Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,213 times

Advertisements

Finally just got confirmation our corporate relocation is happening. Work is in Gaithersburg. We live close enough (Philly western suburbs) to have made several weekend trips down over the past year to check out different areas in Montgomery and Frederick Co.

We have virtually decided on Frederick on our own, without the advice of a realtor since we didn't have access to those services before the job offer. So it was based on driving around to feel out different areas and reviewing online real estate listings.

We decided our first choice would be to build a single family at Linton at Ballenger. Not crazy about how on top of each other the homes are but I guess this is pretty standard with new construction, and we are trying to stay on the south side of Frederick due to southbound commute. My current commute is 45-60 min, so I'm used to that (but really don't want to be any longer). I feel like this commute would be similar but I'm still skeptical and now that the time to jump has come I'm hoping we're not overlooking something better suited our needs?

We focused on Frederick mainly because I don't think we can afford anything I would like in MontCo. Prefer new (or newer) homes in nice, upscale suburban neighborhoods. Don't want to spend more than 550k max. I'm not opposed to townhouses (we live in one now) but ours is very un-townhouse like with a front porch, yard, attached garage, wooded back and a park in front. Typical MontCo townhouses (and Frederick ones too, like Urbana) are nothing like this and just not our thing. And I don't think upscale newer construction single family is possible in our price range. Townhouse wise, Wormans Mill is nice, but seems like that commute to the other side of Frederick puts the commute over an hour and therefore over my limit, plus we priced out our ideal house in Wormans vs. Linton and the price cam out the exact same, but Frederick city taxes are $300/month more! Hard to justify that.

The areas around Gaithersburg are also a little too urban for me. I can never tell what area is nice and what isn't. It seems to change from block to block.

I recently saw a few listings I liked in Clarksburg, but we haven't actually visited so don't know if I'd like the area. I've read mixed things about it - complaints about it being cookie cutter (like Urbana) and traffic may be an issue? Also I think there is an extra infrastructure tax? (Strange to me, PA doesn't have such things.)

Are we overlooking any other areas closer to GB than Frederick with what we're looking for? No kids, so schools are not an issue per se, but from a resale perspective wouldn't want to buy somewhere with bad schools. DH is planning to retire when we move so commute is not an issue for him. Would like to be reasonably close to shopping.

So is Linton at Ballenger probably the best choice like it seems, or is there anywhere else we should look before signing on the dotted line? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellg85 View Post
I recently saw a few listings I liked in Clarksburg, but we haven't actually visited so don't know if I'd like the area. I've read mixed things about it - complaints about it being cookie cutter (like Urbana) and traffic may be an issue? Also I think there is an extra infrastructure tax? (Strange to me, PA doesn't have such things.)

Are we overlooking any other areas closer to GB than Frederick with what we're looking for? No kids, so schools are not an issue per se, but from a resale perspective wouldn't want to buy somewhere with bad schools. DH is planning to retire when we move so commute is not an issue for him. Would like to be reasonably close to shopping.

So is Linton at Ballenger probably the best choice like it seems, or is there anywhere else we should look before signing on the dotted line? Thanks!
If it were my commute, I would prioritize a shorter commute over a new house, but it is your life. I have seen some attractive older homes in Adamstown (MoCo). I would have also looked for 20-year old homes in Clarksburg, as I think they are nicer than the packed-together neo-traditional ones. If you must have new construction, I would have looked at the neo-traditional communities by Ryan and Beazer in Clarksburg.

I am not sure what the infrastructure tax is, but you would probably have to pay the "front-footage" fee spread over 15 years for the water and sewer connections.

A few other considerations include whether the other spouse will need to look for work, and whether she would have better prospects in Gaithersburg.

I looked briefly at the Drees homes website at Linton at Ballenger, and you are correct, that you would not get that much space and that much lot in MoCo for the price. I think you will be fine and houses in commuting distant to the DC Metro area will continue to be a good investment.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-09-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Here's a commute tip from a 30 year veteran - Identify the alternative routes to your job and bail-out points on I-270. Then listen to the WTOP traffic report before you leave the house in the morning. We used to have it set on the clock radio.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:52 PM

148 posts, read 369,813 times
One of my coworkers recently bought a townhouse in the Linton development and really likes it. It's on the edge of the Ballenger Creek area but still convenient to interstates, shopping, recreation, etc. I agree that a southern Frederick location would be better than something like Worman's Mill, though that's a lovely community, too.

I don't know much about Clarksburg, but have you also looked at Adamstown (actually it is in Frederick County) and Point of Rocks? I know they both have new developments of nice single family homes in your price range, but I don't know if they'd be closer than being in Frederick. With Point of Rocks, and perhaps with Adamstown, too, you'd take Rt. 28 to Gaithersburg which may or may not be faster than 270.

And I agree with setting your radio to WTOP. Traffic and weather together on the 8's.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDogs View Post
I don't know much about Clarksburg, but have you also looked at Adamstown (actually it is in Frederick County) and Point of Rocks?
The advantage of Adamstown is much larger lots. There were several listings with a half-acre or larger lots in the OP's price range. There is nothing wrong with Frederick, and it has more shopping, restaurants and such than Adamstown.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny97 View Post
Does Adamstown have ANY shopping and restaurants?
It looks limited and I remember a very rural area. One restaurant 3.4 miles from the center of Adamstown, and the grocery stores are in Frederick.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Looking at Streetview in Google Maps there is a 'quickie mart' (Stups Market) that also has a couple gas pumps and a Sub &Pizza Place across the road in what looks like an old bank.

Folks - All I did was go to Google Maps and type in Adamstown MD then zoom in and use streetview. I think it took me longer to type up this message!

Adamstown is one of those old crossroad/Railroad stop towns that kind of stagnated once people could easily drive the 3-4 miles up Buckeystown Pike (Rt 85) to the shopping area around FSK Mall. Then the farmers strated selling land for development and the houses blossomed up.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 PM

147 posts, read 292,932 times
Yeah, to add what the others have said, Adamstown has a very small old-town area with some really nice old houses, Stup's Market (gas/convenience store), and a pizza/sub place. Otherwise, it's just urban sprawl at its finest, although it is admittedly more visually appealing than a lot of suburban sprawl areas. 10-15 minute drive from plenty of shopping/dining. If you like a more rural feel and slower pace, it's not a bad choice, especially if you're commuting to Mo. Co. since you can use 28. Schools are very good in this feeder pattern as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
goldenage1 is 100% spot on. I live in Frederick. Not far from the Linton actually within walking distance at Wellington Trace. I commute every day to Gaithersburg. Traffic on 270 can be a pain and if i see it becoming a problem I just jump off at Urbana or Hyattstown and take 355 N. Frederick road to Gaithersburg. Its about a good hour commute but it would take that much or longer on 270 on a bad day. I find I take it even without heavy traffic and I do the reverse coming home at the end of the day taking 355 and avoiding the Gaithersburg traffic on 270 and then getting on 270 at Hyattstown bypassing a majority of the traffic.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonsFinest View Post
../..if i see it becoming a problem I just jump off at Urbana or Hyattstown and take 355 N. Frederick road to Gaithersburg.
Surprised nobody has mentioned Urbana as an option. Much better commute with alternatives. Use caution with Adamstown, there's an old aluminum plant and some contamination issues. You're probably o.k if you're on city water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick