U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

22 posts, read 74,595 times

Advertisements

I've been researching newer luxury apartments in Downtown Forth Worth, but I'm still not familiar with the area. Can somebody describe the different neighborhoods?

Upper West Side
Sundance Square
Trinity Bluff
Uptown
Cultural District
7th Street
Near Southside
Fairmount

Do I have these right? Did I missing anything?

I'm interested in which are the safest areas? Convenient to grocery, shopping, restaurants, etc.? Most walkable? Which neighborhoods are older, more established? Which are are still developing? Which are more oriented to college students or professionals? etc.

Any tips would be highly appreciated! It'd be nice to have a list of apartments to check out on my upcoming visit. Price range is anywhere from $850 to $1400 for a 1bd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 PM

165 posts, read 357,196 times
Hi, SayHey,

After living in the Fort Worth area since the mid-1980's I hope I can give you an accurate assessment of the areas on your list. (without getting too wordy) In the order you listed them:

Upper West Side-7th Street (?)I'm a bit stumped on this one from a name standpoint so I will speculate that this is the new development found along West 7th street between the Cultural District and downtown. In any event, many new townhomes, condos, and apartments have been built there in the past few years along West 7th. The redeveloped former Montgomery Ward building is central as the retail hub. A large Target store is found behind the retail shops in the Montgomery Ward Building as well as numerous specialty retail outlets in the same complex. This is found on the north side of West 7th while even newer development is found on the (south) opposite side of the street. New urban residential development begins at Henderson Street on the western edge of downtown and continues along West 7th until you reach the Cultural District where University and West 7th intersect. Most apartments in the area are market rate and some are upscale and in the luxury category. You should be able to find a 1 bedroom there within your price range and some units may have incentives available for new tenants as well. Best to visit and confirm personally what is available. As far as crime, I would rate it as very safe.

Sundance Square-Beginning in the 1970's Fort Worth's iconic Bass family began to invest and transform this formerly declining part of downtown. It is centered by Main and Houston streets and extends over much of the northern end of downtown to include such landmarks as the Bass Performance Hall, Sundance Square, the Renaissance Worthington Hotel, and many other major downtown landmarks. A number of former commercial buildings have been converted to condos and apartments in the area with apartments being far fewer in number than condos. Given that it is at the energy center of downtown, available urban residential units trend towards the luxury, high-end of the market. Checking with a local realtor familiar with the downtown residential market would be the best bet. Both the Bass personal security detail as well as Fort Worth downtown PD heavily patrol this area, so it is relatively safe. The only distraction might be the frequent (sometimes noisy) festivals and downtown events. (such as the Main Street Arts festival)

Trinity Bluff/Uptown-my neighborhood-Until the early 2000's, most Fort Worthians would have advised you to stay away from this long neglected area along Samuels Avenue over the bluffs of the Trinity River. It had a well-deserved unsavory reputation as a gang hangout and cross-through street for transients. My wife and I bought a neglected Victorian to restore but the neighborhood was downright scary in those days! Developer Tom Struhs had the vision and the wherewithall to see a much better potential and quietly began to buy up properties. After acquiring enough acreage, Struhs announced a major development on the south end of Samuels Avenue (where neglected sometimes derelict homes once stood) rebranding it Trinity Bluff/Uptown in the process. A proposed town lake for the future should make this one of the most exciting parts of downtown. In any event, Mr. Struhs built Villa De Leon, the most expensive luxury condo tower ever in Fort Worth and other developers built the Palisades condos and Trinity Bluff development. (not sure whether they are condos or not) Lincoln Properties has recently completed a large complex of apartments (Lincoln Park) in the 500 block of Samuels, some with spectacular views of the downtown skyline and the Trinity River below. I know some of these brand new apartments are still available although most of the coveted downtown view units (with higher priced rents) are already occupied. I would think you could find an apartment in Lincoln Park in your price range. Central downtown is within walking distance but you have to cross busy Belknap and Weatherford Streets to get there. Crime today is low with a police storefront just a block away. Where gunshots were frequent 20 years ago, today families with children and infants in strollers now ply the sidewalks along Samuels Avenue.

Cultural District- I'm least familiar with the residential mix in the cultural district itself, so I'll leave this one for someone else to describe. I would think the proximity to some of Fort Worth's biggest attractions might cause rents in newer complexes there to be higher, but there are definitely some detached homes that are rented as well as a few older apartment complexes.

Near Southside-Similar to the Trinity Bluff/Uptown area, this would not have been a viable option a decade or more ago. However, it is at a nexus of new development with market rate condos and apartments along the central streets. There are still a few troublesome pockets of poverty along the eastern boundry but overall it is improving rapidly. I don't have any first-hand information about crime but I've seen some statistical databases for crime in Fort Worth by neighborhood. Apartments in this area although quite new should also be affordable. It is not within walking distance of downtown but is relatively close to TCU and the Forest Park area.

Fairmount-when Fort Worthians are asked about urban historic neighborhoods that have been revitalized in this city, Fairmount comes first to mind. Like many older neglected areas, Fairmount was a dangerous neighborhood until some "urban pioneers" got together and despite opposition from absentee and low-income landlords, managed to get the area designated a National Register Historic District. That change was the catalyst for a wave of restorations of the numerous turn-of-the-last-century homes found along Fairmount's quaint streets. Property values have increased rapidly in recent years and troublesome areas are shrinking. On the southern boundry along Magnolia Avenue, a lot of new development has and is taking place there and should one want to find an apartment, there's probably one available nearby at an affordable price. Crime is fairly low except in a few areas close to Hemphill street such as Lipscomb Avenue but even there it is declining.

I know I left out a lot of information and maybe inadvertently made a minor error or two, but this should give you some idea of what's "out there" in terms of the urban Fort Worth apartment market in the neighborhoods you listed. I'm sure others can chime in with more details, just be specific about the information you are seeking. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM

12,481 posts, read 9,327,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHey View Post
I've been researching newer luxury apartments in Downtown Forth Worth, but I'm still not familiar with the area. Can somebody describe the different neighborhoods?

Upper West Side
Sundance Square
Trinity Bluff
Uptown
Cultural District
7th Street
Near Southside
Fairmount

Do I have these right? Did I missing anything?

I'm interested in which are the safest areas? Convenient to grocery, shopping, restaurants, etc.? Most walkable? Which neighborhoods are older, more established? Which are are still developing? Which are more oriented to college students or professionals? etc.

Any tips would be highly appreciated! It'd be nice to have a list of apartments to check out on my upcoming visit. Price range is anywhere from $850 to $1400 for a 1bd.
Sundance Square. Nice in the middle of downtown near fun and restaurants a dollar store is near but big grocery store a couple of miles

trinity Bluff : newer apartments long way from any shopping Surrounded by an improving area

Upper west side: Closer to grocery store and a bit further from the heart of downtown. i have drove by some of these and the vacancy rate seems higher than a couple of years ago. I had friends moved out of these as fast as they could and some stay there there for a couple of years. Younger crown probably cheaper

Cultural district is where i live some great new apartments and condos close to groceries. Further from the life of downtown. I am in a house . Some houses can be rented as cheap as apartments. A little older crown

Fairmont is in the hospital district there are some great newer apartments but they border some pretty rough areas. Great area inside the Fairmont area but surrounded by neighborhoods needing a make over. Once again a house in here might be as cheap as an new apartment
near south side is an area they are trying to developer and it has some promise, i would stay away from there for now IMHO

Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,370,653 times
I pretty much agree with vintrest. My spouse and I really like the Fairmount/Berkeley/Ryan Place areas as well as Camp Bowie/7th St. The only thing I can think of that might be a drawback if you live "downtown" is a grocery store and maybe some other amenities. If I am not mistaken I don't think there is one. I feel that for downtowns to cater to locals living in a city center, they need to have these amenities available. On a side note, one of my friends that lives in FW told me that Southside has a ways to go but that it has really improved.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks Vintrest! Excellent rundown on the history of these neighborhoods. Much appreciated!

Looking at the Trinity Bluffs/Uptown website, it looks like there's still a lot in development. The illustrations look amazing, wow! Is there a lot of construction going on still. Is it noisy/dusty?

wjtwet, is the cultural district close to the West 7th street development? What are the crowds like there? What grocery store do most shop at?

I think I am leaning towards either Trinity Bluff, Cultural District and West 7th...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM

32,480 posts, read 50,954,572 times
So7 is what is the west 7th street development area is being called
south of 7th...that is kind of borderline area too because it is definitely being gentrified--
Arthouse Art House So7 South of Seventh Grand Opening Party (http://www.highrises.com/blog/fort-worth/fort-worths-so7-arthouse-condos-grand-opening-scheduled/ - broken link)
South of Seventh - Architecture in Fort Worth's Cultural District (http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/cd/So7.htm - broken link)
and you might find this web site informative--had different areas of the city on top bars
Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 357,196 times
SayHey,

In response to your followup, yes there is still one on-going construction project on the extreme south end of Samuels Avenue/Trinity Bluff where it connects to Belknap Street. Marriot Corporation is constructing a large, extended stay hotel, now about 80% or more complete. Although construction traffic is far thinner than last summer, there still is a minimal amount. No other new projects have broken ground in the neighborhood recently and I predict that none will begin again until the current recession shows clear signs of improvement. (especially in the commercial real estate market) All other Trinity Bluff projects are completed to the best of my knowledge. One other factor to consider is the sound of frequent trains that pass east of Samuels Avenue on the Santa Fe tracks. I'm sure Lincoln Properities in their new Lincoln Park complex have taken steps to mitigate the noise, but it does exist nonetheless. After living here for over 20 years, I'm barely aware of it. As for grocery stores, we usually go to the Super-Target on West 7th. Downtown really needs a real grocery store but after years of asking for one, we still await the news.

It would be best to visit in person both the Trinity Bluff, West 7th, and Cultural District so that after seeing what is available, you can make your best choice. If you are in Fort Worth this weekend, the Main street Arts Festival downtown in the Sundance Square area is worth a visit and you can get a good impression for this downtown section as well. If you don't mind, your observations and feedback in this search would be interesting to hear and might be helpful for others contemplating on making the same move down the road.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,370,653 times
I just got back from FW tonight visiting friends who live there and we went to Southside/Magnolia St. I was impressed and amazed at how much has changed in the area and for the better. There are lights on all the trees on Magnolia and there were some restaurants that were pretty busy for a Thursday night. It was 100 times better than when I was in college, which the only places that seemed "normal" was Marquis on Magnolia and an ice cream/soda shop (I don't know if if it is still there, I didn't see it). I was pretty impressed with how the area seemed to be improved. It was very clean and there were quite a few people but I can see from being there that it needs some more work still. If you are in the area, check out The Usual on Magnolia. An awesome bar that bases their menu on the prohibition era(Harvey Wallbanger/Sazerac/Moscow Mule, etc). Great drinks...and strong too!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 AM

12,481 posts, read 9,327,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHey View Post
Thanks Vintrest! Excellent rundown on the history of these neighborhoods. Much appreciated!

Looking at the Trinity Bluffs/Uptown website, it looks like there's still a lot in development. The illustrations look amazing, wow! Is there a lot of construction going on still. Is it noisy/dusty?

wjtwet, is the cultural district close to the West 7th street development? What are the crowds like there? What grocery store do most shop at?

I think I am leaning towards either Trinity Bluff, Cultural District and West 7th...
cultural district and the west 7th area are adjacent and very close to a super target

Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM

What exactly is a SuperTarget? Like a extra large Target with groceries? Do they have meat and produce? Is it 24 hrs? I figure we can just drive down to Central Market for serious grocery shopping lol.

I'm beginning to like the centrality of the cultural district/west 7th area. Checking the maps, Magnolia St., Central Market, shopping malls, etc. are just a short drive away.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We'll check everything out this week, and I'll report back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth