Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 32,919 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are thinking of relocating to the Keller area from Idaho. I have had several people who have lived in the area warn me against this, because we are Mormon and apparently the North Fort Worth area is "staunchly Baptist," according to them.

I have no problem whatsoever living in an area that is predominately Baptist. But would my neighbors have a problem with ME? I would hate for my children to be excluded because we do not attend the same church. We are Christians with good morals anyhow.

What do you think? Would my children really be ostracized, or are these opinions of ignorant people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 AM

74 posts, read 202,009 times
MadebyMaripan
Hello there! We moved to the Fort Worth area from SLC Utah and have many LDS friends and family members (we are not). Because we are from Utah, many people have assumed we are LDS and offer many suggestions as to where the closest ward would be. I know Keller has an LDS ward and there are people of the LDS faith living all over the metroplex. Maybe you can contact a ward in keller and actually talk to members first-hand on what their experience has been like living here. Keller has many transplants and so I don't think you would be alienated due to religious reasons. Personally, I think it may be tougher in a small, country town that does not have a lot of outside influence. Keller has grown a ton in the last ten years and I would think it would be one of the towns that you would be well received.
My husband's closest colleague at TCU is LDS (also from Utah) and he has had no significant problems living in the Fort Worth area. I would say that yes, there are many Baptists and also Methodists - they are perhaps the predominant religions. It is certainly the "bible belt" here. Through my own conversations with people here, I have learned that Baptists don't regard LDS as "Christians" and so just be prepared for some conversation around this point. My husband's colleague does not hide the fact that he is LDS but he certainly does not wear it on his sleeve. People's faiths are personal and he likely realizes that many outsiders to the LDS religion don't fully understand the doctrine and what they really believe.
Keller has many strong points. I would not rule out moving to Keller based on being LDS. I think most places outside of Utah, Idaho, and some towns in CA, you are going to be met by people that just have not had first-hand experience with LDS people and may have judgements. If I were you, I would talk to some LDS people that live here before giving up on the idea. Come visit. Keller is a neat little town in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
While there are very large numbers of Baptists, I doubt you'd ever feel ostracized.

I've got a good friend who is Baptist and his twin brother is LDS-both grown with grandkids. Their entire family is very close, they just don't discuss religion generally.

My second daughter is very close with a large group of friends whom she met in college, almost all are LDS. She is not an active church goer herself, but is Baptist if only by default. There is no mistreatment of any in the group to others.

Unless you happen upon a very very old school religious zealot, or go looking for confrontations...I doubt you'll have any trouble.
Most people I know are fairly laid back about their religion, but don't shy away from discussing it if the opportunity arises.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 46,429 times
Alot of people in the Fort Worth area are not very friendly to cults.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 PM

74 posts, read 202,009 times
Oh boy . . .
I have heard this cult reference quite a few times before so like I stated previously, do come prepared mentally for some of these reactions. However, don't get discouraged and realize that this area is huge and contains people of all viewpoints. I honestly believed if people really knew LDS people, their opinion would change for the better. Having lived in both the bible belt and in Utah, the outlook most LDS people have on life and the Baptist Christians are very similar. They tend to vote very similarly (stereotypically), uphold the golden rule, and value family above all else. I hope people will be respectful to this person's questions even if your viewpoint may be different.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Alot of people in the Fort Worth area are not very friendly to cults.

that is borderline rude--
and just the type of thing that could be said about any town/state/country...
it is troll-talk...

most people won't care unless you make it a point to highlight any differences between LDS believers and other people...and frankly there are quite a few LDS families in this area anyway--
one of the nicest people I knew when my daughter was in elementary school as someone who was LDS--and she got along fine with everyone involved in PTA, her kids were in soccer and swimming--no problems...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info guys--- it's good to know what we're getting into!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 AM

295 posts, read 949,016 times
I came late but wanted to give you my insight. We (my family and I) are LDS and attend the Heritage ward. You might be going to our ward or perhaps Keller 1st, depends on where you end up living. Anyway, we have not had a single religion-related issue in the area in the past 2 and a half years (as long as we've lived here and in Texas). Most people in Keller have a good socio-economical level and can see people past their religion, race, sexual orientation, etc. We have made great friends in and out of church and are really happy with our decision to move here. That said, this is not Utah! but overall, Texans are very good-hearted and I'm sure you'll like the ward.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 AM

You guys have been very helpful. Thank you!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
There is also one in North Richland hills (off of mid cities i believe)
We live in Keller and and my HS daughter has a good friend who is LDS. Her religion has never been an issue with any of the kids. There have been a few things she hasn't been able to do or go to etc... but its never been an issue.

Like others have said there are sooo many transplants in this area that most really don't care. (I think lawn care stirs up more controversy! buy an edger!!)

good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth