U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM

121 posts, read 378,556 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what kinds of flowering plants that I could plant this next week that will BLOOM all summer. Is there such a thing? Help me out Texas natives. This is new soil for me! Is it too early? I would like something that is low maintenance. Maybe bulbs? Need some advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM

36,766 posts, read 40,914,834 times
Check out Neil Sperry's books and website Neil Sperry's GARDENS - The Definitive Word in Texas Horticulture

He has become one of the best around North TX and has a large following. His book on TX Landscaping and Gardening is something I give to many of my clients who move here to TX.

He has a morning show on weekends on a local radio station. His website will have all the info.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM

165 posts, read 357,878 times
Welcome to Texas. I heartily endorse the previous poster's recommendation but would like to add Howard Garett's book PLANTS FOR TEXAS, available new from around $15 and used from $5 and up. Mr. Garett is popularly known as "the Dirt Doctor" with a popular gardening radio program as well. He advocates composting and organic gradening without using pesticides. The aforementioned book is but one of several he's written in recent years. Right now is the peak time of the year (actually a bit late for some plants) to get your Texas garden going. Good luck and thanks for making Texas green!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM

121 posts, read 378,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Check out Neil Sperry's books and website Neil Sperry's GARDENS - The Definitive Word in Texas Horticulture

He has become one of the best around North TX and has a large following. His book on TX Landscaping and Gardening is something I give to many of my clients who move here to TX.

He has a morning show on weekends on a local radio station. His website will have all the info.
You rock! Thanks!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 AM

378 posts, read 384,078 times
Actually, things are about 1 -2 weeks behind this season, so you're ok with just getting started.

The book recommendations are good, and you can find suggestions online.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM

3,037 posts, read 11,030,535 times
Not a Native but will chime in...
Also for tree shurb (and perennial) planting.... DO that in OCT! that way the roots will get a very good start in cool weather and not get "stressed" by the heat of summer. I was amazed at how big all my plants became the next year and they "weathered" last summer brutal heat just fine.

Knock out roses do very well here are hardy and bloom all summer...just trim them down when the bloom die off and they will re-bloom in about a week.
Lantana will do very well but beware it and grow huge (mine were 6ft tall and 8feet wide...had to move and tear out a bunch) they will take over but are pretty and bloom well into fall and butterflies love them.

The Salvia has done WONDERFUL! 3x the size they were...perennial (Coral Star Autumn) red ones Hummingbirds love them and they Bloom aLL sumer and into fall... I cut mine down to the ground about 2 weeks ago and they are already about 10" high and starting to bloom. GREAT plant

Sedum (vera Jameson) did excellant as well... bloomed from about june through oct. ground cover low growing wiht blooms about 12inches high.

Gaura (cherry brandY)does very well... like a wand flower willowly and whispy...best planted in bacjk not very pretty at end of season.

my Russian sage did not do well... hopefully this year it will be better but it's 2 years old and very small and scragaly.

GOOD luck!! use gypsum to help break up the clay soil.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 PM

10,547 posts, read 22,439,535 times
Personally, my husband and I have a yard full of Encore (brand) Azaleas, and they do bloom all summer and into the fall. They do better in partial, not full, sun. We have several in our flowerbeds surrounding the house, and a few more under the trees in the front yard. Azaleas do like acidic soil, so each spring, I go to Starbucks and get coffee grounds, and sprinkle them around the base of each plant, then cover them with pine/cypress mulch, and that works great! They are freeze tolerant to some degree; if it is just getting to 30 degrees, they will be fine, but they should be covered if it is getting into the 20s. Ours went uncovered in the surprise Christmas Eve snow, and they all made it through just fine.

If you decide to go with these plants, watch for sales, as they are expensive. Plant Shed occasionally has 50% off sale flyers.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM

3,037 posts, read 11,030,535 times
yes, my encores are blooming now as well.
There are some very hardy azaleas, we had beautiful ones in PA. I didn't cover mine (I have 2) and they faired the winter cold and snow very well.
Muracid is a great food for acis loving Azaleas and Hydragenas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: