U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 342,109 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question about the fire ant situation......I know there have been many threads on this topic but I have never seen anything that stated if anyone has problem with fire ants attacking their dogs while they are outside in the yard or not??? I would think that if they step on a mound they would get the same wrath as us humans, but ????????? any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by texan4me; 04-23-2010 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: mispelled word
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM

2,304 posts, read 6,752,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4me View Post
Just a quick question about the fire ant situation......I know there have been many threads on this topic but I have never seen anything that stated if anyone has problem with fire ants attacking their dogs while they are outside in the yard or not??? I would think that if they step on a mound they would get the same wrath as us humans, but ????????? any input would be appreciated.
I have three chow hounds of my own and a very large yard for them. As long as the dogs do not disturb the fire ants then the fire ants don't disturb them. I have brushed a few off the dogs if they were near the mound and the ants got curious so to speak. But no issues of unprovoked attacks, either way.

I do keep the yard as clear as possible and powder mounds when found. During the season I also perform at least one yard sweep daily to try catching them when visible.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM

32,473 posts, read 50,948,349 times
we have fire ants from time to time and have a dog and a cat--they both spend time in back yard--
we have not seen any real signs of fire ant stings except maybe once on our dog

but be aware that fire ants have been known to kill young calves and sheep in pastures that have significant mounds--they get into their noses usually

your pets are more vulnerable on their pads (inside them) and on bellys where there is less hair/fur
and on their noses which usually pokes into the mounds...

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 30,280 times
I have never seen fire ants attack anything, though they will definitely bite you if you step on one of their mounds (as I have learned the hard way, on accident of course). That being said, it's a good idea to keep an eye out for mounds that develop in your yard and take care of them before they become big. Honestly, they're really not that big of a deal...it sounds like you may have read something that blew the issue out of proportion a little.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 PM

32,473 posts, read 50,948,349 times
fire ants aren't as aggressive as bees or wasps--
but dogs will stick their snouts into mounds when they are sniffing the grass...and will lie in the grass and have ants crawl on them sometimes without noticing until they do start to sting
and ants will swarm when a nest has been disturbed...

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,538,539 times
Of course its the same as humans. If the dog lays down on or near a mound there going to get attacked.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,491 times
I once had a dog that got attacked by fire ants. The reason is unknown. But, it was a bad attack. She was unable to hold her head up and shaking pretty violently. We took her to an emergency animal hospital and they had to keep her over night to run an IV and it took her about 3 weeks to completely recuperate. And, of course, she was covered in ant bites. Some of her hair never grew back in the bad spots.
So, to answer your question. Yes, fire ants will bother dogs. Most likely if they are provoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth