U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 16,031 times

Advertisements

Help, planning to move to Keller or Flower Mound I have a daughter going to be a Junior this next year 2010-2011. We are moving from a VERY small town in Iowa (approx 65 students in her graduating class) not sure what school district to move into. We know this will be a huge difference, she is outgoing but nervous. She loves band,dance,chearleading, & is interested in taking french, & drama, and is not into the "cliche" scene. We are looking at houses in the 250,000 to 350,000 area. She has not been exposed to a huge amount of culutral areas on a daily basis. We are by no means biasis, only being honest and do not want her to be over-whelmed by not only the move but cultural differances. What High School would you recommend for her? Any suggestions will help & be appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
one thing I will say about the "cheer" aspect of your post...
this is VERY competitive at almost any school in this area--
many of these squads have been together since they were in elementary school...when students come into a jr high or high school and compete for spots on the squad it can get pretty bloody...

Southlake Carroll ISD--not in your plans--presented a very virulent example of how nasty cheering could become several years ago...in that case the parents were large part of the problem...

tryouts happen and results are chosen in different ways--
there are supposed to be written rules that are followed as to how girls are judged and who gets to vote...

some of these teams have won National and the girls can be ranked gymnasts as well as cheerleaders...
I would just say I hope your daughter does not have her heart set on winning a spot on her school's team--coming in as a junior especially and not knowing anyone is pretty much a handicap that can't be overcome--even if she is terrific at performing...

being part of the pep squad (performing dance routines at games/events) might be something more likely to work--
band is usually based on sheer skill--competition for first/second/third chair, etc...and marching skills--and their marching routines can be pretty sophisitcated--
you can probably see some of them if you Google Keller high school band or one of the other marching bands--YouTube has lots of posts because the kids put them up...

regarding where to move--those two areas are very separated physically--where the commute would be was not mentioned...
if you are working in FTW then Keller is probably the better choice
if you are working in Dallas, then Flower Mound would be my choice

Lewisville (Flower Mound) has some excellent schools--it is a larger district than Keller--
we don't get much news about it in our local paper--I know that Keller is having budget problems and might need to layoff teachers next year--they are going to extend their class sized this year and try NOT to hire as many teachers as they have vacancies...
I have not read about Flower Mound/Lewisville being in financial straits but that does not mean it is home free--
you just might Google for Lewisville ISD budget concerns and see what comes up...
Think all the high schools are 5A--largest student pop in state levels--probably 1700-2100 students or there abouts--
but remember that any school that size is really a collection of schools within schools---you have all different groups of kids who operate pretty happily within their own niche most of the time...

Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 PM

269 posts, read 490,683 times
I looked at both Flower Mound & Keller this year before purchasing a home in Keller. There are pro's and con's for both cities. It all depends on what you need from your new city.

By far, Flower Mound (under the Lewisville ISD) has the better schools, they have more exemplary middle & high schools than Keller, but, the median house prices in Flower Mound are much, much higher than Keller, and the houses are much older. New house applications are not being accepted in FM unless the lots are purchased with an acre!.

Both FM & Keller are very family orientated cities, and two of the top cities to live in North Texas. As for budget cuts, I don't think you can take that into account in this economy, sooner or later, every city is going to go through a budget crunch and they're going to have to make cuts!.

As already mentioned, Southlake is by far the best place to live in, even better than Keller & FM, they have a combined 11 schools (Elementary, Middle & HS) under the Carroll ISD and all 11 schools are exemplary, however, median house prices are in the $400K range!

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'll try and help!.

City of Keller : Home
Town of Flower Mound, Texas (http://www.flower-mound.com/index.php - broken link)

Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
I did not mention Southlake as the best place to live...in fact my comment was very negative about one aspect of the high school there...
the fact that Carroll ISD schools rank so well is indicative of their homogeneous, upper level student populations--much different than any other district's makeup except maybe Highland Park ISD

Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 AM

10,537 posts, read 22,423,690 times
I would suggest looking in Grapevine, too. If you have Flower Mound and Keller on your lists, we are halfway in between the two. There are LOTS of houses in your price range here. Grapevine also has a small-town feel, so it would be a little less different than the town you're leaving in Iowa. We also have some of the lowest property taxes in Tarrant County! City of Grapevine, Texas > Home

Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District
Both of the high schools in GCISD have the programs your daughter is interested in. I will warn you that it is almost impossible to do both band and cheerleading (or drill team) due to the amount of time that each activity requires. All of these squads practice for HOURS before and after school, and students usually cannot physically be in both practices at once.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 AM

121 posts, read 378,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIA View Post
Help, planning to move to Keller or Flower Mound I have a daughter going to be a Junior this next year 2010-2011. We are moving from a VERY small town in Iowa (approx 65 students in her graduating class) not sure what school district to move into. We know this will be a huge difference, she is outgoing but nervous. She loves band,dance,chearleading, & is interested in taking french, & drama, and is not into the "cliche" scene. We are looking at houses in the 250,000 to 350,000 area. She has not been exposed to a huge amount of culutral areas on a daily basis. We are by no means biasis, only being honest and do not want her to be over-whelmed by not only the move but cultural differances. What High School would you recommend for her? Any suggestions will help & be appreciated
I was in the same situation last year. We looked everywhere. We narrowed our choices to Keller, Flowermound, Trophy CLub and Frisco. We ended up in Trophy Club because of the high school, Byron Nelson. It is a brand new school and NOT large like most Texas High Schools. It will have a freshman, sophomore and Junior class next year. Each year they are adding a new freshman class until it is full. They have all the cheerleading, band, etc. things that your daughter does. Basically she will be a senior two years because she will be the top class. And like I said, next year they will add the next freshman class when she is a senior. The teachers are great, there are programs and clubs for the kids and the kids are encouraged to join. We love the school and the academic instruction my daughter received was great. She was commended on all parts of the statewide test. It has been a wonderful experience. The kids and families have been very welcoming. I know what it is like to move a daughter at that age. She WAS our number one concern when looking for a home and place for her to move to. We came from a smaller area too. Trophy Club is very small. But very convenient to the shopping of Southlake without the Southlake prices. There are homes in your price range and in the upper price ranges as well. She would be around a great mix of kids at Byron Nelson. We just received test scores and it is my understanding that the school as a whole did very well. And there is a lovely Community Pool, tennis courts and walking that my family enjoys in the summer. There is also a country club with all the amenities in Trophy Club if you are interested. Check it out!

Last edited by SCFriend; 05-30-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,481,772 times
you won't go wrong regardless of what district you choose. Some are suggesting others as well, that is probably good for some, but can get even more confusing. Being both districts are good and your daughter is outgoing look at the homes and what you will get for your buck. I lean slightly toward Flower Mound, but this is a very personal thing. Both of our granddaughters graduated from Marcus high school.

Good luck and tell your daughter she will have a blast making new friends and enjoying her new life.

Nita

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM

3,033 posts, read 11,027,698 times
it really depends on what kind of job commute you want or can handle.
The of the areas where you are looking have very good schools. If we know where the job is it will make help you find a good area for both schools and work would be eaiser.
There are some very good smaller districts around here like Argyle, Aledo etc... but don't want to suggest those if they are too far.

I love the Flowermound area, but as others have said if the job is in Ft Worth then the commute could be areal bear. esp with all the construction on 114/121 around DFW.

I would also look at Coppell. esp if the job is in Dallas.

And as well as the Grapevine area as someone else mentioned.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,732,447 times
Recommend you strongly consider Trophy Club and Coppell. Both smaller, more intimate and highly rated schools.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 AM

473 posts, read 1,070,528 times
It will take couple of months to adjust moving from a small town to Dallas. Issues like traffic, large schools, commute time and even overall cost of living (specially high property taxes). I moved from Kansas and have gone through it.
Depending on your work location, future prospects and house budget , I am guessing you already shortlisted the cities you mentioned. Now shortlist the high schools and take appointment with the schools Councillors. Neighborhoods are equally important. I took my son (a junior when we moved here) all along we went just to make him comfortable with the schools and compare them. We were looking for high academics and compared Southlake, Coppell, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Keller and Colleyville. We also wanted a neighborhood and city with more family and suburban living with some diversity. Also try to visit these schools when they are open with students around and try speaking to the students and their parents. Your family and personal requirements might be different so look for those in your interactions.The transition should be easy for everyone specially the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth