes--then add another the next year
many high schools in this area are 3 yr schools--10/11/12 and a few are split 9/10 and 11/12

not all middle schools are organized the same from district to district either--districts have a lot of latitude from the state...

good luck and don't be discouraged...

do you know where your husband is going to be working and have idea of where you might want to live?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Loves2read, my husband works in Las Colinas and now he's renting an apartment in Irving.
I was thinking of releases as well, so to make it easier, I'll put together CD's from last choral competitions we went to. No releases needed for that.
2 choral teachers per 1000 students? wow, that's alot! My middle school is almost that big and we have 2 music teachers total - myself and band/orchestra. My program alone is 400 students with 4 choirs on top of my 9 choir classes. The feeder high school is over 2000 students and 1 choral teacher. Maybe all is not that bad in TX
Thank you again for your feedback. One thing I got out of all you say is that I need to be much more aggressive in my pursuit...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 AM

I got the numbers wrong--currently my former school has closer to 2K enrollment for 3 grades...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM

121 posts, read 389,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTX View Post
Hi all!
I'm planning to move to Dallas/FW area in June due to my husband's job. I'm a fully certified music teacher with 13+ year experience. So far I've been filling out applications online but haven't heard anything back. I read on this forum that people think it's useless to rely on the on-line applications and that personal visits to schools are necessary to get a job even though all the school websites say not to come there personally. I'd appreciate any feedback on how the process of finding a teaching job works in TX. Is it really better/necessary to try and meet principals in person? do I go directly to school or should I try and talk to HR people first? any advice will be greatly appreciated!
There are jobs to be had. You need to sell yourself and your application and resume need to stand out. If you have had any special training, awards or honors, now would be the time to bring those to the attention of the interviewer by way of your application. But, like a previous poster suggested, you need to decide what area of the DFW are you wanting to settle down in? I was relocating last year and the task of just applying blindly to districts is daunting. You really need to narrow your choices down. Look at the areas that you want to live in and make your decision based on the districts within a 15-20 mile radius.

When I was looking for a job last year at this time, this forum REALLY had me down. But luckily I was offered several jobs in great districts. I am very happy where I am and wish you all the best too!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:02 PM

121 posts, read 389,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTX View Post
Hi all!
BTW- I THINK my district is advertising for a band director at the high school level. They are second highest paying district in the state and very progressive. PM and I will check on that info to make sure I am right. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,375,816 times
Yes, meeting with the Principals and the Choir directors etc.... will do ALOT of good.
But you still need to have the on-line applications sent in so you are in the sysytem,

Also I have said this beofre... start subsituting. You will get to know the principals and programs etc... Let them know you are looking for full time work.

My daughters elem school has hired almost ALL the new teachers in the last year from sub positions.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 PM

54 posts, read 138,742 times
Don't all the districts have a job fair day in the spring (usually around April)?

I agree with 5stones on substituting. That is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Pick a district where you want to teach or a few districts and get on their sub call list. Then if you are good as a sub they will notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth