U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM

4,623 posts, read 7,755,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I was thinking the suburbs west of Fort Worth would be a better bet. Some of the Northern suburbs are diversifying fast.
Keller seems to be leading way in far north Tarrant County in diversifying. I know of some black Americans that have moved up that way. I think the trend will increase in the future with more minorities venturing north.

Rate this post positively

Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Keller seems to be leading way in far north Tarrant County in diversifying. I know of some black Americans that have moved up that way. I think the trend will increase in the future with more minorities venturing north.

Which is great! I dream of a DFW where we do see African-Americans and other minorities venturing up to places that were so white they would blind you. I dont like it when a black person says hes coming into DFW and everyone automatically suggests Cedar Hill or Desoto. Those are great places, but there are great places up north too. People should be able to go where they wish.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM

378 posts, read 383,672 times
You know, it's really hypocritical that blacks and hispanics can CHOOSE to segregate themselves, but blast whites who talk about segregation. Blacks and hispanics can inquire about minority-owned businesses, about black or hispanic community based activities, etc. but heaven forbid a white person should make a similar inquiry.

I'm not defending the original poster; I'm addressing the issue of hypocrisy, something I consider offensive.

A news story came out awhile back about some couple who are promoting this nationwide movement encouraging blacks to ONLY support black-owned and operated businesses. HOW racist is that??

But someone wants to live in a predominantly white community, so they're automatically a racist.

Racism is a two-way street, folks. And what is labeled "racism" isn't always . . .

Gee, I thought we are all just PEOPLE.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 PM

22 posts, read 74,628 times
It seems some people in this thread are assuming the OP is a racist. Some others are blindy defending the OP while simultaneously attacking other posters as hypocrites. The fact is: the curious lack of info/reasoning by the OP has left it open to many assumptions. You know what happens when you assume!

In defense of the "hypocrites"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
You know, it's really hypocritical that blacks and hispanics can CHOOSE to segregate themselves, but blast whites who talk about segregation.
You know, it's really not that simple. There's a difference when someone chooses to BE WITH a certain group (inclusive) versus when someone chooses to ISOLATE themselves from other groups (exclusive). The former being a common motivation for minority or underrepresented groups. The latter being a common motivation for social or class discrimination, and usually something not readily admitted. Sometimes it can be a mix of both.

Quote:
Blacks and hispanics can inquire about minority-owned businesses, about black or hispanic community based activities, etc. but heaven forbid a white person should make a similar inquiry.
It does make me raise an eyebrow when a white person makes a similar inquiry. The fact is that many blacks, hispanics, asians or whatever rely on businesses or activities that may not be a part of mainstream American culture thus making it hard to find in some areas. For example, you can't just walk into any Tom Thumb and pick up some Lengua or Chinese broccoli. When a white person makes a similar inquiry, I wonder what exactly are these white-based needs or activities that they are having trouble finding?

Back to the OP...

If the OP wants to live in a predominantly white community, no one should make a judgement unless they know his reasoning. In this case the OP did not explain himself clearly other than "that's what he's used to." Maybe there's more to it. maybe there's not. Is he racist? no one should assume either way.

I guess the big question to the OP is what percentage of non-whites would he be comfortable with?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 PM

4,623 posts, read 7,755,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
To tell you the truth, I find the phrasing of the OP suspect and maybe really a wind-up. Unless you move to the North Side or to areas of East Fort Worth you are largely going to be in whitey land. I don't know why anyone would assume that Fort Worth isn't mostly white anyway. If the OP had said something like, "I'm considering a move to Fort Worth and would like to know what the poverty/predominantly minority areas are that I should avoid in a search for rentals", I might have had a different impression. It could still represent encoded bigotry, but would at least indicate that the OP was trying to avoid wasting time on a property search that might include places in more dangerous and crime-ridden parts of town. Now obviously there are middle class predominantly black and hispanic areas of Fort Worth, but the fact is that unless the OP is able to live in a very affluent area of town, he/she is quite likely to wind up in a neighborhood that does include some non-whites. We don't have apartheid laws in this country.
I like the fact that you acknowledge there are middle class minority communities. Fort Worth natives have to also understand crime east of I 35 is at all time low. Areas around Loop 820 off John T. White are booming with new housing development. My two sisters have the luxury of attending school in Birdville ISD and not the Fort Worth ISD. My sister told me she loves the Birdville ISD and she is the most popular kid in school. She has not had any bad experience except for one when a Hispanic kid asked her was she "The N-Word". She told my mother it didn't bother her and she just ignored him. My sister has made straight A's and her vocabulary has expanded. My mom said she gets nothing but praises from her teachers. The subdivision my mom stay's in has white, black, Asian and Hispanic families.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 AM

378 posts, read 383,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHey View Post
You know, it's really not that simple. There's a difference when someone chooses to BE WITH a certain group (inclusive) versus when someone chooses to ISOLATE themselves from other groups (exclusive). The former being a common motivation for minority or underrepresented groups. The latter being a common motivation for social or class discrimination, and usually something not readily admitted. Sometimes it can be a mix of both.
I agree with your "be with" and "isolate" examples, but the fact is, most blacks and hispanics do both, and it is accepted by society at large, particularly by those who readily identify themselves as liberals.

And the further fact is, if a white person (assuming he or she is not a member of KKK or a skinhead) wants to live in a predominantly white community, they are automatically labeled a racist. But could he or she not simply feel a "common motivation" to "be with" a certain group of citizens with whom he or she feels more comfortable?

The whole one-sided facet of this topic is irrational. It just makes no sense that a Black or Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, LULAC, NAACP, and on and on and on can actually exist without much hoopla . . . but dare ANY white person attempt or even insinuate the idea of some sort of all-white organization or community . . . well, we know what that amounts to: KKK, skinheads, etc. Fact is, for the most part, no well-educated, upper-class, sensible white people openly and determinedly advocate white-only groups and organizations. But this country is FULL of well-educated, upper-class, and seemingly sensible BLACKS and HISPANICS who spend every day openly and loudly promoting black-only or hispanic-only groups and activities and thinking!

If white people of equal socio-economic status tried to promote the kinds of things that these high-profile blacks and hispanics do, there would be nation-wide outrage! Jackson and Sharpton would be ready to hang them in the public square. What would happen if someone said ok, let's organize the Caucasian Chamber of Commerce . . .

Quote:
It does make me raise an eyebrow when a white person makes a similar inquiry. The fact is that many blacks, hispanics, asians or whatever rely on businesses or activities that may not be a part of mainstream American culture thus making it hard to find in some areas. For example, you can't just walk into any Tom Thumb and pick up some Lengua or Chinese broccoli.
I'm sorry, but I do not believe that "mainstream American culture" today is strictly white-based. MAC is broad and very diverse.

Quote:
If the OP wants to live in a predominantly white community, no one should make a judgement unless they know his reasoning.
Agreed. And because the OP was labeled a racist, I commented on the hypocrisy factor.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 AM

22 posts, read 74,628 times
Quote:
I agree with your "be with" and "isolate" examples, but the fact is, most blacks and hispanics do both, and it is accepted by society at large, particularly by those who readily identify themselves as liberals.
Most blacks and hispanics do both? That's a terrible blanket statement. You really must have no understanding of why ethnic communities even develop. And why the random attack on liberals?

Quote:
And the further fact is, if a white person (assuming he or she is not a member of KKK or a skinhead) wants to live in a predominantly white community, they are automatically labeled a racist. But could he or she not simply feel a "common motivation" to "be with" a certain group of citizens with whom he or she feels more comfortable?
Dude, I think you missed my whole point. Racism is a hard thing to prove without knowing someone's motivations. I just said people shouldn't assume.

Quote:
The whole one-sided facet of this topic is irrational. It just makes no sense that a Black or Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, LULAC, NAACP, and on and on and on can actually exist without much hoopla . . . but dare ANY white person attempt or even insinuate the idea of some sort of all-white organization or community . . . well, we know what that amounts to: KKK, skinheads, etc.
All those organization you listed were started as a result of being underrepresented at one point or another. This is common for any minority group, wether it be ethnic or political, to protect against discrimination or marginalization.

Quote:
Fact is, for the most part, no well-educated, upper-class, sensible white people openly and determinedly advocate white-only groups and organizations. But this country is FULL of well-educated, upper-class, and seemingly sensible BLACKS and HISPANICS who spend every day openly and loudly promoting black-only or hispanic-only groups and activities and thinking!

If white people of equal socio-economic status tried to promote the kinds of things that these high-profile blacks and hispanics do, there would be nation-wide outrage! Jackson and Sharpton would be ready to hang them in the public square. What would happen if someone said ok, let's organize the Caucasian Chamber of Commerce . . .
Of course there are no openly and determinedly advocate white-only groups and organizations. Having a whites-only organization is absurd because whites are already disproportionately represented. Although, there's one exception I recently read about: there was a guy who recently tried to start an all-white professional basketball league

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I do not believe that "mainstream American culture" today is strictly white-based. MAC is broad and very diverse.
Your putting words in my mouth. I never said MAC was "white-based." I agree that MAC is getting broader and more diverse everyday, but you're never going to see saris sold at Sears, or chicken feet at Whole Foods.

I don't see any point discussing this any further unfortunately. I never really should have allowed myself to be baited into a race discussion on the internet. It's a no win situation. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,014,310 times
Quote:
You know, it's really hypocritical that blacks and hispanics can CHOOSE to segregate themselves, but blast whites who talk about segregation. Blacks and hispanics can inquire about minority-owned businesses, about black or hispanic community based activities, etc. but heaven forbid a white person should make a similar inquiry.

I'm not defending the original poster; I'm addressing the issue of hypocrisy, something I consider offensive.

A news story came out awhile back about some couple who are promoting this nationwide movement encouraging blacks to ONLY support black-owned and operated businesses. HOW racist is that??

But someone wants to live in a predominantly white community, so they're automatically a racist.

Racism is a two-way street, folks. And what is labeled "racism" isn't always . . .

Gee, I thought we are all just PEOPLE.
Exactly. But it's not a two-way street, and never has been.

Blacks who run foundations and own businesses are allowed to hire only blacks, but demand affirmative action/preferential treatment when the business is white-owned.

It is indeed hypocrisy to the max!

We will never be "just PEOPLE" until they get rid of the race box on the census, job applications, housing, etc.

Non-whites further segregate and differentiate themselves with their own special organizations--La Raza, LULAC, NAACP, Congressional Hispanic/Black Caucus, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on.....

Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,916 times
In my humble opinion (IMHO) & from personal experiences ~~ there are several counties in the smack middle of Texas that are referred to as the 'White Triangle'. Most Texans know that the 'Golden Triangle' is the Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange area of Texas which has a community named VIDOR which is well-known as a KKK white-supremacy hang-out! The 'White Triangle' consists mainly of 3 counties ~~Comanche, Hamilton, & Mills~~ where very few non-Caucasians reside. Years ago there were warning signs posted about NOT being caught in that area after the sun went down or you would face the consequences. That's pretty much in the past due to political correctness (PC) but one can remain assured that the prejudices are still there~~however be it incognito or just below the surface. This is a very laid-back and easy-going part of the state, very rural and a lot of semi-retired older folk on social security. It's only an hours drive or so to either D/FW, Austin, Waco or Abilene. My experience was that the people are friendly enough, but rather clannish.. Do a search with BING.COM or your favorite search engine for "Comanche" or "Hamilton" or "Goldthwaite" TX or Texas and you will find maps and ads to help you along in your search. God's speed.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 AM

19,864 posts, read 59,935,446 times
Closed for mod review as most posts are off topic.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth