Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM

115 posts, read 163,561 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine just moved to Frederick and shes been getting informed about cancer in the water or something like that in Frederick. I'm not sure at all and a Google search didn't bring up too much about it. Her neighbors are saying its from some army base but she shouldn't worry because it only effects people who use well water?? I have no clue about any of this if someone could fill me in that would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
There are some people living near Fort Deitrick who feel that there is a cancer cluster near the base caused by groundwater contamination. There have been studies by (I believe) NIH as well as the Army. Results are inconclusive or negative but the group claims the data is rigged. Since it has to do with groundwater contamination it would only affect those on well water not on city water.

It has been covered in the Frederick News Post here is a link to an article a little while back.

The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks!!! ^^^^^^^^

Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Another thread about it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/frede...-maryland.html

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks I'll read more about it!!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Ok so my friend is really bugging out about this she lives aprox 4.4 miles away from ft d (according to google) over by mill run place or street not sure which one, so much so she's considering moving out of frederick all together do you guys think she should leave or is she just worrying too much

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Mill Run Place is located out in the area known as Ballenger Creek That area is not even in the area being discussed. The area is on the West Side of Ft Deitrick near Yellow Springs Rd. It doesn't even extend to Shookstown Rd, let alone to Rt 40. It is near a part of Ft Deitrick called Area B that was used for dumping in years past. I don't even believe she is even in the same watershed area since their is a ridge of High ground that runs along Butterfly Lane. Also The affected area are places that used to be on Well water (I think all are on city water now but I'm not sure) She is on City Water that comes from several sources - The Potomac River and wells up on Gambrill Mt in the Frederick city Watershed. It is all tested and treated I would have no concerns in that area. I lived for 15 years in the 'Hillcrest' area between where she is and Ft Detrick and had NO concerns then or later. I raised three children there including one who was 2 months old when we moved in. He is now 6'2 and probably 210 Lbs and completed Army Airborne School last year. His older brother is 6'4 and probably 250 lbs. Neither they nor their sister have had any illnesses that were not typical childhood diseases and not even many of them. I would have no problem living or raising a family where she lives (except I like our side of Braddock Mt better :-)

Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Mill Run Place is located out in the area known as Ballenger Creek That area is not even in the area being discussed. The area is on the West Side of Ft Deitrick near Yellow Springs Rd. It doesn't even extend to Shookstown Rd, let alone to Rt 40. It is near a part of Ft Deitrick called Area B that was used for dumping in years past. I don't even believe she is even in the same watershed area since their is a ridge of High ground that runs along Butterfly Lane. Also The affected area are places that used to be on Well water (I think all are on city water now but I'm not sure) She is on City Water that comes from several sources - The Potomac River and wells up on Gambrill Mt in the Frederick city Watershed. It is all tested and treated I would have no concerns in that area. I lived for 15 years in the 'Hillcrest' area between where she is and Ft Detrick and had NO concerns then or later. I raised three children there including one who was 2 months old when we moved in. He is now 6'2 and probably 210 Lbs and completed Army Airborne School last year. His older brother is 6'4 and probably 250 lbs. Neither they nor their sister have had any illnesses that were not typical childhood diseases and not even many of them. I would have no problem living or raising a family where she lives (except I like our side of Braddock Mt better :-)
Hey man thanks for all the info i just have no clue since i have never been there. but I'll show her this so she can stop worrying about it..

Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.diddy View Post
Hey man thanks for all the info i just have no clue since i have never been there. but I'll show her this so she can stop worrying about it..
Don't mention to her that the entire state has a higher than expected cancer rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick