Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,309 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to know what other high schools in Fort Worth you FWISD supporters would reccommend? LOVES2READ makes many valid points in her post.....yet you all seem to ignore them.

I don't have a dog in this fight as my children are not in FWISD. I graduated from a FWISD school many years ago but the area is much much different now.

Granted, with good, strong parenting and highly qualified and caring educators, a child can thrive and do well in most districts. However, when someone has choices, why buy a home in an area where the schools have average to low ratings when you don't have to?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
Quote:
Granted, with good, strong parenting and highly qualified and caring educators, a child can thrive and do well in most districts.
I would even go as far to say that with the strong parenting you also need a child with a drive to succeed. With that combination, that student will thrive in even the worst environments.

I don't have a "dog in this fight" either and no-one is arguing that you can not be successful etc... in the FWISD. They turn out some GREAT scholars and have some fantastic educators. But it does require more work and involvement on the parents and more discipline on the student.

I think ALL on this forum will agree that Paschal is an Awesome school and they consistently turn out Top scholars.
But while I agree that you can not go by the TAKS alone (or any 1 day test) it is one way to measure how well a school is educating our kids. You have so many other factors to look at and the way the ISD is run is also a huge factor. FW ISD has many problems, an unfortunately for every 1 excellent school there are 5 sub par ones. YES, you have AWESOME teachers, but again there area A LOT of teachers who have given up, who are just there to get a paycheck and wait until retirement. (this is in all districts)

It's not "bashing" of the FW ISD, it's simply this, For YOUR tax dollars that you pay for public education the average kid would get much more out of those dollars in another ISD than in FWISD.
Facts are facts.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

212 posts, read 477,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I would even go as far to say that with the strong parenting you also need a child with a drive to succeed. With that combination, that student will thrive in even the worst environments.

I don't have a "dog in this fight" either and no-one is arguing that you can not be successful etc... in the FWISD. They turn out some GREAT scholars and have some fantastic educators. But it does require more work and involvement on the parents and more discipline on the student.

I think ALL on this forum will agree that Paschal is an Awesome school and they consistently turn out Top scholars.
But while I agree that you can not go by the TAKS alone (or any 1 day test) it is one way to measure how well a school is educating our kids. You have so many other factors to look at and the way the ISD is run is also a huge factor. FW ISD has many problems, an unfortunately for every 1 excellent school there are 5 sub par ones. YES, you have AWESOME teachers, but again there area A LOT of teachers who have given up, who are just there to get a paycheck and wait until retirement. (this is in all districts)

It's not "bashing" of the FW ISD, it's simply this, For YOUR tax dollars that you pay for public education the average kid would get much more out of those dollars in another ISD than in FWISD.
Facts are facts.

Hypothesis - "guess: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence."

Fact - "a concept whose truth can be proved; scientific hypotheses are not facts."

From - http://wordnet.princeton.edu/

The fact is, your hypotheses about the FWISD are not facts.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Hypothesis - "guess: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence."

Fact - "a concept whose truth can be proved; scientific hypotheses are not facts."

From - About WordNet -*WordNet - About WordNet

The fact is, your hypotheses about the FWISD are not facts.

So, Rogramjet, what schools would you recommend aside from Paschal and Arlington Heights?

Would you recommend someone purchase a home in the Dunbar High School, Eastern Hills, O.D.Wyatt, Polytechnic areas. What about Southwest or Western Hills? South Hills? What would you tell these peope about the resale value of their homes in regards to the schools they are bound to by their location?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
@ Rogramjet--
do you own property/pay taxes to any school district
do you even have children

I think you are maybe a college student or unmarried guy who is defending your own eduation in FTW ISD--
that's your right---
but unless YOU have a dog in the fight--
your comments are just HYPOTHESES basically as well...
you can google Fort Worth ISD + scandal and get way more hits than if you do the same with Birdville ISD or Keller ISD or Grapevine Colleyville ISD
not saying there have been NO problems in those districts but just not as many or as flagrant

and you must admit that the property value of homes with similar features/age/size in areas of FTW that are IN school zones of less-ranked schools are priced less than homes of similar features/age/size in other districts outside FTW that have better school ratings--

I have seen that happen in my own local HEB ISD -- similar neighborhoods--but one is zoned for elementary school with "acceptable" rating and one is zoneed for "exemplary" school--
guess which ones are higher priced and sell faster--
that is a no-brainer my friend...

Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
OP opened this thread in March and has a lot of answers. Since the recent posts are basically just arguing with each other, thread is closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth