U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 AM

116 posts, read 382,827 times

Advertisements

5stones: we need the airport as well. We are thinking that it would be 30 min drive during off hours from Southlake to the Galleria area. Is that reasonable?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 AM

4,187 posts, read 14,038,251 times
Where in Europe are you moving from?

Southlake to the Galleria in off hours would be doable in 30 minutes yes.

Also, what ages are your kids and is a foreign language important to you? There is the Dallas International School that is very good.

The rental market is very hot right now in the best parts of the metroplex. what are your search parameters? Typically homes come on the market about 30 days before they are available since that's usually the requirement for the tenants to give notice. So depending when you will be moving, the inventory will vary.

Naima

Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 AM

32,508 posts, read 50,991,014 times
Julia1997 has been on this board since March I think or before asking questions about Southlake and the other areas...

we are repeating some info that she already has gotten--and trying to reassure her about problems that we have already covered I think...

her prior posts about moving to other parts of the US are very similar--apparently she has had the same worries before about other areas...
moving must not come easy for her...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM

119 posts, read 197,367 times
Julia,

Here's some fun stuff to do in Texas that you're not likely to see anywhere else:

The Texas Wine Trail (Google it)
Weekend trip to Austin (Barton Springs is a great destination in the heat of summer)
Pick a country road and just drive and see what you find
Fort Worth museums
Dallas Museum of Art
Go to Railhead BBQ and discover the goodness of BBQ
Find a ghost or cemetery tour (great way to learn local lore and history)
There's a festival somewhere within driving distance just about every weekend, find one and have fun
Fort Worth Stockyards
Fort Worth Botanic Gardens
Lone Star Park (horse racing)
Any area lake
Farmer's Markets (you have to be selective, there are some fake farmer's markets out there that just sell wholesale produce - the person at the booth should be the farmer that actually grew the produce, made the product, etc.)
Dallas Arboretum
Go horseback riding
Go to either the Dallas or Fort Worth symphony (Meyerson and Bass Hall respectively)
The State Fair (it's in Dallas)
The Fort Worth Zoo

Just about any place I can think of has some negative stereotypes, including Texas. You can choose to keep the negative in mind, or you can choose to view Texas the way we all do - as a quirky, wonderful, welcoming place with great people. It's your perspective, you can change it. Keep an open mind and enjoy your couple of years here!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Luneblock, thanks for all the information. You are right. I should not be negative. I will try my best.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Nsummer, thanks. The monthly budget is around $5,000 per month. I am from central Europe:-) Our kids are in lower elementary. We speak another language but not French. The Dallas International school seems great.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM

32 posts, read 122,952 times
Default 5000!

Good grief that is a lot of money, even in Europe!

However Southlake, I have to say is nothing than a boring suburb, do not expect a neighborhood like in Europe. Just a bunch of houses, you will need a car for everything you do.

Ft.Worth is a nice lively town, better than Dallas. There a lot of lakes. Skiing can be done in New Mexico, hop in a plane. I mean even in california it takes hours to drive to Taos.

Traffic is bad, especially from Southlake to Dallas, if you work there find a closer place, with a budget of 5000 it should not be a problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM

295 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
her prior posts about moving to other parts of the US are very similar--apparently she has had the same worries before about other areas...
moving must not come easy for her...
I have been to Europe multiple times and have European friends and obviously moving for them would not come easy. Most of Europe is gorgeous and has heritage and interesting places to go everywhere. I would also think most of the US would be boring to a European unless you go to the places she's already been! Texas WILL seem like the old west to her! I personally like Southlake. Yeah, it's new and it doesn't have the maturity of other neighborhoods but it has a GREAT school system, it's clean and easy to get around. SUPER close to the airport and the townsquare has tons of great stores and restaurants. What's not to like?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 PM

32 posts, read 122,952 times
Southlake is not really a town, especially if you try to compare it to Europe. Just another boring suburb in the DFW metroplex, all artificial, you need a car for every move. Nothing to do and long drives to Dallas or Ft. Worth.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 AM

32,508 posts, read 50,991,014 times
this person has lived in the US for several years--is moving from California if I remember correctly--she is not unfamiliar with living in America at all--and if she has lived in California for several years she is certainly familiar with most of the problems she would have in DFW area--including car culture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth