Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM

39 posts, read 89,016 times

Advertisements

What is the general consensus?

It looks like a beautiful and practical place to raise a family. However, we know nothing about the schools or whether the homes keep their value. Is the recent downturn in price due to the economy, in general or is it something more organic to the neighborhood? If the former, it looks like it could be a great value to buy there right now. TIA for any information you might have. We thought we were heading to San Antonio, but it looks like Frederick is the place to be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 PM

I'll also add a request for any information anyone knows about the River Oaks neighborhood off of Linganore Rd.

Slow board, huh?!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
I lived in Spring Ridge for a while and really enjoyed it. Good location, close to many amenities, nice community pool, walking trails, etc. Don't know much about the elementary school in the neighborhood.....I think at one time they were busing kids from some tougher areas of Frederick to Spring Ridge Elementary but not sure they still do. I would say the schools are probably very good, especially the newly built middle and high schools. Most houses and townhouses are well kept and there is an HOA to keep things in check. I think you would like it there.

Only drawback I can think of is the noise from the airport, but it isn't bad.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM

htownterp - thanks~ appreciate your thoughts!!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Well Saturday is a busy day for many of us in Frederick County. Add to that the things that need to be done for Christmas and many folks don't have time to be logging in today.

Spring Ridge is a nice area. Most of my experience is with the area of Frederick county west of Frederick but here goes.

I don't think there are any 'bad schools' in Frederick county. Not sure which elementary schools serve any particular areas but I have heard very good things about Spring Ridge Elementary. I believe they are served by Oak Ridge High School I believe the newest physical plant in the county. I believe that parent involvement is the most important factor in any school (especially the lower levels) I believe there is very good parent participation in that area. I believe that the quality and professionalism of Frederick county Schools is excellent.

I will say there is a current battle within the school system and the County Gov't. The current Board of County Commisioners (BOCC) are reactionary Teapartiers who were elected in reaction to some liberal leaning property rights issues with the previous BOCC. In the last two years they have tried to get very involved in decisions of the Board of Ed (BOE). In the most recent BOE election (which is supposed to be non partisan) The President of the BOCC who has an afternoon radio show on a local station (sort of a Local Rush Limbaugh or so he thinks) said he only needed one more member of the BOE to control it and actively pushed for the election of two candidates. (their were three seats up for election.) None of his candidates were elected. The ones championed by the PTA and Frederick County Teachers Association (FCTA) took all the seats. So the budget negotiations this coming spring will be interesting. But I have faith that the people of Frederick County want a good school system and things will work out.

I believe housing values in Frederick county will hold or improve at least as good as anywhere in the country. Since we haven't dropped as much as some areas it not be as 'spectacular' a recovery as some reported in the media but with the continued desirability of this area as a commuting suburb of the DC area I have no fear of property values.

Hope this helps

Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM

63 posts, read 98,467 times
frederick would be ok if it wasn't so expensive. it's almost more affordable to live in charleson sc near the beach than in frederick.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Might be, but in this region it is considered on of the better values, especially if you have kids in the school system

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Frederick City taxes are killer.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,204 times
I currently live in Spring Ridge in Frederick. It's not in the city, so we don't pay the city taxes. We've lived here 13 years.

It's a pretty nice area, with people of all ages.

Our kids are grown now, and the school district has changed. Spring Ridge Elementary, obviously is for all the kids in the development, plus some nearby. I've never heard of kids being bussed in from somewhere else. When our kids were in school, the elementary school here fed into TJ Middle and TJ High.

After a long fight, I think now the entire development of Spring Ridge now goes to Oakdale Middle and High schools in New Market. There was a debate about splitting the development and keeping some at TJ and sending some to Oakdale. Some of the arguments were ridiculous.

As far as quality of life, it's pretty good. We moved here from a very tight-knit neighborhood in VA. Unfortunately we haven't found that kind of camaraderie. Some folks on our block left because of severe in-fighitng among themselvs. My family pretty much keep to ourselves. Others do seem quite happy, though some very outgoing, friendly people I do know say they really don't get that hometown feel.

Still housing values, while not the same as they were 10 years ago, are holding up pretty well and can be higher than other parts of Frederick, but not too much soo. If you can hould out long enough, you may be able to find a good bargain.

The development as what they call a "FAN" Club, (Friends and Neighbors) anyone can join. They host a wide variety of activities including groups that go to movies, dinners, etc. Some are family oriented, some are for adults only. There are also regular summer concerts and movie nights in the summer at one of the parks. The pools are nicely maintained, and also host summer activities. There is a recreational committee in charge of events throughout the year. There is a group also looking into getting the development to put in a dog park for residents in an otherwise unusable open area.

In general, it's pretty quiet, but with lots for families to do.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Katnap,

Thank you for your post. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for! That's interesting about the development now going to Oakdale MS/HS. That could work out nicely. I am disappointed to hear that it's not as close knit as it appears to be from the outside, but the social group sounds fun. Again, I appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully, we'll figure out exactly where we want to be soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick