Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times

Advertisements

I have been in security/law enforcement all my life and am seriously considering going into nursing. Does anyone have any factual data on what I should expect from nursing school, jobs, etc? I live in the DFW area. I love helping people and took care of my grandmother(with her meds, feeding her, etc) for almost two years before she passed. I have no proper schooling in nursing, but have some friends who are nurses and love it. My wife thinks I would make a good one. Also, is there alot of math involved on the job and/or school? Thanks for all who respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
there is math involved--the quickest one that comes to my mind is that nurses have to understand about amounts of medications/body weight/time factor to make sure that patients are medicated correctly...
I am sure there are other math factors...but don't know how they are manifested in course curriculum

UT Arlington, Texas Women's both have very well regarded nursing schools--very competitive...
if you have been out of college for a while you are probably going to have to go back and take a full course of undergrad work with the nursing specialization...

there is info on line about those programs as well as nursing on this forum--run a search

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM

thank you

Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
My spouse is a nurse and there definitely is math involved with nursing, especially with medications/cc units, etc.

I have a friend that is going back to school at TCC to become a nurse after being out for college for 10 years. She has a 4 year degree from a state university and basically all she has to take is the basic medical courses, anatomy and physiology, A & P II, etc. She did have to retake biology though. After she passes all these courses and if she has decent grades, she will take the entry exam (I don't know what it is called) and if she passes, will then be in the nursing program. It is not a quick fix and has been hard. In her situation, she is working full time and is only able to take one class at a time and studies ALL the time. The advisors told her that she would be not be able to work while/if she gets in the nursing program so if you can wing it and take more than one course a semester and not work, you will be able to get through it quicker.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Go for the RN instead of the LVN. You'll usually spend LESS money, and there will be more job opportunities.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
agree that the RN is the better choice than LVN but what about another specialty like radiation tech or ultra sound--or even audiology tech
not directly hands-on care and pay is not at the higher levels but some of those are two yr degrees or less...

the one I would not recommend is PT--that field is really getting crowded and you need a MS in specialty area for many of the jobs out there

Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I have been in security/law enforcement all my life and am seriously considering going into nursing. Does anyone have any factual data on what I should expect from nursing school, jobs, etc? I live in the DFW area. I love helping people and took care of my grandmother(with her meds, feeding her, etc) for almost two years before she passed. I have no proper schooling in nursing, but have some friends who are nurses and love it. My wife thinks I would make a good one. Also, is there alot of math involved on the job and/or school? Thanks for all who respond!

Are or were you a cop? Or do you mean security officer? Many people I know who go from cop to nurse DO NOT like it. Very different way of handling people...

Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
agree that the RN is the better choice than LVN but what about another specialty like radiation tech or ultra sound--or even audiology tech
not directly hands-on care and pay is not at the higher levels but some of those are two yr degrees or less...
I'm an HR Manager in the healthcare industry.

Radiology Tech is VERY oversupplied. I can't recommend going into that field. Audiology Tech jobs are few and far between. There is not a shortage of Speech-Language Pathologists, so there's little demand for the Techs.

Don't get me started on the Medical Assistant field...expensive school and NO JOBS for the graduates!!

Ultrasound is an excellent field (cardiac, especially) but the training is tough and there is a lot of math involved. One of my best friends is a cardiac ultrasound tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the one I would not recommend is PT--that field is really getting crowded and you need a MS in specialty area for many of the jobs out there
Don't know where you got your info, but Texas requires a PhD to be a PT, so they supply has gone WAY down since it now requires 8 years of schooling! As a result, PT job market is HOT HOT HOT! Since there is such an undersupply of PTs, the PT Assistant market is also HOT. Tarrant County College has the 2-year PTA program and the grads usually have jobs waiting for them.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Are or were you a cop? Or do you mean security officer? Many people I know who go from cop to nurse DO NOT like it. Very different way of handling people...

I have been both. Cop in the military and security in the private sector. The thing is I really like helping people, just unsure of the math part. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I have been both. Cop in the military and security in the private sector. The thing is I really like helping people, just unsure of the math part. Thanks!

Oh okay, I would say go for it! I meant being a cop in like a city for example, thats a lot different than being military police. And many have a hard time adjusting. But you should be good to, start getting ready for some of those science classes though!

Nursing is an awesome career, I have a lot of friends and family in it, and there is plenty of oppertunities out there and great money! Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth