U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 AM

8 posts, read 21,632 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Considering buying a new home in Trophy club (west side of Tclub) and wonder if anyone on the board has heard of issues with Foundations in the subdivision.

If so, can you tell me about the issues and relative location of the issues inside trophy club

I guess i might as well open the post up to anything that one wishes they knew about tclub before moving there (little annoyances etc)

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 AM

10,562 posts, read 22,476,137 times
Bad thing about Trophy Club is access is very limited. It sits on one side of the freeway and only access is a one-way service road. That means traffic going out at rush hour will back up.

Almost any area in N Texas can have foundation problems. Hire a structural engineer ($300 or so) to do an inspection to CYA.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM

32,589 posts, read 51,171,562 times
Foundation issues come for many different reasons--it is impossible to say specifically about YOUR house--
most homes in this area are built with a post-tension slab construction--
done correctly and maintained property--MOST homes don't have a problem with foundation issues...

BUT foundations on most homes are done to minimum standards and often done poorly...
AND people don't always pay attention to their watering, gutter leaks, or intial indications that the foundation might be failing...

It is also possible to have a home with a foundation that fails because of geographical fault shifts--know someone that had that happen to their house in Bedford area more than 15 yrs ago

The DFW metroplex has variety of geographical topsoils--the expansive clays are the most dangerous...

Ideally every home that is built would have an individual core sample taken to determine the soil composition for the foundation and have the foundation designed accordingly...but that does not happen--developers are allowed to take core samples for a neighborhood under construction from a variety of points within the development vs at every home site--and depending on the area there can be a great difference in lots 300 yds apart...
Piered beam construction on slad is superior design but still have to be well-constructed --it is too expensive to do a piered beam slab for any "tract" home less than 600K probably and usually the only homes that have piered beam foundations are custom homes---
the house we bought a year or so ago was custom designed/built by family and local builder--it has a piered beam slab--which was important feature to us and difficult to find on resale market--but even so that does not automatically mean there won't be foundation issues...

IF you are buying a new-construction home, you should still get an inspection by qualified third-party inspector with some background in engineering/home construction---not just someone who has gotten certified by taking classes...your builder might not like that but I would make it a feature of my offer to purchase--and tie any recommend repairs into the purchase price as well...
it is entirely possible to have a new home pass the city inspection and the builder's inspection and still have MAJOR construction flaws...even if the builder is offering an extended home warranty contract--
GET the inspection first...

I would definitely ask about flood plain issues--part of that area was low-lands before new construction was undertaken--and marshy when there was lot of rain--
the flood maps in Tarrant and surrounding counties have been in process of revision since the flooding in 2007--you should check with the county supervisor or city public works or just call the Denton office of FEMA to see if that particular area is under revision...

DO YOU HAVE A REALTOR--people here always suggest that anyone buying even a new construction home have a knowledgeable realtor to act as YOUR agent and offer advice...
sales people in the builder's office are just that--they are working to make a sale...

You can run a search for Trophy Club on Fort Worth or Dallas forums and see the posts that come us--there are quite a few threads

my issue with Trophy Club is that it IS isolated--the only thing that has made it less isolated is that growth has finally come closer to it in past 8 yrs--Southlake is reaching out and the area around Alliance is growing--but it is still difficult to get from Trophy Club into downtown FTW or Dallas--
114 is busy and getting more clogged as people move to Haslet area and use 114 to come into DFW area...

AND consider who is coming to visit you--I have done house searches in Trophy Club when we were looking for a house and I find it is one of the MOST confusing neighborhoods--easy to get lost in--difficult to give people directions
Maybe your neighborhood is not really IN the older development of Trophy Club itself but one outside--
also make sure you know the city/county you are buying in
some of that development is UNENCORPORATED land--that means you have different public services/oversight

you can check online at www.tad.org if it is in Tarrant county
don't know web address for Denton but you can Google it...

and frankly I think Northwest ISD is overrated--their statistics before all the growth started were not stellar and the new growth always makes it difficult for a district to adjust and adapt to the influx of students from other ISDs/states--building a new school does not mean there is going to be great teaching--you can hope but you can't assume...

Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM

121 posts, read 378,770 times
Love Trophy Club and we have had no issues with our foundation. We love Northwest ISD too. The teachers and staff are super professional and the new Byron Nelson High School is upscale. The curriculum provides rigor. Lakeview elementary has between 98% - 100% on their TAKS scores so they must be doing something right too. The community is close to shopping and you have a nice mix of young families, older families, and retirees. There is something for everyone. But since I live here I am biased. But I have only lived here a year, and I feel like the welcome mat has been rolled out for us!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 PM

410 posts, read 1,559,043 times
If you want to more information visit Homeowners for Better Building, Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings. You can also look at ripoff report to see if there are any complaints, bbb, or google builder's name with words like defects, problems, etc.
Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth