Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 01:12 AM

6 posts, read 19,185 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiance and I are moving to Fort Worth from San Antonio we are thinking of buying a home and we like older historic areas, I found one in Ryan Place the other in Arlington Heights. I just did the crime stats for those areas from Jan.01 until today and Whoa! major icons everywhere like burglary that really scares me. We used to live near downtown San Antonio in a historical neighborhood and I used a couple addresses there to see if the same icons would come up there also but I was shocked there was not one icon on the map. I tried scanning all of Fort Worth to see what area had the least amount of crime but couldn't find an area without tons of burglary icons. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Ovl

9 posts, read 23,827 times
I don't know but I'm in the same situation. My fiance is being transferred there next month. We are looking for a home and have only found one that hasn't had a burglary in a nearby street! Most others have atleast one a week, sometimes several..maybe have one quiet week. I know someone said they may count burglary as a boyfriend breaking into the girlfriend's parents house etc but there are just way too many for that to count as most of them. I never thought the crime was so bad there. I live in a suburb of new orleans and have never been so scared of crime like this nor experienced any!! I'm hoping our worries will be for nothing but I'm so stressed now

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM

32 posts, read 134,318 times
Default Wishful thinking

Welcome to Ft.Worth, my house just got emptied last Christmas Day. Make sure you have an alarm system, get a big dog and gun.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Where did you live? Every city is going to have its problem areas, no way around it.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
ok--my two cents about this--
the cities in this area have put lot of pressure on the police to pull in more cars for tickets--speeding, expired inspection sticker, anything that will generate funds for the cities to take up the slack from lowered taxes--
this means that more cars are on busier roads--NOT doing drive-bys in neighborhoods--trolling for suspicious cars and the like

the economy is also bad here--I don't care what the news media spouts--people in borderline jobs are getting laid off, getting their hours cut--so their income is down

people have moved to this area WITHOUT a job because they could not make it where they were--
I think lot more people are turning to petty crime to get by--not justifying it--just saying that is my POV--
plus you have the drug related crimes where people are looking to score something to feed their habit...

burglary is one of the most difficult crimes to prevent and to catch--and it takes a lucky break at times...
the young man who was killed when he went home for lunch a couple of weeks ago was supposedly the victim of a burglary gone wrong...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 59,074 times
I have lived in Ryan Place for 8 years and our house was broken into last August. From what I've heard from neighbors and the police, most of the burglaries are from people driving or walking through the neighborhood and looking inside doors and windows of houses during the day (when no one is home) to see flat screen TVs and other electronics. It's certainly an annoyance when you are a victim of something like this, but it doesn't make me want to move out of the neighborhood. You can't hide from crime and I wouldn't want to try. My advice would be to have an alarm system, secure door locks, keep your valuable out of view from outside of the house, and make sure your personal property is insured and documented.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM

150 posts, read 418,529 times
My best advice would be to get here and see where you feel comfortable. You will get a good or bad vibe from the neighborhood you drive around in. Drive through the neighborhood morning, afternoon, and evening....if a neighbor is outside, pull over and ask them about the area. There were a few neighborhoods that I immediately scratched off the list because of the activity we saw in the evening, when we drove through.....and houses I scratched off the list, when we talked to a neighbor who was outside and found out some info about the house's past.

Ovl, the areas I mentioned in your original post have very little to no crime posted on the maps. Unless I'm using it wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth