Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM

324 posts, read 467,326 times

Advertisements

moved to frederick a little over a month ago and im not sure how to meet young professionals here. im 23 and i graduated college 1 year ago.

the bar scene here attracts a very different crowd than what im used to in northern va/DC and im feeling like i don't fit in here at all. any tips on meeting recent college crowds in town? or have they all flocked to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Hobbies? Activities?

Frederick has young professionals, but the vibe is rather different than DC since Frederick is a mid-sized town.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:47 PM

147 posts, read 292,761 times
I wish I could give you specific advice, but I've lived here my whole life so most of my friends are from school. Nearly all of my remaining friends are people I've met from the local music scene. If the bars aren't working out (have you tried all of them? there are more than a few), do what e30is suggests. What are you interested in? I know of people into the music scene, arts scene, political activism, etc. Not as big or as busy as DC but there are people around.

Other than your struggle to meet other young professionals, how has the move gone? Are you adjusting and enjoying what Frederick has to offer?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM

i love frederick itself. my commute to work is 10 minutes max. coming from northern va that is unbelievable. it's a really great town, and will be a lot better once i make some friends

i'm not the most outgoing guy so it will prob just take time. im trying to join an adult sports team or something.

what bars would you recommend for someone in my situation? seems like most places i go everyone is in a large group of people they already know

Last edited by r_u_a_wizard; 06-09-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM

147 posts, read 292,761 times
So glad to hear your move is working out. I'm sure you'll start meeting people soon. An adult sports team is a great idea. I know of soccer and flag football teams for adults in the Frederick Indoor Sports Center (~10 minute drive from downtown). I don't know much about the specifics of the bar scene (I'm 19). What kind of vibe do you prefer? Maybe try Cafe Nola, Cafe 611, Bentz Street Sports Bar, and Bushwaller's to name a few. Mirage is the hookah bar on Market and it's a very young crowd, but tends to lean towards the 18-21 year olds who have nowhere else to go downtown.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 AM

148 posts, read 369,643 times
Glad you're liking Frederick so far. In addition to what others have suggested, what about volunteering once a week or so for something you're interested in? That would introduce you to more people, perhaps some your age. Volunteer Match has some listings, but I know not all agencies advertise openings there, so think about what you like and look for a local nonprofit in that field. (sports, music, animals, politics, etc.) I think there are lots of young professionals here (I work with quite a few 20 somethings) so they're definitely around!

P.S. Maybe you'll find a different crowd at local coffee shops instead of the bars?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDogs View Post
Glad you're liking Frederick so far. In addition to what others have suggested, what about volunteering once a week or so for something you're interested in? That would introduce you to more people, perhaps some your age. Volunteer Match has some listings, but I know not all agencies advertise openings there, so think about what you like and look for a local nonprofit in that field. (sports, music, animals, politics, etc.) I think there are lots of young professionals here (I work with quite a few 20 somethings) so they're definitely around!

P.S. Maybe you'll find a different crowd at local coffee shops instead of the bars?
thanks for the tips.

i gotta be honest, im not the type who can just go up to people in a coffee shop and make friends. i'll figure something out though. volunteering is a great idea

Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM

166 posts, read 189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
thanks for the tips.

i gotta be honest, im not the type who can just go up to people in a coffee shop and make friends. i'll figure something out though. volunteering is a great idea
Probably your best bet would be to bet a job at Bechtel Power because that is the largest employer in the city of young people I would expect. Or figure out a way to meet Bechtel people b/c they will go to baseball games in Frederick and other social events like snow skiing.

The bad thing is a lot of younger people at Bechtel don't live in Frederick for family or cost of living and some just wanting to live closer to DC, and other reasons so it can be tough to find people to do stuff with consistently after work. Frederick has one of the nicest downtowns/parks of any town its size but the area is very transient feeling especially for a newcomer. I think people who like it there best grew up there.

There should be some outdoors hiking or mountainbiking kind of clubs there too if you like that stuff. Frederick is a great area for hiking.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
Probably your best bet would be to bet a job at Bechtel Power because that is the largest employer in the city of young people I would expect. Or figure out a way to meet Bechtel people b/c they will go to baseball games in Frederick and other social events like snow skiing.

The bad thing is a lot of younger people at Bechtel don't live in Frederick for family or cost of living and some just wanting to live closer to DC, and other reasons so it can be tough to find people to do stuff with consistently after work. Frederick has one of the nicest downtowns/parks of any town its size but the area is very transient feeling especially for a newcomer. I think people who like it there best grew up there.

There should be some outdoors hiking or mountainbiking kind of clubs there too if you like that stuff. Frederick is a great area for hiking.
it seems like all the younger ppl i've met from frederick either want to move to DC or have already moved to DC.

there are always a **** load of young people (especially couples) walking around downtown on the weekends, but i get the feeling they don't live here...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM

166 posts, read 189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
it seems like all the younger ppl i've met from frederick either want to move to DC or have already moved to DC.

there are always a **** load of young people (especially couples) walking around downtown on the weekends, but i get the feeling they don't live here...
I didn't know many people at Bechtel who wanted to be closer to DC b/c you pay a steep price for that. Most would stay in Frederick or points west, even in WV and PA, and then go to DC on the weekends.

It is a hard place to meet people, it is a transient area despite looking like the ideal small town. Lot of those people are probably from Hagerstown and other smaller towns around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick