U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 AM

139 posts, read 320,682 times

Advertisements

I love it, we go in there and spend 20.00 on what would cost 35.00 at Walmart. 1.25 for milk, .59 cents for eggs, 1.25 for butter blend margarine, shredded parmesan cheese 1.99, that stuff is usually over 4.00 by the way...bought some great Aldi products that were just as good as the "brands" and it's common knowledge that many of their products are manufactured by the big names.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,960,124 times
I finally went in the other day, after seeing they were starting a price war on milk and were selling it for .99. It reminded me of a tiny little store we used to go to on occasion when I was a kid. We owned some land on the Brazos River and going into town for full on groceries meant over an hour travel time. This tiny store met our needs when we had little time, but it cost more.

It gave me the vibe of trying to garner shoppers who shop either daily or several times a week, more like a street market than a grocery store.
Having said that, there were many things there that cost less at Walmart on a daily basis and a lot less on sale at Kroger. Their bag of frozen chicken nuggets was 4.99 and I pay 3.98 at Walmart for the same size is the biggest example I can remember. I just know that I bypassed all the crackers, all but one cereal

I did buy milk at .99 and a couple dozen eggs at .59. I got a loaf of bread for .69 to try. I also picked up a pkg of ground beef as it was the same price as what I usually get it for on sale. Haven't used it yet, so don't know if it's better/same/worse than others.
The only item I got that was a could have been a really good deal was a frozen veal parmigiana dish qty of 6 with the sauce for 2.69. It was okay, not great.

It's not really convenient enough for me to want to make weekly trips just to get a few items like milk, eggs and bread, nor are the savings all that great overall.

There was one gal who had a relatively full basket and her total was still over $100. She was telling the cashier that while she gets some really good deals there, it by no way covers all her needs, so she still shops at Kroger for the rest.

So, now I can say I went and maybe some day I'll go again just for grins. But it certainly won't be in my list of regular trips.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 4,912,203 times
Just now seeing this thread. Love2Read pretty much said it all in regards to the poor lay-out of the store. My sister wanted to go check it out when it first opened. OMG! You couldn't even get in the front door. This is where Aldi had put all these off-brand snacks (crackers, cookies, etc.) and all brands of cereals. It was almost impossible to maneuver though. OK, I'm already starting to feel claustrophobic by now. It doesn't get much better. The aisles are just narrow! I told my sister it was like shopping in a 7-11 with everyone in there pushing a shopping cart! I bought a gallon of milk so it wasn't an entirely wasted trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Walked in...walked out. It was a new version of Jewel T.
I had forgotten about the Jewel T stores. I only went to one of them a couple of times, but you are right. Except I think they were a little more spacious than Aldi's.

I remember Sack-n-Save had the bag your own groceries concept. I never had of these stores in a town where I lived, but I have stopped at the one in Fort Worth and bought items there. They had a long counter especially for bagging your groceries up. I don't even know, are they still in business?

When I lived in Arlington, the closest Wal-Mart was in Mansfield. Arlington came up with a Hyper-Mart which was owned and operated by Wal-Mart and was back then what is now the Super Wal-Mart's. I know they changed the name from hyper-Mart to Wal-Mart. My point in bringing this up is that they charged for the privilege of using their grocery carts. It was a quarter and the set-up was exactly the same as what Aldi is using. LOL Used to people would go in the store and shop and their kids would hang around outside and see if someone would leave a cart in the parking lot. LOL They would be on it like files on honey! It was a win-win for the parents...no kids bugging them in the store and gave the kids a little extra spending money to boot. Of course, there is no way a parent would allow their kids out of their sight to do this now with the way things are today.

Yippee! H-E-B has come to Burleson! Today is their grand opening! I am going to wait a few days and let the traffic slow down around there and then go check it out. I think it is great though! I know Wal-Mart and Albertson's both have remodeled in anticipation of this and have also been running great sales! We are also getting Aldi's here, it might already have opened. I know I'll be shopping at H-E-B and I'm glad Aldi's is going to open here too. Even though I doubt that I ever go to the Aldi's, I feel any competition is a good thing!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM

16,224 posts, read 23,545,991 times
Does ALDI have fresh crab legs?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM

20 posts, read 44,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Does ALDI have fresh crab legs?
No. They do have frozen sea food and some items, like crab legs, are seasonal. I shop at Aldi at least once a week. The only thing I will steer away from is their ground beef. They do have a lot of their Christmas candy and baked goods on clearance.

Their eggs went up from 49 cents to 69 cents. Milk is still 99 cents a gallon. I saw a Borden's truck backed into the one by my house. That must be their source for dairy items.

I like Aldi because they pushed Wally World out of Germany.

What is with the hostility about bringing your own bags? They will sell you bags. Just remember: cash, debit or Lone Star.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM

85 posts, read 159,464 times
Isn't Aldi the same company that owns Trader Joe's? TJ is a store out here that a lot of people out here shop at, but they seem to be exclusively in higher income areas. I don't have the money to be going to specialty shops, but was curious if they would sell the same types of foods at Aldi for less money. That might peak my interest!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM

32,479 posts, read 50,948,349 times
don't believe so--Aldi is owned by German grocery corp and they shared some of the same corporate mindset--but two different parent companies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth