U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM

39 posts, read 81,360 times

Advertisements

Curious about this, and it may come in handy since I'm moving back to the area soon...

My folks used to go to Weatherford from Fort Worth by going 'round the Weatherford Traffic Circle and heading out on this highway that went right to Weatherford. Anybody know which highway? I don't remember and all I found on Mapquest is Spur something...is that it? I do remember it turned right off the Traffic Circle. Maybe it is that Spur one? Does that go to Weatherford?

That's the only way we ever went to get there. Sometimes we'd come down Camp Bowie and sometimes we'd come that way from towards Benbrook sort of. Basically I do remember there was a nice Dairy Queen out that way!

Just curious if I'm correct and which highway that was, etc. You'd get on the highway and there was a billboard that said You Can Afford A Ford in Weatherford....

Any info appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 AM

32,546 posts, read 51,084,504 times
best traffic circle I can think of for that situation would be in west FTW by the Edelweiss Restraurant where 377 and 183 meet--that would be Southwest Blvd and Benbrook Blvd--
Camp Bowie/580 which is just north of the traffic circle from there going west merges into I-20 heading to Weatherford

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 AM

165 posts, read 357,806 times
I looked at an early 1950's Texas travel guide I have and U.S. Hwy 80/180 ran east to west and U.S. Hwy. 181 ran north to south from Weatherford. (this was well before the Interstate system) Parts of old Hwy. 80 still go east from Weatherford for a while and this is probably what you were referring to. As the previous poster noted, I-20 replaced the old Hwy. 80/180. Hope this is helpful.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,971,168 times
Most likely it was I-20 that you ended up on if you went through a traffic circle in FW. Like l2r says, the one by Edelweiss is really the only one in the area, so it would have been 377 through the circle to I-20 which merges with I-30 and then splits off onto Hwy 180 to Weatherford. You couldn't get directly on 180 without going to I-20 first and you'd miss the circle if you stayed on Camp Bowie.

We used to go through that traffic circle if we headed straight down 377 going to the Granbury area. Most times we just went around 820 and caught up with 377 at Benbrook instead. I'd actually forgotten about that circle...brings back memories of the first time I had to drive it myself, worrying about being in the right lane and not going round and round and round. haha

We came from the NE section of Tarrant county so we always took I-30 merging with I-20 then split to 180 to Weatherford, then on to Mineral Wells, which was often our destination.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM

This was back in the late 1970's. I looked on an old map we have from 1976 and it was 377 that went into it, but I remember being on Camp Bowie and going around the traffic circle and ending up in Weatherford...somehow...

On our map it calls it the Weatherford Traffic Circle...

I found what I think it is on Mapquest, but I couldn't get the exact location to paste on here...It is Benbrook Highway, Camp Bowie is on there and then it goes around the circle into Alta Mere....I think that's it, but I seem to remember more streets going off of it than that.

I was a really little kid then, so I actually don't remember much about it, other than I always liked it when we drove around that circle.

Likely was I 20 cuz I don't remember Spur anything...

Thanks!

Last edited by QHossRider; 05-04-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Okay, I looked at the old map again. It was 80/180 that we went on. Had to have been, that's the only thing like it I see on the map.

It's what is not on Map Quest.

So 80/180 is not there anymore? It's 20? This is very confusing...

But that's why I think I thought it must've been Spur 580, because that was the closest thing I saw to where we usually went. Where does that Spur road end up?

Ha! Just found it. It goes into 20 and that's what goes into Weatherford. That's the way we went!

Last edited by QHossRider; 05-04-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,971,168 times
Before 820 and I-20 were fully built out many other main routes were known by various names. For instance 377 was always called Denton Hwy by natives and was often the main route taken to go anywhere heading south from most areas.

Heading west, it would have been 80/180 known as Weatherford Hwy, which currently runs in tandem with the interstates now. That's probably why it's been confusing. Same road, different labels and different routes to get on them.

So my guess then, would be that you guys tracked north after leaving the circle, which if you came from south of the circle or just east of it might make sense, otherwise it would be backtracking. That part of Camp Bowie is also Spur 580, though I had to research it to find that out. I don't recall it ever being called Spur anything. Spur 580 would have been part of the 80/180 route as well, again the same road, just one of the various names. If you were coming from nearby that circle it might be a viable route even today, but not if you are outside that area.

I-30 was always close to us, so it was the best route for us to take.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM

I think that's what threw me off kinda. When I finally found it on Mapquest it said Spur 580 and I thought it was some different road. I never heard of it being called Spur anything. Our house was in Westcliff and my dad just always went that way.

I thought it was called Weatherford Highway--which makes sense, but thought maybe that's just what my dad called it. I had never heard of any other names it had.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,494 times
Default Weatherford traffic circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by QHossRider View Post
I think that's what threw me off kinda. When I finally found it on Mapquest it said Spur 580 and I thought it was some different road. I never heard of it being called Spur anything. Our house was in Westcliff and my dad just always went that way.

I thought it was called Weatherford Highway--which makes sense, but thought maybe that's just what my dad called it. I had never heard of any other names it had.

Thanks!
The original Weatherford traffic circle was at the intersection just north of the existing traffic circle. It had several retail spaces around it including a drive in restaraunt (possibly the Clover Drive in), a BBQ one and Holiday Inn.

This was on the old Weatherford Hwy (80/180) and Alta Mere. It was torn out and just a normal intersection replaced it.

The Highway department was in love with circles and cloverleafs at that time and they built the new circle south of the original on the
Benbrook Hwy (377). Locals kept the term Weatherford traffic circle, even though it no longer is on the old Weatherford Hwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth