U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times

Advertisements

I am also moving to FT worth. Can you tell me anything about Central High School And Fossil Ridge High School?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,035,215 times
They both are in Keller ISD.
Central has the better reputation, for academics and adminstration. It's a newer school so facilites are nice.

If it were me...I would choose Central over Fossil. However I know some fami.ies that have choosen to send thier kids from Central to the new Timber creek HS (also in ft worth just very north)

Heritage is a big community over by central, lots of families and lots of amenities.

Just make sure you check the ISD website for the school boundries, not all RE sites updated them when the changes went into effect last year.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM

32,557 posts, read 51,143,153 times
run a search on the FTW forum for either school and you will get threads with info

Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,480 times
I would recommend the Northwest School District. Byron Nelson High School just opened up and is an amazing new high school in the area. Saratoga is a neighborhood that has mid to upper tier housing within the district boundaries. Excllent sense of community in this neighborhood and will be located near the new Circle T Ranch Mall and Lone Star Crossing Entertainment district.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 35,276 times
I grew up in Arlington and went to high school at Nolan Catholic high school which is about 2 miles east of downtown Fort Worth, right on I-30. It is a good school with great athletics and great fine arts programs as well as a good academic school. The one bad thing is as a whole, the school's administration isn't that great, however there are some great great teachers there, like any school. They are also very accepting of non-Catholic students, so there would be no worry there.

I lived in Kennedale ISD, which is south of 20 and west of 287. Kennedale High School isn't a bad school, but it isn't all that great either. I'm kind of 50/50 in suggesting that area for that school.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,912 times
My husband and I are currently in Atlanta, seriously considering a move to the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. We currently live in a fairly wealthy suburb south of Atlanta. The schools are great here, despite Georgia's overall rankings. From what I have read, Keller seems to be very similar to our town as far as family-friendly living, low crime, parks and recreation, etc.. and want the same in Texas! The problem: We are considering the move because he wants more land, possibly a working farm. (I would be perfectly happy living in a nice subdivision for the rest of my life...lol. Hoping we can find a happy medium). Price range $400,000 to $550,000 for 10-20 acres, with no restrictions. Probably AG. I am having a hard time figuring out where to find rural areas with good schools (our daughter is 11 and will be starting 6th grade in the fall). Also, I really would prefer not to be further away than 5-10 miles from a nice town with a decent shopping center. I know that this seems like a job for a realtor, but it's not the same as asking the people in the area. Any small towns or area suggestions?

Last edited by ATL2DLS?; 07-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: i messed up

Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 AM

50 posts, read 183,242 times
check out Aledo. We love it. Rural, great schools, although about 20-25 mins to nearest mall, but only 10 mins to other shopping (Walmart, Target etc) Both my kids went from a very small school in MI into the AISD without any problems.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 AM

do you expect this farm to be self-supporting/make money?

the reason I ask is that my sister lives north of san antonio -- she lives on property that her best friend owns--was inherited from her father--they TRY to make it a money-back proposition
they raise sheep and have raised some calves and sold early
it is hill country so not possible to grow their own hay--there are water issues because of the Edwards Aquafer and long time drought and populatin growth in the Hill country drainng water resources...

buying a "small" farm--and that would be small makes it more difficult in many ways to make it profitable--
I know there are books out there about doing exactly what your husband wants to do--my sister has bought some of them trying to get ideas for how to increase their own profitability--but there are so many factors to take into account
and if your husband already does not know much about farming/ranch life then you are really starting from below zero...

I think most of the properties you might find--many properties on 10-20 acres -- are going to be set up more for horse purposes--tack barn/stable/riding corrals than for farming...
so if he wants a larger "lot" for a home that is not really a farm but just a larger home place--there are those--but they are not really meant to be "farmed"--aren't set up for that unless you go east to around Forney or beyond--southwest into the area around Cresson/Granbury/Cleburn
maybe northeast around Greenville
if your husband is going to work from home or something--
just remember that those parcels of land are kind of optimum size for smaller local builders to buy and turn into subdivisions--they don't require massive infrastructure--can usually get the county to approve of individual septic systems so no sewer plant is necessary--sometimes there is already a county private water system out there--or maybe each home can just have a well --would have ot have one for irrigation anyway

my point is that prices for those sizes are often more expensive than larger plots of land which are either too large for small developer or for operations like cattle ranching--needs more land/less density because of the nature of the land...

Granbury/Cresson/Cleburn area might be more what you are looking for--but the schools are not nearly as good as the ones in DFW metroplex

Burleson's or Aledo's would be better but those still are away from Dallas itself and an hour or so from the airport for example...and their schools are not top tier compared to those inside Metroplex
area west of Mansfield--smaller towns like Lillian, Joshua--might have the land but again shopping/schools are not there

land close to the metroplex in nice area is expensive

don't know what you mean by "decent" shopping center--
if you mean really upscale grocery store and malls with major stores those are only in Metroplex--

smaller towns might have a Tom Thumb or Kroger and Target/WalMarts with maybe a Kohl's and BBB thrown in
maybe one movie theater

so you probably need to prioritize your list and decide if schools are your #1 or the land/farm
and 5-10 miles away from a nice town imposes a pretty tight restriction

you also should understand that DFW area is the meeting zone for two different geological/land zones
The Piney Woods of East Texas and the Plains/beginning of the Southwest---
FTW representing the start of the West at the area around Aledo and going west
and Dallas/DFW area the western boundary of the Piney Woods in East TX but really continuing across from Georgia herself...
two very different types of soil and originally weather patterns--but all the concrete in the DFW area has tended to blend that
but most of our really bad weather still comes in from the west--

found this ad for residential community in Alliance Corridor which is north of Keller along I35
Ten Acre Exclusive Ranch Home Sites in North Fort Worth | Willow Crossing

it is in Northwest ISD which is getting lots of positive press and growing--just put up new high school in trophy club subdivision and it is fairly close to Southlake shopping as well as having growing shopping going in to area along I35 N

But for working in Dallas--this is NOT a good location--and it would probably be a 45 min drive to DFW airport on a good day

Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,912 times
Thank you both for the replies. Lots of great info. that we would not get from a real estate agent! I am thinking from what you all have told me that Aledo, Burleson, Weatherford, are good areas to look into. My husband said that what he wants is called a hobby farm. He would like to grow our own veggies, raise a few cattle, have a pond or lake on the property, and our daughter would like a horse, all without neighborhood restrictions. He is in the meat/ grocery business so finding a job should not be a problem in the area as long as we are not far from a town (He currently drives 40 minutes).

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM

well Aledo is pretty sparse--spread out--although it is growing--not many grocery stores in the area
Weatherford is larger--county seat for its county--
Burleson is fairly large suburban town--about a 30 min drive into FTW proper during drive time so it is commutable--
Aledo (depending on where you are) is about the same amount of time

North of FTW there are towns like Decatur--Rhome--
not sure about the schools

the MLS site I usually recommend does not do west of FTW/Tarrant county

good realtor for the Granbury area would be Pam Kneipper's site=
she does lot of listing around the lake but also in the county around there
will PM one of the listings she has for 30 acre farm property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth