U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM

295 posts, read 876,993 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

I've lived in Fort Worth (specifically in Keller) for the past 2 years and I'm still having trouble killing the weeds in my yard. I've used the stuff I find at Lowes and Home Depot with mild success. A few weeks ago I even asked the guy at the store what works and he recommended a new brand which made little to no difference. So, what have you guys used that worked??? I have at least 3-5 different types of weeds with the mos predominant being some crabgrass and a light-green, flowerless weed that grows low but spreads like crazy! oh and also another one that grows a little purple flowers.

Your help is much appreciated. If you can provide specific product names, brands and where you bought them as well as how you applied them, that would help the most.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
MSMA used to be the drug of choice to kill crabgrass but it has been pulled from the market because it used arsenic
I have a blue bottle from Bayer mfg you apply with a 2 gal spray jub that says it kills weeds and crabgrass but did not see the same thing when I went to HD to get weedkiller last week...
I used broad leaf spray application that has started to show some effect on certain weeds in the yard...
the HD guy when I could not find the crabgrass killer per se told me that there are like 3 levels of weed control products--base, better, best--in a product line and the one I got from Spectracide was supposedly the best in that line--(more expensive of course)
nettles and other weeds are dying--crab grass not really...will be using a drop spreader weed killer/fertilizer after this rain--if it ever shows up...
don't put it out before--it will really just wash away vs melt in if there is any serious rain

many garden/yard experts tell you that a healthy yard with grass that has good root system and a balanced mineral count (like enough iron and sulphur) will basically overwhelm weeds and choke them out...
I think that is kind of symplistic because where there is a large crop of weeds--even if they die--their bodies are filling a spot physically until it decomposes so grass can't automatically cover that dead weed--that is problem with us--if we kill the weeds, we still have to pull them out so grass can take their places ...and that is a real pain to do...

you should consider getting your dirt tested --Calloways usually does this in spring for free--to see if you need iron, sulphur, or other additions to give the yard the right Ph reading
you should not overwater--because that makes a shallow root system
you should probably aerate your yard--most tract homes have surface dirt that is basically worthless--no nutrients and is hard a clay so offers no good topsoil base for grass to grow in...aerating helps break up the bad soil --that is hard to do and expensive to rent the equipment--lots of lawn care companies don't do it
dethatching is something to consider as well--
if people don't bag their grass and either let the debris blow out the side or mulch as some mowers do, a thatch of dead grass builds up and can make like a cap on top of the soil--preventing water absorption and allowing bad conditions like fungus to take hold...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 AM

150 posts, read 371,188 times
We used Bayer last year with pretty good results almost overnight, so we tried it again this year and saw absolutely no results and it's been a week! So I grabbed some Ortho Max and saw results overnight. Both of the ones I have used have been the ones you connect to your hose and spray. I have various weeds and so far, they all seem to have been affected by the Ortho Max spray

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,034,237 times
One very cheap and very effective home remedy is pure, undiluted cheap white vinegar.

The drawback is that it kills everything, so you have to be careful where you spray! I use it in the backyard because of the dogs.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
you can dilute it to mitigate its strength--does not have to be 100% to work -- I have used it for edging along fences and the wood expansion strips in our driveway/sidewalks

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your input guys! I just came back from HD and couldn't pick up a bottle without thinking "Will this stuff work???" I saw the typical, Bayer, Ortho, Spectracide, etc. Some with crabgrass control, some without. I also saw this product called "Image". Seems home made and only targets a few weeds but twice the price as all of the other commercial stuff. In the end I did not buy anything. I figured I'll give this post a few days and see what other people have used and ACTUALLY worked.

Oh and last, I saw the little 1 GAL spray tank you can use with concentrate... I wondered if this was an even better approach than the hose-attachment thingies. At least it should give me some control over the strength of the mix? anybody have used these??

thanks again!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM

3,033 posts, read 11,028,507 times
We bit the bullet and hired a lawn sevice. It was been 1 year and this spring...not 1 danelion, or any other flowering weed. we still have a few stray grasses that come up but our yard is 1000 times better than the last 2 years. We got feed up with spending $$$ and wasting an afternoon sprayting, and pulling.
our yard was filled with...crabgrasss,that other clumpy grass, a ton of winter rye and dandelions and the purple flower weeds...

We use Nutri Green They are local and family owned company. I seriously was skeptical about it since it's expensive (about 60/month) But he said give me a year.... and we did and it's amazing!!
They really educate you on the lawn and how best to mow and water etc... we moved from the east coast and the burmuda grass was really new to us.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM

95 posts, read 235,522 times
5Stones- is Nutri Green a natural product (good for the environment) or is the typical harsh chemicals. I think I'm going bite the bullet next year for all of the reasons you mentioned above. I really would like to go to a natural/green product.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM

3,033 posts, read 11,028,507 times
I don't think so but call them. The man who owns it is a wealth of information.

He told us that for the clay soil here instead of aeration for the lawn (remove plugs of grass...done back east to promote healthy roots etc...) They use Gypsum.

He might also be able to point you to a company that does.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info 5stones. I do think $60 a month is expensive but if you are getting those results, maybe it's worth it. How big a yard do you have? my yard is fairly big, about 1/2 acre and I wonder if his prices will vary based on size of yard? do you happen to have his website too?

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth