U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 14,291 times

Advertisements

I have discovered that there is public transportation for Fort Worth and that there is public transportation for Dallas and that there is a train between the two cities but I have been unsuccessful in finding a trip planner that routes a plan for you similar to map quest or google maps, via the area public transit's. I had difficulty determining if there is a monthly pass that is good on all three. Any suggestions, information would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM

32,484 posts, read 50,954,572 times
did you try googling for public transportation Dallas or Public transportation fort worth???
DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

The T | Fort Worth Transportation Authority | Fort Worth, TX - Home

Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM

369 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Re: Texas public transpo

Don't get your hopes up too high. You can get to nearly anywhere, but you've gotta be clever about routing and it can take some time.

You don't say from where you moved, but if it was a city 'back east', I'd start shopping craigslist for a $1K car. Okay, sub-$3K. You'd be surprised what you can get for a steal, if you're patient and know what to look for.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM

32 posts, read 122,839 times
Default Public Transportation sucks

It is a shame, absolutly rotten system. Buy a car!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 PM

36 posts, read 86,952 times
It all depends on where you need to go; some areas are better served than others. The links upthread should give you information about public transit. Depending on your situation, you may consider cycling. I ride my bike to work several times a week. It was most days when my commute was 7 miles, then my office moved and I need to ride 17 miles each way. Still, it's do-able and I'm getting used to it. If you are trying to get around the city core within, say a 5 or 7 mile radius, you might find that cycling is very feasible.

When I was riding 7 miles I didn't have shower access at work, and for a few years I made do with a "birdbath" in the men's room using baby powder, baby wipes, etc. No one ever complained, so there you go.

If you have any interest in learning more about cycling in Fort Worth, let me know; it's really a hidden gem of the cycling world, and definitely on the upswing in that respect.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 8,513,227 times
Hey doohickie, I didn't realize that FW was a good city for transportation oriented cycling. I live in a cycling paradise in Orange County, CA where there are wide bike lanes heading in all directions along most major streets. I've had it pretty good as a daily bike commuter for the past decade. I've been to FW and walked around a bit in the center city area - very nice place IMO. FW doesn't show up on those lists of famous bicycle friendly cities like Portland OR, Minneapolis, Tucson, Madison, etc, so you are right about it being a hidden gem. Few if any places in TX show up on those lists. Anything you can add on cycling for transportation around FW? Good groups or links? thanks.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM

36 posts, read 86,952 times
I have two blogs that can give you a feel for the place. One of them is just my blog (Doohickie), and it has a lot of stuff about Fort Worth in general in it. The other is specifically about bicycle commuting (http://beginningcyclecommute.blogspot.com (broken link)); I meant for it to be more instructional, but it's turned out to be more of a journal. From my Doohickie blog there are several links about Fort Worth that may interest you, including some bicycle shop blogs and stuff like that. My 17 mile commute has probably 15 or 16 miles of travel either through empty neighborhood streets or along the Trinity Trail.

If you go to Google Maps Bike option for Fort Worth (fort worth - Google Maps) you can see several bike routes and the Trinity River Trail highlighted in green.

To anyone who wants to try transportation cycling in FW, if you want to give me some approximate locations (intersections), I can tell you decent routes to bike from Point A to Point B. Fort Worth doesn't have too much bike infrastructure, but there are several bike-able neighborhoods where you can get where you want to go without riding on the busiest streets.

One recent development is the opening of Trinity Bicycles last month. The owner used to have an interest in another shop but sold it to move to Austin as an aid for a state legislator. After a year in Austin he moved back here and is doing all kinds of urban group rides. In fact, today they rode from the shop just south of downtown to the south side of Lake Benbrook and are camping out overnight with a group, and will ride back tomorrow. Their last ride was a ride to an upscale grocery store on one of the busier streets in town (Hulen) from the shop. They did kind of like I said- they rode mostly through residential neighborhoods and avoided the busy streets. They are trying to show by example how to transportation cycle in Fort Worth. In fact, the shops that seem to be doing the best right now are the ones that cater to the urban cycling/commuting crowd, as opposed to the road bike racers.

Last edited by Doohickie; 05-30-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth