Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM

38 posts, read 89,622 times

Advertisements

What is life like in Martinsburg, WV. Considering a job there. I am willing to commute too.
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM

148 posts, read 369,860 times
You might want to post this in the West Virginia forum.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Ok

Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Not getting a lot of response from WV.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noofensmoke View Post
Not getting a lot of response from WV.
You can get some idea of the cost of living in Martinsburg, versus where you live now, with this tool: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Maybe people in Martinsburg don't like to communicate online.

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM

147 posts, read 292,970 times
What do you want to know, specifically? It's a small, historically working class city that has seen some people priced out of the immediate DC area move in over the last decade who buy the cheaper houses and make the (in my opinion) insane commute to MoCo/DC. Cost of living is going to be lower than the DC region (including Frederick County, as much as I hate to call it the DC area).

Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 AM

If I take the job it's 67K, can I live comfortably? What are the schools like, are there safe activities for kids after school, what is the weather like, conservative/liberal population, will my children be able to attend college nearby, churches? That is all I can think of right now.
Brad

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
If I take the job it's 67K, can I live comfortably?
Definitely. It's pretty cheap to live around there compared to the DC metro area.

Quote:
What are the schools like, are there safe activities for kids after school, what is the weather like, conservative/liberal population, will my children be able to attend college nearby, churches? That is all I can think of right now.
Quote:
Brad
Answering only the bolded, there's a very good college nearby:

Shepherd University

Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
what is the weather like, conservative/liberal population,
If you currently live in Iowa, you should have no trouble with the Martinsburg weather. There may be more snow, and the terrain is more hilly. Four-wheel drives might be needed. Summers are pretty hot and humid.

Facts available on City-data: //www.city-data.com/city/Martin...-Virginia.html

From the 2008 election, there was a strong Republican majority, so I'd say they lean conservative. Around Shepherdstown and the college, you might find some eco-consciousness and more liberals.

With your salary, you would be making substantially more than Martinsburg's average houshold income of about $34,000. I had half-way looked at Shepherdstown for retirement. There are some nice historic houses there, antique shops, and a couple nice restaurants.

There is a local community college, Blue Ridge. You would also be close to Hood College in Frederick, Shenandoah University in Winchester, VA, and several more community colleges in Maryland and Virginia.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
If I take the job it's 67K, can I live comfortably? What are the schools like, are there safe activities for kids after school, what is the weather like, conservative/liberal population, will my children be able to attend college nearby, churches? That is all I can think of right now.
Brad
$67k should be plenty for housing.

Schools are okay, but not so bad as to stop a family/student determined to learn. (Does that make sense?)

The city is sort of liberal but the rest of Berkeley county is overwhelmingly conservative, making for a county that is pretty reliably Republican.

Colleges - Shepherd is nearby. WVU is a few hours away. Your choices would probably be better on the VA side of the line though, somewhere north of Winchester.

Churches - plenty. What church are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick