U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

70 posts, read 216,541 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice from the city data folks.

I am looking really hard at a job in downtown Fort Worth. All of our family (my wife's and mine) live in Rowlett where we grew up. That's near I-30 and 635 on the east side of Dallas. We'd like to live somewhere more convenient to do things with family. For example, I don't see us living in White Settlement or something like that since it's on the complete opposite side of town.

I don't want a horrible commute. Preferred something in the 30-40 minutes max during traffic times (my work times would be somewhat flexible and could be adjusted for traffic reasons). My wife is a teacher so I would suspect that she could likely get a job wherever we live.

The goal would be to buy a house but might rent first. Not sure how we're going to work it since we have a house in Houston now and unsure of how it will all shake out. I'd like to find something with good schools (no kids yet, but probably start trying in 1-2 years). Would like to find a reasonable house in the 200k range.

So what do you think? NRH? HEB? Grapevine? Maybe Flower Mound?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM

32,480 posts, read 50,948,349 times
HEB or NRHills--
Grapevine is probably going to be outside your commute time--especially when construction really gets started on 121/114 and Hwy 26 has lots of lights/school zones and is time consuming

Flower Mound will take longer than Grapevine to downtown FTW

you will probably be going to Rowlett fewer times than you think--certainly not every weekend--
and if you go on weekends only the trip won't be too bad--
635 Loop is usually crowded during the weekend though...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 AM

10,505 posts, read 22,342,764 times
Anywhere in NE Tarrant County will be about 45 minutes' drive to Rowlett. Going through downtown Dallas is MUCH faster than going around 635! George Bush Tollroad is also a good option.

Flower Mound to downtown FW would be a horrible commute, especially with the DFW Connector construction that is starting now and will last for 5 years!

DH and I live in Grapevine and LOVE it here. If you get in the southwest part (south of where 360 comes off 121) you will not be affected by the construction. Look along Hall-Johnson road near Parr park.

NRH is also very nice. The northern parts of Hurst/Euless/Bedford are nice, but don't get south of 183. In Bedford, don't get too close to the apartment complexes that are scattered through the town.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 AM

70 posts, read 216,541 times
Is there much in Grapevine that is $200ish ?

In Houston we have har.com where you can easily search everything that is listed in MLS in Houston and the surrounding areas. Does DFW have anything similar?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 AM

10,505 posts, read 22,342,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloon View Post
Is there much in Grapevine that is $200ish ?

In Houston we have har.com where you can easily search everything that is listed in MLS in Houston and the surrounding areas. Does DFW have anything similar?
Yes! I live in a neighborhood full of them! You will need a good Realtor and you will need to be able to see homes as soon as they come on the market because they are often under contract within a few days!

Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth