U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 35,399 times

Advertisements

I will be attending TCU in the fall, and my wife and I have been on the hunt for a rental home within walking/biking distance. We are not finding much available with our particular desires (fenced yard, central ac, distance from campus, etc.) in our price range and wondering if we're looking too late or we need to reconsider our price range (<$1000/mth)?

Do owners typically list their rental homes online or via yard sign?

We hope that we are attractive renters, being married 5 years and not your typical "TCU student". To those of you familiar with this area, should we remain hopeful more properties in this area will open up in the next 30-60 days or start considering an apartment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM

150 posts, read 638,730 times
I suggest driving around the area if you are able ... I live in the area and I'm always seeing "for rent" signs in front of houses. Of course I don't know the price or what they look like inside, but many seem to have fenced yards. On University, adjacent to University Christian Church, I think I've seen three or four for rent signs. Also suggest you look in the area kind of behind/diagnonal behind Fuzzy's Tacos. "Bluebonnet Hills?" Both areas would be an easy bike ride/walk. If you are not worried about school district zoning for kids, seems to me that you would be able to find a decent rental. Don't waste time driving around in Tanglewood and surrounding areas - you won't find a house for rent for $1,000.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM

32,494 posts, read 50,965,633 times
check Craig's List as well
FTW homes in that area are listed there sometimes

Old 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM

1,053 posts, read 1,409,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *NRHStudent* View Post
I will be attending TCU in the fall, and my wife and I have been on the hunt for a rental home within walking/biking distance. We are not finding much available with our particular desires (fenced yard, central ac, distance from campus, etc.) in our price range and wondering if we're looking too late or we need to reconsider our price range (<$1000/mth)?

Do owners typically list their rental homes online or via yard sign?

We hope that we are attractive renters, being married 5 years and not your typical "TCU student". To those of you familiar with this area, should we remain hopeful more properties in this area will open up in the next 30-60 days or start considering an apartment?
The rental scene in FW is strange. I would second the vote for the bluebonnet area. You might also try for the area just north of campus, though it might be out of your price range. Other parts to consider: near Foster Park, Ryan Place, Fairmount--but all three are further away. I don't think you're late; if anything, you're early. I found that very little is listed online (craig's list for DFW is really poor for rentals); your best bet is to patrol the area on foot/bike. Also, once you get into the TCU email system you'll begin to receive announcements that will include rentals.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:39 AM

49 posts, read 112,286 times
Not gonna find much more than a beat up old house near campus for <1,000.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,371,260 times
Horned Frog is right. The area around TCU is more gentrified than it was 10-15 years ago and therefore more expensive. Imo, I believe that it has pushed out students from renting houses. When I was attending TCU, there used to be a ton of homes for rent to students but it doesn't look that way to anymore. It used to be crappy run down homes one after the other occupied by 4 students next to a family living next door in a nice house and so forth but now it is the opposite.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 16,077 times
Oh believe me there are still crappy run down houses next to families in nice houses in the TCU area. Now that the school has provided more on campus housing and requires freshmen and sophmores to live on campus it may have gotten a little better but it's still an issue for familes here. As a resident of the Bluebonnet Hills area I would love to have you and your wife as a neighbor as "nontypical TCU" student renters but the houses full of unrelated student renters are a major bummer for those of us who own and live here. the lack of rentals may be because what often happens is parents will buy a house for their kids while they attend school and fill it with roomates to pay the morgage. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth