U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of building a home. There might be a miunderstanding going on. I'm hoping I can get some feedback.

We went to meet with the electrician today and saw the frame and roof for the first time. When we picked out our brick and stone we had decided on two different shades of roof shingles, one for each selection. When we decided on the brick and stone combination the roof shingle that had been discussed was a gray tone. The builder spoke with my wife about shingle colors prior to purchasing and putting it on the house. Neither of us were able to go and look at the actual color but trusted the builders opinion, especially since we had discussed a shade of gray for the roof.

Well, the roof is brown....not what we expected or had previously discussed. I'm wondering if anyone has run into anything like this and if anyone can maybe give some tips that might help me if this is a big misunderstanding.

I'm hoping it is a mistake, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 AM

32,631 posts, read 51,255,703 times
what is in your contract--do you have anything in writing

if you don't--you are probably screwed

Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM

4,192 posts, read 14,083,595 times
Most builder's contracts don't specify a shingle color. There may be an HOA restriction too. As Loves2read suggested, if it's not in your contract, you're probably gonna have to live with it.

Naima

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM

32,631 posts, read 51,255,703 times
yes--I should have mentioned that many HOA requirements now are for standardized roof colors

if this is a new development==there is probably NOT an HOA association run by the homeowners--but a "design committee" run by the major developer of the subdivision--sometimes that means only one builder--sometimes several under the design rule of the developer--
like David Bagwell's communities

frankly if your builder has built other homes in this neighborhood he should have known from the get-go what choices for roofs were available--
maybe you spoke to someone in the sales office about it initially--not the same thing in my experience as talking with the builder...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,594,451 times
Roofing is tough to pick. If you pick from brochure or selection boards, it is not representative of the roof. The only real way is to find a house and have the roofer ID it. If you picked a color such as 'weatherwood', which the most common color, every manufacturer has a variation of 'weatherwood'.....so they all look a tad different.
I dont think he did anything intentional, but you may have to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth