U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM

40 posts, read 270,550 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm about to be a first-time homeowner (with all the joy and headache that entails..hehe!). We're purchasing an 1,800 sq. ft. single-story brick home in Bedford, TX.

I'd like to just get a general ballpark figure of how much other homeowners in Bedford pay for electric and water each month. The home has standard windows (not energy efficient - yet) and a vaulted ceiling in living room, if that helps with an estimate.

Thanks!
Janna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

33,526 posts, read 53,386,311 times
probably varies depending on insulation/orientation to sun/trees and shade/number in household/appliances--whether or not there is gas or electric water heater and gas/electric stove...

did you ask for past utility bills?
if you contact TXU which is the main electric provider for Bedford area, you might get past bills for that address -- but those are tied to sellers' factors--
call the city and see if you can get past water bills as well...
I was able to get the past Arkla bills for our Hurst address from Arkla

Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 PM

40 posts, read 270,550 times
Great suggestion, I never thought of asking for past bills. The house has been foreclosed and on the market for almost a year, so we have no contact with the former owner. I will check and see if the city still has records.

Thanks again!
Janna

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM

269 posts, read 517,659 times
Use an average of around $10/sq ft - so you're looking at around $180/month on electricity. (of course, the type of insulation etc also matters)

Asking for previous bills might not help because electricity is deregulated in Texas, therefore the previous owners might have been using other electricity providers other than TXU, plus client confidentiality!.

Water and Sewage you can get from the local council.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM

368 posts, read 1,699,337 times
The electricity middleman, the person you write the check to, makes a huge difference.

Our SW Fort Worth electric is 6.6¢ per kwh, which I'm not certain I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth