Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 28,917 times

Advertisements

I moved to Maryland almost a year ago and currently I'm renting an apartment in a not-so-good part of Silver Spring. I work as an IT consultant and my primary work place is Vienna, VA and sometimes DC. But as an IT professional, I understand that when I change jobs my primary place would be most likely DC. Or, maybe some place in Virginia. That's where the government is and many computer jobs are around the gov.

Now, I'm looking for a house for myself and my parents. I spent 6 months driving around and checking the areas and the prices. I'm looking for a nice neighborhood and plan to buy a brand new single family home in ~450k price range.

So far the only place that I really liked and would fit my budget was Brunswick Crossing. We all really like this place, and the prices are good. the only con seems to be the commute. It's 40 miles to Vienna, VA which I technically can handle. You know, as an IT consultant, if I get to work at let's say 9:30 o even 10 am, I would be ok. How bad would be the drive in the mornings? Let's say if I leave Brunswick Crossing at 8 am, then would i be able to get to Vienna by 10?

Then comes DC. There's MARC train, so if I leave at 7:30 (I think) then I would be in DC by 9:15 or so. Not that bad.

I wonder if anyone lives in that area and works in DC or VA. What can you say about the traffic? Is it doable?

And then again, life is changing. Let's say I get another job somewhere else, for example in VA. How bad would that be?

I would appreciate any suggestions or experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM

148 posts, read 369,678 times
There are lots and lots of people who live in Brunswick and commute to DC on the train or to Northern Virginia by car. So yes, it can be done, and I can't think it's that bad, especially since your hours can be somewhat later. I imagine that you'd just take the road from Brunswick into Virginia (is it Rt. 267?) and hit the Dulles Greenway to the toll road to get to Vienna. So it's going to cost some in tolls, but it can't be anywhere nearly as bad as 270. I work in Frederick so I don't have any commuting experience there, but non-commuting hours it seems fine.

Brunswick Crossing is a nice new development and I've always wanted to go through the model homes, just for fun and to see what they're like. We live in Jefferson, which is a few miles from Brunswick, but we always enjoy walking on the canal and it seems like the Brunswick downtown merchants host frequent (monthly?) events like movies in the park, themed nights out, fireworks, etc. I know everyone is looking forward to the newer grocery store in the shopping center, as well as the future shopping/dining options in Brunswick Crossing itself.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM

244 posts, read 572,845 times
Brunswick Crossing will be a wonderful community when it's all said and done. The new library is amazing, there is a public pool nearby and you aren't far from a major highway. If you leave Brunswick at 8am, you will surely make it to Vienna by 10, unless there is a major accident. You could even drive to the MARC station in Brunswick/Point of Rocks, MD (not far from Brunswick) and not even drive into Frederick.Many people from this area drive into the DC metro area to work. My neighbors drive into the Pentagon and into Arlington. My husband to Tyson's Corner so you will not be alone!!! Good luck!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
Brunswick Crossing will be a wonderful community when it's all said and done. The new library is amazing, there is a public pool nearby and you aren't far from a major highway. If you leave Brunswick at 8am, you will surely make it to Vienna by 10, unless there is a major accident. You could even drive to the MARC station in Brunswick/Point of Rocks, MD (not far from Brunswick) and not even drive into Frederick.Many people from this area drive into the DC metro area to work. My neighbors drive into the Pentagon and into Arlington. My husband to Tyson's Corner so you will not be alone!!! Good luck!
Is Brunswick Crossing a suburban-like part of the small town of Brunswick?

How far out is it from the center of town itself? Is that going towards Frederick?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,476 times
I've always felt that part of Frederick County was very pretty, close to the river, the woods, hills, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
George Washington agrees with you

http://www.discoverfrederickmd.com/Q...fe/history.htm

Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 28,917 times
George Washington didn't have to drive to Tyson's to work

Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prikindel View Post
George Washington didn't have to drive to Tyson's to work
Zing!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Brunswick Crossing a suburban-like part of the small town of Brunswick?

How far out is it from the center of town itself? Is that going towards Frederick?

Brunswick Crossing is a subdivision outside of Brunswick 'proper' but literally only three minutes away from downtown. It's a beautiful community.

It's all off the same exit. When you come off 340 you actually come across Brunswick Crossing before downtown Brunswick.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,476 times
Are they still building in that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick