Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,977,187 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was wondering if I could get a few locals opinions about a possible relocation to the Frederick area. I'm 24 years old, and have a semester of grad school under my belt from ASU. My undergrad is in Secondary Social Studies Education.

My question is this...

Are the middle and high schools in the Frederick district in need of teachers, particularly social studies teachers? I'd love to move back East for many reasons. I love Phoenix, but it's just too far away from my family back in West Virginia and too politically conservative for me. I've also read that many districts in Maryland will pay for your masters degree if you sign contracts with them. Anyone know anything about that?

Would we be happy in the area? Is the area conservative, liberal or a solid mixture? Would a young gay married couple have any issues in the area? My husband's bachelors is in psychology, would he be able to find a job fairly easily? Is there a night life? Are there trails and ample parks for hiking and running?

Any info would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM

77 posts, read 293,362 times
Not sure about the jobs here for teachers as I'm a recent transplant myself. However as my partner and I have noticed since moving here, Frederick and the surrounding area seem to be more open minded than one would typically think of a small city its size. I think it depends on where you are though. The closer you get to DC the more diverse and open its going to be, and possibly the same with Baltimore. If you go north of Frederick (towards Thurmont) the area becomes more rural and more conservative in nature. The same goes for WV beyond Harpers Ferry. Hagerstown (where we live) is more conservative than Frederick, but not noticeably). That's not to say that none of these areas are dangerous for gay couples. I have found that people are generally friendly down here and if you keep to yourself then you won't have a problem. I mean if you go around waving rainbow flags everywhere then you're bound to draw attention. But for the most part we have found no hostility towards us. As for a night life I would say there isn't much. There are a handful of gay clubs/bars scattered around Martinsburg, Hagerstown, and Frederick. There is even a place in the middle of nowhere between Frederick and Hagerstown called the Lodge. (The Lodge : Lounge : Dance Club But the Frederick night life seems to die after midnight when the restaurants downtown close. The beauty is that if you want nightlife you're only a hop skip and a jump away from DC or Baltimore. As for the nature question, this area is SO rich in natural beauty with many national, state, and municipal parks to explore so you won't be lacking there! Hope this helps and it would be nice to see another couple come to the area.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 PM

389 posts, read 794,987 times
GHO,

Frederick is a satellite city--about 50 miles north of DC, it has its own urban core surrounded by significant suburban development and is an exurban hub for DC commuters. It is Maryland's second largest incorporated city (behind Baltimore) with a population of about 60,000. It is located in Maryland's Catoctin region, characterized by rolling hills, broad valleys, and abundant farmland.

Regarding the political landscape, Frederick County is basically split 50/50 between Republicans and Democrats, with the Repubs having a slight edge. Frederick City could probably be considered moderately liberal, despite Fort Detrick's location there, with the most liberal area being downtown. Frederick County, emanating outward from Frederick, is more conservative, with the exception of a few of the newer suburban towns. North of town, closer to PA, is the most conservative part of the county (Thurmont, Emmitsburg, etc.). While the areas of neighboring counties closest to Frederick tend to be conservative areas, Montgomery and Howard Counties (south and southwest, respectively) are, on the whole, among the most liberal in the state. On the other hand, Washington County (west) is pretty conservative and Carroll County (east) is the most Republican county in the state. Nearby areas in other states tend to be conservative as well (with Jefferson County, WV as somewhat of an exception). Hopefully, that at least gives you an idea of the type of people that live, work, and play in Frederick everyday. Overall, if you move to the right areas, you'll find like-minded people abound and I don't foresee anyone making an issue of your sexual orientation. Keep in mind that a huge portion of the population migrated from closer-in burbs or moved there for work near DC. If you found Huntington and Elkins to be mostly accepting, you should have absolutely no worries in Frederick.

Frederick lies adjacent to the Blue Ridge Mountain range and, thereby, has lots of outdoor venues nearby. Frederick Municipal Forest, Cunningham Falls State Park, South Mountain State Park, Greenbrier State Park, Catoctin Mountain Park (home of Camp David!), the Appalachian Trail, and the C&O Canal Towpath are all in close proximity to Frederick. Obviously, the outdoor opportunities don't even touch what's available in my home area of Western Maryland or your home area of the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia, but those places are only a short drive away. Also, if you like history, Monocacy National Battlefield, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Leesburg, and Gettysburg are all really close to Frederick.

While I can't tell you for sure, I would assume Frederick still needs new teachers as its one of the fastest growing counties in the state. Growing up in Allegany County, I remember a lot of my teachers were going for their master's while simultaneously teaching. From what I understand, this resulted in a pay increase, but I'm not sure as to whether the school board was fronting the bill or not.

If you do decide on the Frederick area, I would wholeheartedly recommend downtown Frederick. It's truly a gem. With Market Street at its core, it's an extremely walkable neighborhood with lots of historic rowhouses. Carroll Creek Linear Park runs right through the middle of downtown and Baker Park, a beautiful city park, is adjacent to downtown. Today, the area is a hotspot for young professionals and home to many unique restaurants and shops. Nightlife appears to be pretty hoppin' but definitely more of the Happy Hour/bar variety. MARC (commuter rail to DC) has a stop in downtown Frederick as well for easy access to DC and close-in burbs.

Aside from its great little slice of urbanity, Frederick also has great suburban amenities. As a sizable city near DC and Baltimore, Frederick has some of the more exclusive restaurant chains (Bonefish, Macaroni Grill, etc.) and nicer amenities (Wegmans, etc.) that you won't find in other places.

All things considered, I think Frederick would be a great move for you guys. It is one of my favorite places in the state, truth be told. We cross paths rather frequently over on the West Virginia forum, so if you ever have any further questions about Frederick or any part of Maryland as moving day eventually approaches I'd be happy to answer them. You know where to find me!

Check this out:
//www.city-data.com/forum/frede...ig-thread.html

This video is geared more towards businesses, but I think it shows off a lot of what Frederick is all about as well:

CITY OF FREDERICK Official Economic Development Film - YouTube

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 AM

Thanks for your responses guys!

Jackson Jeep - We've never had any problems... really ever... haha We don't expect a parade everytime we go out to eat or anything but we'll occasionally hold hands or give each other a peck on the cheek when we're leaving each other to go back to work or something like that... We've never been into PDA... lol it just makes me feel uncomfortable seeing anyone do it... except for when old people hold hands.... that is adorable.

Drs72- Thanks for the information!! I thought your ID sounded familiar... As I mentioned to Jackson Jeep we've never had a problem and I always felt completely safe in Huntington and Elkins. Well... a little less in Huntington... lol But like I mentioned earlier too... a peck on the cheek or the occasional hand holding isn't going to cause a big stir is it? I don't really care if it does per'se but it would be a good idea to have a heads up.

The fact that Maryland recognizes out of state marriages weighed heavily on our decision to choose Maryland over West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. We wanted to be within a 3-4 hour drive to Elkins and Parkersburg instead of being a 5 hour flight away, and still relatively close to a major city. We're still potentially considering actually living in DC as well.

How would you compare Rockville to Frederick in terms of nightlife, young professionals, rent and homes for sale? etc We've always lived in a downtown setting since we met, but perhaps in a few years once we get settled in with jobs we'd like to buy our first home. He'd be fine with a flat or condo in downtown, but I'm more of a cookie cutter gated subdivision with a yard type guy...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM

6,948 posts, read 11,212,230 times
I would stick to the urban areas of the Frederick city limits, or the newer suburbs like Urbana. When you get off the beat path, Frederick County is very conservative, especially the more northerly parts around Thurmont. I don't think living there would be dangerous for a gay couple, but the combination of not being from there, and being gay, would make it hard to "fit in" with the locals.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM

389 posts, read 794,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Drs72- Thanks for the information!! I thought your ID sounded familiar... As I mentioned to Jackson Jeep we've never had a problem and I always felt completely safe in Huntington and Elkins. Well... a little less in Huntington... lol But like I mentioned earlier too... a peck on the cheek or the occasional hand holding isn't going to cause a big stir is it? I don't really care if it does per'se but it would be a good idea to have a heads up.

The fact that Maryland recognizes out of state marriages weighed heavily on our decision to choose Maryland over West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. We wanted to be within a 3-4 hour drive to Elkins and Parkersburg instead of being a 5 hour flight away, and still relatively close to a major city. We're still potentially considering actually living in DC as well.

How would you compare Rockville to Frederick in terms of nightlife, young professionals, rent and homes for sale? etc We've always lived in a downtown setting since we met, but perhaps in a few years once we get settled in with jobs we'd like to buy our first home. He'd be fine with a flat or condo in downtown, but I'm more of a cookie cutter gated subdivision with a yard type guy...
Yeah, I definitely don't see where that would be a problem in Frederick. The area has really grown up from what was once a little cow town. I think you'd be surprised just how cosmopolitan Frederick is for a city its size. You'll find a great mix of DC suburbanites and people that actually have roots in the community. As I stated earlier, Frederick has a military presence and surrounding country/small towns that give it a conservative aspect but there are still a lot of liberals and transplants. I think you'll find it quite liberal compared to even the most Democratic areas of West Virginia. While Bobby Sue might not approve of that peck on the cheek, I think it's safe to say that it would be very frowned upon in the community if she were to display her disappoval in any manner.

Maryland is one of those states where you can live in a quiet, scenic, and friendly conservative place and still rest assured that the state, as a whole, is and always will be liberal. Recognition of same sex marriages from other states is just one example of our liberal government. However, I would expect the legalization of same sex marriages in Maryland by the time you get here. Everyone thought it was going to pass earlier this year and it did come very close. This is an issue that the governor and lieutenant governor are pushing very hard and it will be brought up in the state legislature every session until it passes (to be honest, it's probably going to happen within the next year).

Distance-wise, Frederick is 3 and 1/2 hours from Elkins and 4 and 1/2 hours from Parkersburg. Once Corridor H is finished your drive home will be significantly shorter.

As for Rockville, it's the county seat of Montgomery County. It has both MARC and the Metro. It is significantly closer to DC. However, aside from Rockville Town Center ("town center" means artificial, built-all-at-once downtown in the DC area), there are virtually no walkable areas. It's typical urban sprawl. While that may be for you, I prefer somewhere with a little more character (at least at the core) and a community feel. No offense if this is what you're really into, but I just can't imagine you, as young people, holed up in a house surrounded by upper middle class families. Boring.... You may be able to find a townhome or something to that effect that has younger people though. Don't discount Frederick as a place to settle in a suburban setting if you choose to go that route. They have a wealth of suburban neighborhoods as well.

What may make the difference in the end is price. Frederick County while still rather expensive, is much cheaper than Montgomery County (especially closest to DC). That's one of the reasons so many people in the DC area choose to live out in these places. Some travel from as far as Hagerstown and further just so they can afford a house with a yard for their family. You'll find Maryland is a state of commuters. People from Southern Maryland make crazy commutes to DC, people from the Eastern Shore commute across the Bay Bridge, people from Hagerstown commute to DC, people from Baltimore commute to DC, people from Cumberland commute to Hagerstown and Winchester, and so on. I've even been hearing increasingly of people that live primarily in the Cumberland area and power commute to the I-270 corridor, even going so far as to invest in an apartment down there. I would use "close to work" as a universal point of reference during your search.

In terms of nightlife, Frederick definitely has a huge upper hand over Rockville. Montgomery County is family-oriented at its roots and still has pretty strict laws and regulations when it comes to bars, alcohol, etc. On the other hand, if you live near the Rockville Metro stop, you could always ride in to one of the DC hotspots but remember that the Metro doesn't run 24/7.

Somewhere else in Maryland that I think you might really like is Annapolis, our state capital. It has to be one of the most beautiful capital cities in the country. It's a small city nestled against the Chesapeake Bay with a lot of colonial architecture and a cool downtown. Amenities-wise, it probably trumps Frederick. Westfield Annapolis is arguably the best mall in the state, coupled with Annapolis Town Center, and the nearby Arundel Mills mega mall (Medieval Times, Egyptian-themed cinema, etc). Annapolis is also sort of conservative due, in part, to the Naval Academy, but I would wager that most people in our age bracket are pretty liberal. Annapolis would put you about 30 miles from Baltimore (which is a good thing, despite stereotypes) and DC. It's also right next to the Bay Bridge which makes for easy weekend excursions to Eastern Shore destinations (Ocean City, Saint Michaels, Assateague, Delaware beaches, etc.).

Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 AM

244 posts, read 571,553 times
Many of the teachers I had 20+ years ago are retiring in Frederick County, MD so there is definitely a need for teachers. I would look at their website for job openings (Frederick County Public Schools) but Fred Co, Montgomery Co and Calvert Co are among the highest paying for teachers. I know that if you complete Master's classes you get a pay raise, but I honestly don't know if they'll pay for the whole degree.

If you want night life, I'd live in Frederick City itself or closer to Rockville and drive the opposite way of rush hour traffic. MANY MANY teachers in Fred Co live in Gettysburg, WV, Urbana etc so they aren't driving with rush hour usually.

I think most of the posters have covered everything else about this area. What grade would you most like to teach??

Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
Many of the teachers I had 20+ years ago are retiring in Frederick County, MD so there is definitely a need for teachers. I would look at their website for job openings (Frederick County Public Schools) but Fred Co, Montgomery Co and Calvert Co are among the highest paying for teachers. I know that if you complete Master's classes you get a pay raise, but I honestly don't know if they'll pay for the whole degree.

If you want night life, I'd live in Frederick City itself or closer to Rockville and drive the opposite way of rush hour traffic. MANY MANY teachers in Fred Co live in Gettysburg, WV, Urbana etc so they aren't driving with rush hour usually.

I think most of the posters have covered everything else about this area. What grade would you most like to teach??
Well I think I'd prefer middle school aged.. but I'm certified through high school as well in social studies.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM

244 posts, read 571,553 times
I would think, teaching middle school, will guarantee you a job just about anywhere. Tere aren't many postings for teachers right now but keep your eye on the FCPS website. To be honest, I have heard--at least in my school district--you need to know someone to get a teaching job. An example, a male did his student teaching in 2nd grade and for 2 years he subbed whenever he could, even taking some long term sub positions. He recently became a 3rd grade teacher b/c one retired and he showed his face so much, everyone knew him. Don't let this quell your spirits in applying for a teaching job around this area, though!
Here is a link to the salary scale within the county: http://fcps.schoolwires.com/15291095112233603/lib/15291095112233603/Copy_of_Tch_Salary_Scale_Matrix_2011-12.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 AM

4 posts, read 15,456 times
Nightlife in the Frederick area can be pretty swinging! Lots of restaurants/bars, music, theater, etc. Here's a new site that is a guide/calendar for the Frederick, MD area (Frederick County, Hagerstown, Mt. Airy) nightlife and events:

http://www.frederickscene.com

It lists live music, karaoke nights, DJs, poker nights, etc.--hope that helps!!

---
http://www.frederickscene.com
http://www.twitter.com/frederickscene

Last edited by Frederick Scene; 01-10-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: url
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick