Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM

596 posts, read 937,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
In my research, Frederick area is way more expensive than the Richmond area, which I found COL to be reasonable. NoVa and MD COL and tax are pretty high. Why would you want to leave Richmond? Have you thought about Raleigh-Durham area, pretty diverse and cheap to live relatively speaking?
Frederick is extremely expensive. You can easily spend 300K on some fairly cheap townhome to live there. It's more affordable to live in Charleson SC near the beach than Frederick. Part of it is Frederick has a lot of control freaks who are against "sprawl" and new development so the supply is limited and prices go up as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalde View Post
Thanks guys, for the feedback! We went to visit today. The downtown lives up to everything people have told us. We come from a bigger city and aren't sure if we are going to miss the city feel. So we thought we could live closer to DC, either Germantown or Gaithersburg... But We did not like Germantown. Gaithersburg may be a little far from work in Frederick. I will look at the suburbs that you guys mentioned.

Thanks again!

By the way, we don't mind conservative areas. I'm pretty sure it's better than living in Virginia, which is the beginning of the South...
What didn't you like about Germantown? I wouldn't think that Gaithersburg would be all that different.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Gaithersburg and Germantown is the same area in my view. If you live in Germantown, you will be going to Gaithersburg to the mall and other stuff all the time.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Conservatives aren't anti-gay, they are anti-gay marriage but most support civil unions which is a position many liberal Democrats also take.
LOLZ so far from the truth, I don't know where to begin.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM

147 posts, read 292,807 times
Quote:
Frederick is extremely expensive. You can easily spend 300K on some fairly cheap townhome to live there. It's more affordable to live in Charleson SC near the beach than Frederick. Part of it is Frederick has a lot of control freaks who are against "sprawl" and new development so the supply is limited and prices go up as a result.
Frederick is pretty expensive, but 300K on a townhouse isn't accurate. You can get a decent-sized townhouse in a suburb within a 10 minute drive of downtown for less than 200K.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post
Frederick is pretty expensive, but 300K on a townhouse isn't accurate. You can get a decent-sized townhouse in a suburb within a 10 minute drive of downtown for less than 200K.
300K on a townhouse is accurate... although the prices do get progressively higher the farther south you go in the city. In Urbana (which was considered as part of Frederick city in the address until recently), a typical townhouse is about 400K. In the Northwest portion of Frederick, it's maybe around 200 - 250K.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
300K on a townhouse is accurate... although the prices do get progressively higher the farther south you go in the city. In Urbana (which was considered as part of Frederick city in the address until recently), a typical townhouse is about 400K. In the Northwest portion of Frederick, it's maybe around 200 - 250K.
Depends how big and where. Yes, there are 300K townhouses around. There are also 3 bedroom townhouses in decent neighborhoods not far from Frederick city for 150-200K. I agree Frederick is expensive, but it's not like you can't find anything decent without spending a tremendous amount of money.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
LOLZ so far from the truth, I don't know where to begin.
Liberals think everything is about gay people. I don't think most conservatives are out to get gay people, some people think marriage is b/t a man and a woman, and society does get to vote on such things. I won't lose sleep either way, but to define conservatism as some kind of anti-gay movement simply because some conservatives oppose gay marriage is liberal Bill Maher hack stuff.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM

You won't get housing in Frederick for 200K unless it is super cheap construction. Most of the housing in the 300K is cheap construction that would be like 150K max in South Carolina.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
You won't get housing in Frederick for 200K unless it is super cheap construction. Most of the housing in the 300K is cheap construction that would be like 150K max in South Carolina.
I don't know much about construction, but I do know the first house I lived in was a decent, albeit rather small, townhouse in suburban Frederick, built in the 1980's. Townhouses of that size (3BR, 2BA) in that neighborhood and similar neighborhoods go for around 150-180K now. Is that expensive for what you get? Compared to many cities, yes, compared to other cities, not really. Re: construction, my family had no issues with the construction in that house. But I digress, as this isn't on topic for really anything the OP was discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick