Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,761 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Frederick this summer with our 2 year old son and I was wondering which neighborhoods in Frederick or more broadly which towns in Frederick county tend to be gay friendly or more socially liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
In my opinion, Frederick County is a very conservative county. Downtown Frederick might be as liberal as it gets. Urbana might be a little more open minded as well. Folks are nice and I would think you would be fine in either of those two places.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Yeah, stay urban or clearly suburban. The rural farm areas are more conservative and more religious.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
I am assuming you are looking to rent initially when coming to Frederick. I will echo the sentiments of previous posters and say stay within the city of Frederick. I would say most of your Frederick County suburbs are just bedroom communities. I wouldn't expect anyone to hassle you but there is not much of a community feel. That isn't related to your relationship that is just the nature of the contemporary suburb. Some of your outer suburbs of FredCo really aren't suburbs at all and are their own separate communities. Once again, not a knock on any community but Thurmont isn't exactly known for its diversity and open-mindedness.

I would say the most favorable neighborhoods would be those around Hood College, which started out as the Women's College of Frederick. It didn't become fully co-ed until about 10 years ago and the adjacent neighborhoods seem to be pretty liberal. The neighborhoods are Baker Park, Rosedale, and Selwyn Farms but they are not subdivisions. They are mostly single family homes with some duplexes built between the 1930s and 1950s or 60s. There are a lot of parks in the area (notably Baker Park) and it is fairly close to downtown. Fairview Avenue is not a busy street but it connects these residential neighborhoods. Along Fairview there is a shopping center with a very nice and rarely busy Safeway and also some pretty contemporary apartments that look pretty well-maintained and always seem to have vacancies. Frederick Memorial Hospital is also close by. I hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I love those condos near Safeway! The ones with the green roofs, right? They look just like beach condos and many have fireplaces inside.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I love those condos near Safeway! The ones with the green roofs, right? They look just like beach condos and many have fireplaces inside.
Not too far way, the Hope VI program has really cleared out all of the housing projects in Frederick and similar developments to the one along Fairview have been put up in their place. They seem to be a little bit lower density but very well integrated into the overall landscape.

Last edited by Steelers10; 02-19-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 12,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I am assuming you are looking to rent initially when coming to Frederick. I will echo the sentiments of previous posters and say stay within the city of Frederick. I would say most of your Frederick County suburbs are just bedroom communities. I wouldn't expect anyone to hassle you but there is not much of a community feel. That isn't related to your relationship that is just the nature of the contemporary suburb. Some of your outer suburbs of FredCo really aren't suburbs at all and are their own separate communities. Once again, not a knock on any community but Thurmont isn't exactly known for its diversity and open-mindedness.

I would say the most favorable neighborhoods would be those around Hood College, which started out as the Women's College of Frederick. It didn't become fully co-ed until about 10 years ago and the adjacent neighborhoods seem to be pretty liberal. The neighborhoods are Baker Park, Rosedale, and Selwyn Farms but they are not subdivisions. They are mostly single family homes with some duplexes built between the 1930s and 1950s or 60s. There are a lot of parks in the area (notably Baker Park) and it is fairly close to downtown. Fairview Avenue is not a busy street but it connects these residential neighborhoods. Along Fairview there is a shopping center with a very nice and rarely busy Safeway and also some pretty contemporary apartments that look pretty well-maintained and always seem to have vacancies. Frederick Memorial Hospital is also close by. I hope this helps!
Thanks for the great information. Just curious if you had anything to add if we were looking to buy instead of rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: