U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,069 times

Advertisements

A little background... I'm a 27 year old, single male living in North Dallas/Plano. I've lived here for around 4 years and enjoy the area but I recently got a job in south Ft Worth and the commute from my place now is KILLING ME!!

My apartment lease expires in a few months and I'm looking to move closer to Ft Worth to lessen my commute. I'd like to stay somewhere in between Dallas and Ft Worth because all of my friends live in the North Dallas area and I'd like to stay somewhat close to them, while still minimizing my commute.

My problem is I've spent the vast majority of my time in the Dallas area and I don't know anything about the areas around Ft Worth. I'm looking at renting an apartment/townhome/condo and have no idea what cities/areas to look in.

Any tips you can give me on great areas for someone in my situation would be very helpful. Also, if you know of any good apartment complexes to look at, that would be great as well!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 AM

369 posts, read 1,665,102 times
Arlington is the first place I'd consider.

Sorry, I'm not an apartment person, or I'd help you there, too.

I'd look in the I-20/Cooper area (FM 157). Some decent places around there, if you look. Makes S. Fort Worth a breeze of a commute.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,333,663 times
My choice would be the Mid-Cities. My parents used to live in Euless off 183 (76040 zip) and my drive time to visit them from here in Richardson via the George Bush (190)/161 wasn't too bad at all. In rush, not so great but Euless or Bedford would seem a good compromise. Paying tolls always sucks but traffic moves pretty well and I'd assume you'd be visiting friends more on weekends and after hours. I could do the trip in 25 mins outside of rush.

When my father did the Euless to Ft. Worth commute (the airforce base W of downtown) he reported the commute pretty tolerable.

The I-20 and Cooper area suggested would be ideal for getting to your job, but I can vouch it takes forever getting into No Dallas from that location. Used to drive it frequently and even experimenting with different routes it was a study in frustration for *me*. Arlington is so very large--Google is your friend when it comes to looking up a commute. When I lived there, I found the local traffic really heavy and dreaded just driving from one end to the other.

The Las Colinas area around O'Connor and 114, in Irving (75039) is an apartment mecca and full of professional singles...but it would favor the commute to No Dallas, not Ft Worth. But depending on where you are now in Plano, it would shave your drive time by a good 15+ minutes.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM

32,521 posts, read 51,002,355 times
I think the Bush has been extended into part of Arlington area--so using that might be helpful in getting into where your friends are

the area around the Parks Mall in S Arlington has many restaurants and strip malls in addition to The Parks--
I assume there are plenty of apartments around there as well

I would just say to check a crime map when you look for new places
some of these areas have pretty high incidents for car breakins, burglaries, petty crime

and you also should try to find out about any Section 8 rentals in the immediate area...

another area you might consider is Grapevine--you can get on the north part of 360 and head down to I-20--
360 can be crowded but it is a straight shot into south Arlington
Grapevine has nice historic downtown with shops/bars/restaurants and is close to the Lake itself--couple of nice golf courses in the area--other activities like movies, climbing gym, Main Event, has mix of apartments and some townhomes--is also close to Southlake--
--pretty easy to get on 635 or the Bush from there

Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM

369 posts, read 1,665,102 times
Personally, I'd avoid using 360 like it has the Plague.

That road was undersized 25 years ago...it hasn't been made any wider and the disaster which is I-30 & 360 interchange dates to the Dallas-Fort Worth turnpike days.

If you look up NE of Fort Worth, consider how long it takes to get to 183/121/to downtown/to I35W.

You said south Fort Worth, but that's a pretty large area. 820 and 20 is markedly different from 35W s of 20, when talking commute traffic.

I did the drive from The Parks mall area to Las Colinas, and while not short, it wasn't unpleasant most days.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM

20 posts, read 58,090 times
Hurst, Euless, or Bedford. They seem to have the easiest access to and from Dallas and Fort Worth, lots of great apartments, Bear Creek area has some nicer apartments in Euless, and Bedford kind of has apartments scattered, my husband and I live in apartments in Bedford, we have lived there for 3 years and our neighbors have all lived in the same apartment for at least 3 years also. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 AM

4,187 posts, read 14,040,191 times
I would suggest Arlington as well. The mid cities would alleviate some of the traffic you are encountering today but to south FW would still be torture.

Look at something along I30 in Arlington. It would put you close to 161 where you can commute to North Dallas/Plano a lot easier and the drive to downtown Dallas would be very easy too.

Naima

Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,069 times
Default Thanks!!

Thank you all for your input so far! Right now I'm leaning towards the Bedford area. My job isn't as far south as 20 so it's pretty easy for me to get there by just hopping on 183.

Thank you again and if anyone has any more input on good (safe, quality) apartments/townhomes/condos in the Bedford or midcities area it would be much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:06 PM

200 posts, read 420,863 times
While I sympathize with you not wanting to give up friends, why don't you give Fort Worth a try and see if you can expand your network. If I were you, about the last place on the planet I'd want to live is someplace between Dallas and Fort Worth. That's exactly what it is - just someplace. Why not try living in Fort Worth's great downtown (lots of reasonably priced lofts and apartments), funky near Southside called Fairmount, TCU area (lots of great rentals and purchases in a terrific neighborhood), near West Side along West 7th (lots of new hipster retail, apartments, bars, and restaurants). Your friends in North Dallas will want to visit you.

If you are 27, and you move to Grapevine, Arlington, or any of the places recommended on this thread, you might as well stock up with Dockers and Hush Puppies, coupons to Arby's and Outback Steakhouse, a used Pontiac, and start drinking heavily EVERY NIGHT! (Plus, my guess is your friends won't be so up for a road trip to... BEDFORD!) RECONSIDER your strategy. You're missing a great opportunity if you live in the great D/FW megalopolis and settle for... someplace in between!

Last edited by rogramjet; 05-16-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM

10,520 posts, read 22,374,455 times
I also recommend trying downtown Fort Worth. There are SO many nice places there and it really is a lot of fun! Maybe you can even convince your North Dallas friends to come on over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth