Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

I explored a bit into parts of Frederick recently.

I was particularly interested in the areas that were relatively commutable to DC.

Mt. Airy looked interesting. When I drove around, it seemed larger than I thought. A bit of hills and quite pleasant. Probably a bit of a hike to get into DC though.

Brunswick is right on the MARC train. I can see why people might suggest further and get into West Virginia. However, Brunswick is a bit closer, and had an interesting feel in general. A mini-Pittsburgh. Not much around there for restaurants or larger stores. But interesting in itself.

Point-of-Rocks is quite small, but interesting enough seems to have a small group of residential housing as well. Interesting.

I didn't explore much of the others, but driving down 355 looked quite interesting off the major highway. Some nice rolling hills....wondering how long before it starts to look like Germantown and that south?

Just for general discussion....what changes do you assume might take place in some of these various towns, or throughout the county in general?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
I bet downtown Brunswick will continue to improve and attract train commuters, adding urban amenities. The addition of that monstrosity of a Ryan Homes development off of 340 will also fuel demand for a "destination" downtown much closer than the drive to Frederick.

Brunswick reminds me a lot of Cumberland, which is why I think I like it so much. I am betting Brunswick will look a little bit more like Shepherdstown in 20 years.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
The I-270 coorridor will continue to be developed. The Monocacy National Battlefield and the MoCo ag. reserve will cause the Urbana region to keep developing rapidly and densely. The suburbanization of the Middletown valley will continue.

Frederick City will be feast and famine. The inner city will continue its gentrification, the oldest townhouse burbs around the central city and in Walkersville will become the new ghetto, probably worse than now as the Section 8 population keeps getting encouraged to move west.

North and east of Walkersville will remain mostly farm country. Development will limited to large lots or centered around Thurmont.

That is all, the crystal has gone dark.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-18-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I bet downtown Brunswick will continue to improve and attract train commuters, adding urban amenities. The addition of that monstrosity of a Ryan Homes development off of 340 will also fuel demand for a "destination" downtown much closer than the drive to Frederick.

Brunswick reminds me a lot of Cumberland, which is why I think I like it so much. I am betting Brunswick will look a little bit more like Shepherdstown in 20 years.
I live in that "monstrosity" (Brunswick Crossing). It's actually a beautiful and appealing neighborhood, with homes by both Ryan and Advantage. There's wonderful trails, nice tot lots, a future pool and community center, and a lot more planned as the community develops. We've only been here a few months, and we rented in downtown Brunswick while our house was being built, after moving from Howard County. I could not be happier with the area. People are so friendly, the scenery is gorgeous, we are close to the Potomac River, we like the elementary school, and we're a short, easy drive to Frederick, Leesburg, and Harper's Ferry. My husband takes the Marc train into DC everyday, and though his commute is about an hour, he can sleep right through it. Downtown Brunswick is really working on improvements, and has a few nice little shops. Eventually, Brunswick Crossing will open a marketplace with a grocery store, shopping, and restaurants. I look forward to that, especially once we get some good restaurants.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM

386 posts, read 655,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The I-270 coorridor will continue to be developed. The Monocacy National Battlefield and the MoCo ag. reserve will cause the Urbana region to keep developing rapidly and densely. The suburbanization of the Middletown valley will continue.

Frederick City will be feast and famine. The inner city will continue its gentrification, the oldest townhouse burbs around the central city and in Walkersville will become the new ghetto, probably worse than now as the Section 8 population keeps getting encouraged to move west.

North and east of Walkersville will remain mostly farm country. Development will limited to large lots or centered around Thurmont.

That is all, the crystal has gone dark.
...and the urbanization of the state continues. Im afraid anything within the triangle of DC, baltimore and fredrick will become a great big giant city.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
I live in that "monstrosity" (Brunswick Crossing). It's actually a beautiful and appealing neighborhood, with homes by both Ryan and Advantage. There's wonderful trails, nice tot lots, a future pool and community center, and a lot more planned as the community develops. We've only been here a few months, and we rented in downtown Brunswick while our house was being built, after moving from Howard County. I could not be happier with the area. People are so friendly, the scenery is gorgeous, we are close to the Potomac River, we like the elementary school, and we're a short, easy drive to Frederick, Leesburg, and Harper's Ferry. My husband takes the Marc train into DC everyday, and though his commute is about an hour, he can sleep right through it. Downtown Brunswick is really working on improvements, and has a few nice little shops. Eventually, Brunswick Crossing will open a marketplace with a grocery store, shopping, and restaurants. I look forward to that, especially once we get some good restaurants.
Jessy I didnt mean to dis your place . The "monstrosity" was more a comment about its sheer size - it's HUGE! It's got to be bigger than the town of Brunswick itself.

I thought it was closer to 90 minutes on the MARC from Brunswick to Union Station?

The homes looked much nicer than they average subdivision's. Those types of developments are not my cup of tea, though.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
I thought it was closer to 90 minutes on the MARC from Brunswick to Union Station?
I read the same on the MARC website. 90 minutes.

60 would be pretty cool!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM

There's about 55 miles of old B&O track between Brunswick and DC so yeah, 60 minutes would be a real feat.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
Quote:
Jessy I didnt mean to dis your place . The "monstrosity" was more a comment about its sheer size - it's HUGE! It's got to be bigger than the town of Brunswick itself.

The homes looked much nicer than they average subdivision's. Those types of developments are not my cup of tea, though.
No biggie, I know subdivisions aren't for everyone. I actually wasn't interested in living in one until we built our home here. You're right about that- it will be huge when it's done!
I asked my husband- he said it usually takes him about an hour and 20 minutes to get to DC on the train. It's perfect for him- in the morning he sleeps, in the afternoon he answers emails and looks at the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick