Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 AM

21 posts, read 80,875 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Burleson! My wife and I are coming from the SF Bay Area. We've already got some friends in Dallas, so we're looking for some place to live in between Burleson and Dallas. The goal is to keep the commute to Burleson to around 30 mins, maybe 45 mins max.

We've visited DFW only once for 3 days, so we couldn't get a feel for commute times. Would commuting to Burleson from Las Colinas/Irving or Uptown Dallas be crazy? Google Maps say about 45-50mins for both places, but is that really true? What's traffic like? Would this be a "reverse" commute? Which Freeways would be best to take/avoid?

What other towns would you recommend? We are looking for a diverse area that is a little upscale. We'll probably rent for the first year (2bd around $1000/mo). We're in our early 30s. No kids yet, so schools aren't a priority.

Can't wait to move to TX

Last edited by SayHey; 04-03-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
in TX schools are always a consideration when you purchase a home for two reasons--tax rate and marketability/desireability
better ISDs normally have more desireable homes when you consider resale of your house and your tax rate for a good or bad ISD is often very close to the same rate so buy in a better district to start with...

that being said--
check a map and you will see that Burleson is SE of Dallas proper--and depending on where your friends are could be very distant from area like Plano or Frisco--
people say DALLAS when they could mean inside the Loop or as far as Frisco in some cases...

From Burleson--areas that would be within a 45 min drive and not move you farther west would include
Arlington, Mansfield, south Hulen area of FTW to Sundance Square, North Richland Hills, Hurst, Bedford, Euless, Grapevine, Colleyville, Keller (south part), Irving maybe too far east but depends on where you start/stop freeway driving
Maybe Saginaw, Wautauga but I-35 is the pits for commuting and they are farther from Dallas area

Coppell, Southlake, Colleyville don't have apts or rental prop in your price range
Carrollton, Farmer's Branch, Lewisville, Flower Mound probably too far east

Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks loves2read, Great info!

Are Coppell, Southlake, Colleyville the more upscale places to live? We have no problem increasing our price range if it is for a nice area. We actually considered paying $1400 for a 1bd in Uptown, but thought the suburbs would be much cheaper.

Do you know if I-20 or I-30 is better to take to Burleson coming from the Mid-Cities?

Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Southlake and Colleyville are upscale, but the commute from those areas (NE Tarrant County) to Burleson (SW Tarrant county) is going to be VERY lengthy. You will be going against traffic for most of it, but it is still a lot of miles to drive each day. You'd be lucky if your commute from those areas was under 45 minutes...

If you like downtown/uptown Dallas, you really need to look at downtown Fort Worth. They have loft and regular apartments, and there are SO many neat restuarants, etc. Look at the Montgomery Plaza and So7 areas. These are both newly re-developed and are nice! If you want a house, look at the area south of I-30 near the Colonial Country Club and TCU. VERY nice homes in a historic neighborhood!

Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Tanglewood area/TCU area in Fort Worth would be great for upscale and very cool.
Mansfield for schools.
It would be a hellish drive from Las Colinas or Uptown to Burleson. Good news; lots of great areas in Fort Worth that you would love!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 AM

since you won't see your Dallas friends except on weekends probably and not every weekend at that
your daily commute has much higher priority to me
so I really would consider checking out the downtown/Sundance/So7 arts district area of FTW
Hulen-Bryant Irvin is not bad area or by TCU

NO apts in Southlake, Colleyville and very few in Coppell--and that would be a BAD daily commute

Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 PM

The reason we considered Uptown was that we already have very close friends living there (who are also new to Dallas). Being new to DFW, this would have been a great comfort. I think it would have been cool to just hang out after work at a bar or restaurant nearby, or even just meet up and cook dinner for each other, etc. (Like the Friends TV Show lol) Density, walkabilty and a diversity of restaurants is probably the most appealing part of living in Uptown.

But, you all are right about the long commute. In the Bay Area, we are used to 15 mile commutes that take 45mins, but Uptown to Burleson would be 50 miles. Even with no traffic, it's a long ride. The more I think about the commute, the better downtown FW sounds.

As for downtown FW, we only saw Sundance Square and we were a little underwhelmed. It was an absolutely beautiful area: clean and charming, but I couldn't see myself actually shopping at the shops or eating at the restaurants. It seemed more like a nice day trip for tourists. And there seemed to be no one around. It looked a bit like a ghost town. There's just not the density for true "urban" living. But maybe that's just how it is in FTW--a quieter lifestyle, which I can totally appreciate!

We will totally check out the 7th street/cultural district and the areas around TCU too. As long as it's safe and convenient, we'll be happy, and we can still go to Dallas on the weekends. Plus it'll give our friends a reason to check out FTW

BTW, How are the restaurants around FTW? Not chains or fancy restaurants, but I mean everyday, hole-in-the-wall type places. We like a variety of things like vietnamese, indian, korean, bbq, pizza, japanese, etc....

Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
You couldn't pay me enought to drive from Uptown Dallas to Burleson and back daily. Don't even think about it! I live 2 miles east of TCU in the Ryan Place neighborhood, and it's quite nice.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM

74 posts, read 202,028 times
We live in Burleson and my neighbor works in Las Colinas. He was complaining about his hour each way to work (making it two hours a day back and forth) ~ YECH!!! I would definitely look into the Fort Worth area - all around TCU is nice like the other posters have suggested. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM

you are right--Sundance does not have things like grocery store for shopping or easy access to dry cleaners or doctors--you would have to drive out to get them--even something like last minute loaf of bread

check out the area around So7 on west side of the river--across from downtown
it is closer to the neighborhood amenities like grocery stores and dry cleaners
and has bars/entertainment--movie theater going in
there are some condos and apartments

area around TCU/Tanglewood, off Bellaire--
I30 and the Hulen area--where Central Market strip mall is--lots of shopping there but don't know how convenient walking there would be--high traffic

the Ridgelea Theater area on Camp Bowie has commercial on Camp Bowie but houses just behind it--would be easier to walk in from neighborhood
but not sure about apartments there

check a crime map--think there is issue with petty crimes like burglaries, car vandalism in area by Ridgelea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth