Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM

85 posts, read 159,802 times

Advertisements

I know this is a silly question, but we are relocating back to the area from South Carolina. We lived in Hagerstown and worked in Frederick previously. We are no strangers to DC/VA traffic having lived there as well, and there is an opportunity in Fairfax for work. It's too pricey for us to live in that immediate area, and we'd need to find a house or townhouse that has three bedrooms, a garage, and accepts cats. We realize the rent is considerably more expensive, but buying is not an option right now. We're looking to spend around 1500 a month (we could bend a few hundred if the schools are decent), and we're pretty much faced with a commute no matter which state we live in. I'd like to be in Frederick, and I hear Brunswick isn't so bad with the train (I used to live in Knoxville as well), but I don't see many rental options in Brunswick. My question is this: how is the commute from Frederick to Fairfax, either driving or public transportation? We have two children, and we're ready to lay down some roots for them, so schools are a concern. Any ideas about the commute and whether it's even an option? Otherwise, we're looking at Warrenton, VA, and surrounding areas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM

461 posts, read 1,278,080 times
Boy, that's a heck of a commute. Even if you took the train from Brunswick or Frederick, you would have to metro it over to Fairfax, and that is assuming your place of work is near a metro station.

If I were you I'd look into something closer on either side of the Potomac River. Maybe an older townhouse in Leesburg or Germantown until you can save up to purchase something else. If that is too pricey, maybe try something off of MD 85 around Westview in Frederick. You possibly could find a rental in that price range and that would put you closer to I-270....assuming you would make the commute by car. I wouldn't look in Brunswick if you are going to commute via car.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Yeah, it's looking like a long commute. We can't afford anywhere in Leesburg, and we're trying to stay away from 270 as it's a nightmare. I used to drive against traffic from Falls Church to Frederick, and I remember thinking I'd never wish that commute on the other side of the road on anyone! Always a parking lot. We're still keeping an open mind about points west in VA, but the pricing for rent as opposed to buying is outrageously different. We could afford to buy in many places, but we can't do that anytime soon. Someone told me that from Brunswick you could hop on 267 and take that into the Dulles area. You could avoid the 270 route altogether. We're also considering Stafford, VA, so everything's up in the air, and all thoughts are appreciated! Thanks for your input!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM

148 posts, read 368,149 times
I had a coworker who moved from Frederick to Fairfax and she did the Fairfax-Frederick commute for about 8 months. She said it was pretty bad (an hour each way), and I'm sure it would be even worse going in the other direction. Most of the time, she took Rt. 15 to Leesburg and then whatever road to Fairfax, but if she was working really late (after 8pm), she would do 270 to the beltway instead.

If you do want to stay in Frederick County as opposed to something closer to Fairfax, then I think Brunswick or Point of Rocks would be better choices than Frederick itself. They are closer to Virginia and you can use the smaller roads to get to the Leesburg area. But the problem with the smaller roads is that they are 2 lanes (1 lane in each direction) so if you get stuck behind a RV or slow truck, there's often no where to pass. I've seen some rentals in those areas but I'm not sure of the prices.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Thanks for that insight! I do think it would end up being a nightmare commute. After all of the advice, I'm definitely leaning toward Brunswick/Point of Rocks if we end up in that direction. Checking out Stafford now, but I hear that's just as bad on 95. I remember it always being a parking lot out on 95. If only Leesburg were more affordable!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,498,870 times
If we're talking Fairfax City and environs?

Why not consider Front Royal or Warrenton?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM

I've heard that the commute from Front Royal on 66 is a nightmare. But...I guess all of the commutes will be nightmares! We are considering Warrenton, but I'm partial to Maryland and have lived near Brunswick before and loved it. I've only traveled through Warrenton and would need to see more of it. I think the commute would probably be similar.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM

461 posts, read 1,278,080 times
Where does the Dulles Toll Road dump you out? If you live in Point of Rocks, drive to Leesburg and get on the less clogged Toll Road, that may be an option. You will pay a lot in tolls but might be able to make that work.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,498,870 times
From Front Royal/Winchester
I-66 is only bad once you hit Gainesville, and the very worst is once you hit Route 50.

Winchester:
Not sure about the commute along 50, I'd imagine it ties up a little in Middleburg and then more once you hit Fairfax County.

7 won't be bad until you hit Route 28/Sterling.

From Frederick:
I understand I-270 is bad from Germantown on in and gets worse the further in you go. Then you've got the Beltway, but 66 won't be bad.

15 isn't bad except during PM rush (especially on Fridays) heading out of Leesburg. But then you take the Toll Road or 7 with traffic. Not good either.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 37,631 times
OP.. if you don't mind me asking, why are you leaving the Charleston Area? we are thinking of moving to the area from Frederick/Mount Airy. You can PM me if you like ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick