Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM

48 posts, read 123,016 times

Advertisements

The whole house reeked of cigarettes. I don't know how the realtor could present the house like that, I touched two door knobs and my hands were nasty.
Do you think paint alone would cover up smoke smell on drywall and ceilings? If not then a total remodel would cost a lot of money and the price doesn't reflect an allowance for that, and that isn't the only thing that needs to be replaced. The carpet was filthy with stains as well. The house had good bones and an excellent location however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Also, if you submit an offer, demand a professional fumigation & cleaning at sellers' expense!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Also, if you submit an offer, demand a professional fumigation & cleaning at sellers' expense!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I hope you left that comment on the open house sheet or with your realtor to pass along to the sellers'--
sometimes in this market people feel like they are getting hosed on the house price--maybe not making a profit at all after realtors' fees come out...so they are reluctant to do any make-ready--especially something that would cost quite a bit of money -- like repainting interior including ceilings...

some people WILL only smoke outside the home--we were in several when we were house shopping where the outside patio table had ashtray with butts in it (ugly but at least outside)...

could be that the house is rental and owner does not know the people are smoking--could be the people just don't care...
either way...that is definitely something that IF I really thought that house was the best choice for me, I would definitely price the cost to repaint and recarpet--and depending on the level of nicotine--you may have to have the woodwork really cleaned or painted...

it is amazing where that smell can go and hide--inside closets, in the garage, inside cabinets...

a bag of charcoal--opened and left out in enclosed space will also work as big air filter...
of course you should have the filters changed on the HVAC but smell can be inside the system and will blow out when it is turned on...
drapes--ugh...they are tainted...
needless to say, I just hate a smoker's home...
grew up in one...

Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
There is a paint I heard about on HGTV that covers smells. Not sure if Killz has forumlated it or who. But they recommended it for smoke/pet odors.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
People who smoke often don't understand that it really does make their house stink! Ultimately, the realtor is the SELLER's client, and is obligated to do what the seller wants them to do, even if that means holding an open house when the place smells like an ashtray. Perhaps the sellers couldn't understand why their house wasn't moving in an otherwise hot market?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
The stink gets into the HVAC system as well, and it's difficult to remove....and also expensive.

I'd have to REALLY REAAAAALLY like the property to go through all that, if indeed it can ever be completely removed everywhere.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM

218 posts, read 579,980 times
First thing we told realtors when we had a day to spend in a city looking at homes, do not even think about wasting our time looking at a smoking home. You will never get the stink out. I hate to be the ant at the picnic. Happy home hunting. This is a wonderful time to be on the buying end of things.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
You have to remember, For about the last 10 years since smoking is banned from offices, and most public places, that now people seem to just be conditioned to smoke outside.
But........back in the 60's 70's and until kinda mid 80's anyone who smoked smoke in the house and never gave it a second thought. Both my parents smoked and trust me, it is disgusting. Everything smelled like smoke, except my bedroom because I kept the door closed always. Holidays were awful, as I'm sure most of you people remember, a handful of adults smoking around the dining room table, and around children as well. I could go on, but I won't
The people whose house you saw might have been from the era of " I'm smoking in my house, and I just don't care.......

well, then they could lose a sale...

Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
smokers smoke where they are allowed to smoke--
I would almost bet the house was a rental and was supposed to be non-smoking occupants only...
some people get kick out of twarting authority...
but maybe every one in family smokes....adults and teens..
ugh...and agree smell is almost impossible to eradicate--I would not buy that house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth