U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM

121 posts, read 378,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you won't go wrong regardless of what district you choose. Some are suggesting others as well, that is probably good for some, but can get even more confusing. Being both districts are good and your daughter is outgoing look at the homes and what you will get for your buck. I lean slightly toward Flower Mound, but this is a very personal thing. Both of our granddaughters graduated from Marcus high school.

Good luck and tell your daughter she will have a blast making new friends and enjoying her new life.

Nita
Marcus is huge over 3000 students. We were very concerned about such a big school and our daughter getting lost in the shuffle. But that is up to the poster. I just saw the numbers and it terrified me coming from a school of 1800. This is my baby girl.... But, like you said most teens do fine and end up finding a niche. OR they rebel and end up hating you forever and holding it against you. LOL. Ok, I am such a MOM!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM

200 posts, read 420,799 times
If your options are Keller, Southlake, or Flower Pot - stay in Iowa...

Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 AM

3,029 posts, read 11,018,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
so not helpful.

If you have something to offer that is insightful or helpful state it, otherwise please don't post.

Until the OP posts again with where the job is located at it is really difficult to give suggestions on areas.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM

32,508 posts, read 50,991,014 times
true--and that poster seems to really have an ax to grind...

Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,009 times
Thank you all for responding to my post everyone has given some great advice and you all are so helpful. I am grateful I found this forum......

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 16,009 times
adixyz,

Where did you end up sending your son & how did he do?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,319,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
why would you say such a thing? I like small towns, I love the midwest, but the burbs around Dallas have a lot to offer.

Nita

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

473 posts, read 1,068,583 times
We chose Flower Mound HS due to number of criteria which might vary for you.
My son was an outstanding student in Kansas and we focused more on academics so we were looking for a good gifted program, AP courses, clubs..etc in addition to a good orchestra program. He is doing pretty good here and was part of the Team in the UIL competition this year where FMHS was 4th in state among all 5A schools in Texas (Top 3 schools were from Houston). FMHS have also been consistently doing very good in the No. of National Merit scholars every year. In 2010 they had 27 (much more than the combined HS in Lewisville and more than Coppell, Carroll or Plano East).

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...finalists.html

I consider number of National Merit scholars as a major criteria for evaluating Academics and comparison. Its also gives a good base for preparing for PSAT/ SAT/ ACT for College admissions. Again some schools don't have teachers/ students who are interested in UIL or the number of National Merit scholars might increase/ decrease in a particular year so you look for consistencies, meet the teachers and judge the overall school atmosphere from the criteria you are looking for. FMHS is also the largest exemplary school in Texas and getting a exemplary rating for a large HS is not easy.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 11,607 times
Default Keller Freecycle

If you live in Keller or nearby, I recommend joining the online Keller Freecycle group. It's a great way to recycle usable items in your community at no cost.

Moderator cut: too new to make specific link recs - read the TOS!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-04-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 AM

1,169 posts, read 865,817 times
All are great places... but even with the great schools there can be challenges for some students. Seems like the schools are pretty large...some 2-3-4000 students.
Coppell has a new school called New Tech High....only a few hundred students.
There are also great charter schools like Universal Academy and North Hills in Irving.
SL and Coppell can create a lot of pressure for some students. If you are not the top performing students I think there can be pressure and disappointment for some. At the top ranks many are jockeying for position. The top 10% is also pressure to get in UT schools. Some kids rise to the challenge...some don't.
We also have schools around like Booker T. Washington School for Performing Arts that takes students from other districts.
Some of the big schools have lots of opportunities.... 4 year classes like Rocketry..neat for kids interested in science. TV production... tons of AP classes, co-classs with some of the colleges etc.
So benefits to small and large schools. Another alternative might be Northwest school district...near Trophy Club and Justin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth