U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM

18 posts, read 48,525 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are contemplating a move from Wilmington, DE to the FTW area. Husband is looking at a position at the crossroads of I-35/I-20 on the south side of FTW. I'm a sahm, we have 2 boys, 6 and 2yo.

We currently homeschool for secular reasons and hope to find better options for public schools in TX. Of the school districts encompassing Benbrook - Crowley - Burleson - on over to Mansfield (not sure if I'm missing an ISD in between there?), what would be your pick based on safety and willingness to work with the child? My 6yo is currently finishing out a 3rd grade curriculum, so he's going to need either to skip (which no one seems to want to do bc they might lose their precious standardized testing scores) or get extra-challenging work from his teacher(s). Am I wrong to completely disregard FWISD? I've not run across anything positive about it?

I ran across Harmony Science Academy - anyone have 1st hand info on this place? It sounds either too good to be true or it's happily flying under the radar.

I could continue homeschooling him if it ends up being the best option, but I realize still that school districts greatly impact property value so it would still be something to consider. Our budget is going to be somewhere under $275k (depending on our current home sale) and we want to keep the commute as simple as possible.
TIA!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 17,523 times
This is the best I can tell you about my experience, but I'm sorry to say I know a lot about the metroplex but very little about the South side of Ft. Worth. :/

The best school district here would be HEB ISD (encompasses the cities of Hurst, Euless, and Bedford), or Birdville ISD in Tarrant... HEB ISD is apart of the International Baccalaureate program, and is a more advanced program than regular AP, and in the United Kingdom, the IB Diploma is "regarded as more academically challenging and broader than three or four A-levels." From wikipedia... but my experience with the program forces me to agree. And one class, when entering college, my friend even received "You still have to take the basic level course... the IB class was too advanced."

I know in HEB at least, there was a program at my school where the kids would attend regular classes during the week, and one or two days a week they would go for a couple hours to the advanced classes. Junior High then would be pre-AP classes, and then AP/IB classes in the 9th grade (junior high: grades 7-9). While it would be rare for a 6 year old kid to jump ahead 3 grades, I have to imagine that they'd try to accommodate you somehow, or test him to see where he's at. I'd definitely call around.

A lot of the time it doesn't matter what kind of work a kid is capable of, they may take into consideration ability to communicate, social skills, etc. Putting a 6 year-old with 9 year-olds can also be something they're against because when they're so young the 3 year difference is colossal. When I was 6, 3rd graders were almost the "big kids." 4th graders were definitely "big kids." Bullying is always a concern with a smart kid that's a smaller size.

I'd recommend looking at schools with Gifted/Talented programs, IB programs, and Pre-AP/AP programs. http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/ where you can look at the test scores and more if you'd like, & Tarrant County Public Schools - Texas/TX - Public School Review also seems useful.

2009 Accountability: List by County Type in "Tarrant" and any school, regardless of district really, labeled as Exemplary or Recognized, will be a really good school.

Alright, I hope I've been able to help you some. XD

Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 48,525 times
Konekodesu-
Thank you so much!! Your info and links really do help. We hadn't really considered that area thinking it was too costly. But we can always look for the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood, right?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:27 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,690,416 times
You may want to check out Arlington Classics Academy -- an exemplary charter school that I believe services the part of the world that would be convenient to your husband's job. Sorry, don't know anything about Harmony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth