Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM

150 posts, read 417,264 times

Advertisements

Having bad luck with car dealerships in the area! My latest car buying attempt ended with the vehicle being SOLD while I was test driving it for the day, lol...went to the dealership, with preapproval and insurance information in hand only to arrive with them wanting the keys for the new owner!!! Any crazy car dealership story you have to share? Or am I just having a round of bad luck?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM

368 posts, read 1,782,600 times
It just happens.

I worked for a car dealership, a new one, for about three months back in 1990 while taking a semester off off college so I could pay to finish.

Every day, I needed a Silkwood-esque shower to get the slime off me.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,408,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrn&Raised View Post
Having bad luck with car dealerships in the area! My latest car buying attempt ended with the vehicle being SOLD while I was test driving it for the day, lol...went to the dealership, with preapproval and insurance information in hand only to arrive with them wanting the keys for the new owner!!! Any crazy car dealership story you have to share? Or am I just having a round of bad luck?!
don't know what kind of car/truck you're looking for, but i've had great experiences at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine...good people, great service. just tell them you want to see the invoice, they'll run up and get it...show you the price, and bam. deal.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
frankly with all the dealerships having cars on their lots
I am really surprised that the car you happened to be test driving was sold at the same time...

Old 04-30-2010, 03:00 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
It's actually quite common, Driver A looks at the car, maybe test drives it maybe not, then starts the buying process. Since that takes quite some time, the car is still available to be shown to Driver B because the dealer simply isn't going to let the car sit idle when they don't have a done deal. Then while Driver B is pondering it the sale could go through with Driver A and Driver B is out the chance. There's also the possibility that even a Driver C could take it for a spin especially if Driver B passes on it, before the deal goes through with Driver A.

The problem would be with your salesperson. They should have known and told you before hand that there was a potential buyer ahead of you. It's just like looking at houses. You may be shown one that has a contract on it but it is still being shown. If that sale goes through, then you strike it from your list and move to the next one.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 PM

368 posts, read 1,782,600 times
After thinking about this, I had something similar happen when I sold a car in the Colorado high-country.

It was my personal used vehicle, a small 4WD with some very useful and nearly transparent modifications, which was very well-suited to snowy driving/commuting.

We were 30 minutes outside of Denver, in the bona-fide mountains, and I was willing to meet anyone and everyone at a location not horribly far from where we were.

I had several calls, and one day three people said they were coming out that afternoon. I told each of them I'd be at point "X" from 3 PM to 5 PM.

The first person who arrived, bought it, and the second person showed up while the first ones were deciding on it. They were angry, but I explained how I wasn't about to hold it exclusively for someone I don't know on a promise "I'm coming to see it". No, that's not how it works. Merely because you're saying your coming to look doesn't mean you have exclusive rights to it.

FWIW, the third folks never showed or called back.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
don't know what kind of car/truck you're looking for, but i've had great experiences at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine...good people, great service. just tell them you want to see the invoice, they'll run up and get it...show you the price, and bam. deal.
Thanks for the recommendation, we will look at their inventory! We are looking for a Tahoe/Yukon, so that'd probably be a good place to look!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly with all the dealerships having cars on their lots
I am really surprised that the car you happened to be test driving was sold at the same time...

We were very surprised too! The person who purchased the vehicle test drove it a few days prior, but didn't qualify for financing....I had the vehicle for the day and apparently right before we came back to the dealership to do the paperwork, he walked in with a down payment and they did the paperwork. No phone call of warning or anything. I was actually on the phone with the bank, finalizing the financing as we drove into the parking lot. Had the car all day..Talk about a surprise, lol

Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
My husband has bought his last three SUVs from Classic in Grapevine --driving an 08 Tahoe now--
and when his sister from Victoria wanted to buy a new car about 18 mo ago she came here and he took her around to different dealerships--to test drive some different makes..
she liked the Malibu and bought one at Classic--

he gets his maintenance done there == usually goes in early in the AM and has the oil changed while he waits--
he does his research and gets idea for what he thinks is fair price for his trade in and for the new one--he is not looking to make the dealer lose money--so he is not as hard a trader as some people are--but he gets what he thinks is fair deal...
I think he will probably buy his next car there
Classic is one of the largest Chevy/GM dealers in the US--they get hugh volume concessions --at least they used to...so "invoice" is usually more than you need to pay for them to make a profit

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,408,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrn&Raised View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, we will look at their inventory! We are looking for a Tahoe/Yukon, so that'd probably be a good place to look!
lol...if that's what you're looking for then, definitely visit...

Classic Chevrolet has one of the largest, if not THE largest inventory of chevy trucks in the nation...which is also why people can get the lowest price with little negotiation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth