U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 55,468 times

Advertisements

I've read many times where Colleyville & Southlake are more taxed than other suburbs, but after doing some research using the tax estimator at the Tarrant County Assessor's site, I have discovered they are taxed less than Fort Worth, Hurst, and Keller. I removed all the little stuff and just looked at the "city", and the "school district" for the comparison...I used a simple $100,000 value for the home. Obviously there are smaller property tax entities (water, hospital, etc), but I have ignored them as I think most of the cities are exposed to these. Here is what I got:

Keller City + Keller ISD: $1,928 (1.9%)
Hurst City + HEB ISD: $1,830 (1.8%)
Colleyville City + Grapevine/Colleyville ISD: $1,646 (1.6%)
Fort Worth City + Fort Worth ISD: $2,177 (2.1%)
Southlake City + Carrol ISD: $1,877 (1.9%)

Is there something I may be overlooking? I realize $300K won't go as far in the varying cities, but I want to just focus on the %. Am I right that all cities are probably having to pay that "Tarrant County Hospital" entity and the "Tarrant County College" entity?

My wife and I are in our late 20's, are soon to relocate from Dallas... and will be starting a family soon. I'll be working downtown FW, she is an RN at Texas Health and can relocate to any of the hospitals in the area (HEB, downtown FW, SW FW, etc) and we are trying to decide on the burbs or some of the neat neighborhoods within the city (Ridglea, Tanglewood)...definitely don't want to move in 5 years..want to stay put, which makes us think the burbs might be the best. I am dreading the drive to work, but my hours may prevent me from seeing the worst of it. (work 7AM - 6PM).

It seems we may be taxed a little less in the suburbs which may or may not help make up the costs of driving. Anyways..I cherish advice!

Thank you all for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
partly the confusion comes because home values are higher in Colleyville on avg than in Hurst or FTW--so the "avg" tax bill in Colleyville is higher--the difference in rates is magnified because of the total value of the home

buy a 18K car--pay tax based on that price
buy a 58K car--pay more tax because car's value is higher...

if you are planning to start a family--SCHOOLS should be the issue--not tax rate
you want to find a home that you can afford in the best ISD possible and frankly that is not FTW ISD--

while FTW ISD has some elementary schools are get good TAKS ratings--the middle schools are just horrible--and the only high school I would recommend is Paschal...and unless you buy in Paschal zone, it means trying for the lottery--

we live in north Hurst and my husband works in Sundance Sq--takes him about 25 min either way--
took him about 30 when we lived in Bedford...

the problem with the Mid-Cities is that there is relatively few newer homes--most homes are at least 10-15 yrs old--
you don't mention price
that is important but schools are really the top factor when people are looking for a house...

Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks...I'll be working in Sundance Sq too! I agree with what you had to say...we could buy in Tanglewood, which has good elementary and feeds into Pascal, but the middle school is suspect at best...just trying to figure out if it makes sense to go that route (perhaps do private school for 6th,7th, and 8th grade) or go all-in on the burbs.

What are you husbands hours? Do you think I will miss a little bit having to be at work at 7 AM and not leaving until 6 most days? Our price range is up to $400K.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I think you are working over 40 hrs a week at that job

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Well yes...but I was curious if my hours would prevent me from experiencing the worst of the traffic.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 AM

from what I can tell--morning and evening hours will still have traffic but it won't be that bad going OUT of FTW by that time
there is lot of traffic still coming into Bedford at that time of the evening--judging from what I see from parking lot of Spring Creek that faces 183
but 183 is bad for wrecks--if there is one traffic can get tied up for while in both directions from rubbernecking on the opposite side

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 AM

73 posts, read 248,142 times
You are missing something - exemptions. Every ISD has a $15K HS exemption from your appraised value to determine your tax so a $400K house is taxed as (rate X $385K). BUT, some CITIES also have a homestead exemption; this is shown as the "local option" on the TAD site. Grapevine has a whopping 20% which will drop your city taxes (granted, a much smaller total than ISD) quite a bit (rate X 320K). GV has the lowest tax in NE Tarrant because of this. CV has a low rate too, but no city exemption. I think FW is also 20%, but the rate is close to .85%. The simplest way to calculate this is to reduce the rate by the HS percentage - GV is actually .28%.

Another factor is the over 65 and disabled person exemptions. These are usually 10K each for ISDs, but can be much higher for city. Southlake actually gives a $75K discount for each of these.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 AM

73 posts, read 248,142 times
After re-reading your post, I realized I wasn't really on topic at all . You do have to pay Tarrant County, TC hospital, TC College, and Regional water district in all the cities you listed.

Which city? Depends on your preference. Southlake has the best schools and shopping, but might be longest for FW commute, and then there are the Joneses. Colleyville is ideal for a couple working in both Dallas and FW with lots of nice areas and low crime (but Joneses here as well). Keller and northern NRH are even closer to FW, but not as renowned as the first two, which tends to make them a little more laid back. I would live in any (and have except for NRH). The key to an easy Fort Worth commute is finding the right house with quick, easy access to a road like Davis, Norwood, Brown, or Forest Ridge to 183/121.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,981 times
Thornbridge Estates in North Richland Hills- 15-20 min to Sundance, Keller ISD (some Birdville on one side of neighborhood), 15 min to Southlake Town Square, 15 min to DFW, price range $290s to 500k, lots of kids from babies to HS in neigborhood, Elementary school 1 min drive and it's in Colleyville.

Neighborhood is just south of Davis Blvd. and Precinct Line Road.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 PM

the original Thornbridge would be my choice over the new section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth