Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times

Advertisements

Have been reading posts on TX forum for only a few months--but I am struck by how many people (when they are asking for information because they want to relocated to TX) are doing so because they WANT to vs. HAVE to....

We have only moved when DH has been relocated for work...so I guess I am a little out of the loop---and it has been like 23 years since my last move but

1) are so many of these people working from home so they take their income/job with them when they move and that is why they seem pretty unworried about employment?

2) are they confident that their industry is so worker-starved that they will find a job here paying what they need to live on that they aren't really worried? Is the job market so hot they don't have to have a job before they come--
think there are only a few areas that are really that desparate for people(especially mid-salary people and above) because most of the people I know who live/work in DFW area don't feel that sanguine about changing jobs w/o time and effort to put in and contacts to speed the process...which out-of-town people usually don't have...

3) are they independently wealthy, so having a job is not something to worry about anyway?

4) Are most of these people not really moving but just kind of wishing out loud by posting about possibilities?

I guess I just don't get the thinking behind people--especially people w/kids--who seemingly consider moving w/o having a safety net of good employment under them...Am I missing something in the equation/postings???

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 250,988 times
Well, we originally started looking at the Ft. Worth area a few years back when my husband was looking for a new job. They weren't hiring at that time though. We accepted another job in a place that we have been fairly happy with but not near family and the house we can afford is smaller than we would like it to be. We have kept watching for a job that my husband would be qualified for and it finally came up- after a few years of waiting! We are interested in the area because not only will my husband have great opportunities to advance his career, houses are slightly more affordable, and it will be somewhat closer to family. It is still a leap of faith that this will be a good move for us, but I think it will be worth it!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times
ok--but you waited until the right job came up--you did not just pick up and move...that's my point--what about the people that seem NOT to wait for a job...

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,879,982 times
I accepted a job transfer from my company and then moved. In fact, I moved here before I even checked it out! I had a phone interview, got the job offer letter, made relocation arrangements, bought a 1-way plane ticket, and then set foot on Fort Worth for the first time in my life ... a mere 2 days before my first day on the (new) job!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,406,846 times
Well, I think that certainly technology has helped with people feel that they can work anywhere. My dh is home based and I was as well when I worked.

I also think it has to do with age and priorities. My father, when he was alive, had worked for his company for 35 years. Really starting in the 1990's, you really couldn't count on "working hard and towing the line" as keeping the same employment for years unless you are in an employment shielded job (tenured educator, military, unioned employee).

I have personally been on the roller coaster of life, owning my own business, having employees, and it could be that people are just re-evaluating what is important in their lives.

In CA, if you aren't making a combined income of 120K, forget having more than just the basic necessities in life (and that is with taking on very little debt). Anyway that is just my opinion and from my experiences which isnt everyone's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth