U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,937 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We moved to the north Dallas area just last August from the midwest. We were told to basically move anywhere near the Dallas/Fort Worth area because that was where my husbands stores would be that he oversees.
Believe me...even I was thinking "yeah right"!

ANYWAY, after a lot of changing/deleting jobs in the company, his district is now completely in the Fort Worth area. I really, really don't want to make another move, but his commute is very long and it stinks for all involved. We have three kids and it won't be easy, but we're contemplating being out of our minds and looking.

I would love to know great areas/towns nearby, possibly smaller with the options of private/Christian schools. Small town but with a lot to do would be great. Our boys went to a Lutheran school back up home and it would be great to find something similiar, if not, we are totally open to very good public schools if they exist. Please also tell us the areas/schools to avoid.

Housing...somewhere in the $200-$300,000 range.

I know this is probably a redundant question but please help! If we do this we'd like to get going ASAP so we can finally be grounded somewhere.

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!
Therese
Rate this post positively

Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM

32,559 posts, read 51,122,069 times
look at a map--look at the stores your husband deals with--
if any of them have more visits in a month prioritize those areas

look at the towns they are in/near
run a search for those towns on the FTW forum

read the threads that pop up

get an MLS site--run a search for homes in your price range in those towns
which ones have higher rated school
which ones appeal to you

Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the information ...I'm already doing much of the things you suggested.

What I'm looking for is advice from experienced people who live in or around the Fort Worth area, especially with kids. I think you can gain from those who have been there as well as doing a search online (which isn't as personal and can be one-sided).

Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM

10,548 posts, read 22,451,777 times
Grapevine-Colleyville, and Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISDs all have very well-regarded schools.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Tarrant county is BIG--and driving can be the pits--
statistically---the best district in Tarrant county is Southlake Carroll but you can't get a house in your price range there really so that is not a viable option

IN your price range
HEB ISD -- most schools have good ratings with TAKS scores--money is spent on athletics, arts programs like music, choir, and art--has IB programs in both high schools, has Suzuki strings in elementary schools and started Mandarin and Hindi language programs in past couple of years,
homes in area are older for most part--some people would say "dated"--but most areas are pretty safe--have sidewalks and parks--good amateur athletics for children's soccer and baseball for girls and boys

Bedford is considered pretty desireable area--parks, good library going into new building
Hurst north of 183 and Euless north of 183 have nice areas although Euless is usually considered less desireable because it has had less expensive housing/residents with lower incomes--has larger minority numbers still I think--but some people have good things to say about neighborhood organizations, city council--has a good mayor--

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD in the Grapevine area but again housing in your price range is not easy to find in good areas and Colleyville has very few homes under 300K that are that desireable--most of them are teardowns for building new home on the lot--Grapevine is very desireable area in past few years and prices have gone up there

Birdville ISD especially in north Hurst area and some parts of North Richland Hills,
some parts of Keller ISD IN Keller or North Richland Hills might have a neighborhood that would be good and in your price range...

but the Mid-Cities area has always been very desireable for its location, quality schools, and amenities like hospitals, churches, parks/rec, low crime

Arlington ISD--section that feeds into Martin HS would be considered better location than other high schools--that is more in southwest part of Arlington--but Arlington ISD I would rank as not as desireable as the others

Northwest ISD north of FTW in Haslet/Trophy Club/Roanoak area-=getting lots of press--think it is somewhat overrated based on past performance--has new high school in Trophy Club this year--growth area...

FTW ISD has Paschal high school but finding home in its catchment is probably more than your budget
you can live in other areas and try to get into Paschal as transfer--always lots of people who want that in spring when they take names for openings--not guaranteed
junior highs in FTW ISD are really bad--
some very good elementary schools --some that are magnets and have entrance requirements to be met--some elementaries that are not good--

west side of FTW I would not recommend for schools

there are several church related schools in Tarrant county--
smaller towns--Denton, Decatur, Justin, Haslet

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM

10,548 posts, read 22,451,777 times
There is PLENTY of housing in Grapevine under $300k. Look in the SW part of town near Hall-Johnson Road. I live off Heritage and the house 3 down across the street from me just went on the market 2 days ago for $220k, so they DO exist. You will need to have a good Realtor who can show properties quickly because the real estate market here is still very hot and they are under contract in a few days!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM

I guess I considered that part to be in Colleyville or Euless--not Grapevine--but you basically confirmed what I said--homes in Grapevine priced reasonably in good areas go fast...

and you are right--best thing to do is get realtor familiar with this part of NE Tarrant county...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 11,032,986 times
Messiah Luthern Academy in Keller.k-12 MLCA (http://www.messiahkeller.org/preschool_and_academy_MLCA.htm - broken link)

one in Colleyville....Crown of Life Luthern k-8
Welcome to the Crown of Life Lutheran School! (http://school.crownoflife.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid =1 - broken link)

Ft Worth Christian
Harvest Christian in Watagua
Faith Chrisitan in Grapevine
All Saints Episcolpal in Ft worth

(I have heard good things about all of theses)

YOu can look in NWFT Worth in hte Keller ISD areas like Heritage have tons of families and great amenties.
In your price range you can find quite a few homes in Keller. And a couple of neighborhoods are in walking distance to Messiah Luthern. (Willis cove, Carraige gate, Harpers glen, Flannigan hill are all very close)

Since you live in the area...get a map and drive around so you can see what the drive for your husband is. I know what you mean about long commute not being good for anyone in the family! (we did the 1 hour plus for 2 years in the DC area and living here with 20 minutes has made EVERYONE happy!!)

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for taking the time to help and offer. We'll probably be driving around like crazy on the weekends around those areas. It just makes my job a little easier hearing from those who live around these areas.

The only thing that stinks is our kids and even we are just now getting adjusted with friends, church, neighborhood, etc. But if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

Wish us luck (and if you pray, feel free to pray for us)!

Therese

Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 AM

3,040 posts, read 11,032,986 times
Know how you feel...we moved our kids 2 times in 2 years. I will say they are very happy here and have made some great friends!
The good thing is you are close and can really drive the areas and visit the schools etc...so you don't have to "jump" at the first house avail!

Feel free to PM me with any direct questions...I live in Keller and my kids attend Keller schools.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth