Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,821 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm sorry, this is another post about moving to the Frederick area. My husband is looking at a wide range sales job that covers Frederick and westminster and some west (I have family in Philadelphia so I don't want to go much more west than Frederick) and I am a nurse, applying all over. We have 2 small children. We plan to rent for a few months (at least) up to a year before buying.

My main priority is a good, safe, fun neighborhood for my kids (close to a park, sidewalk is a bonus) but I also am very anxious to get my son into a good preschool. He went to Montessori last year and we adored it. My younger son is just over a year so we are likely looking at daycare if he's too young (our montessori in NY will take infants on up)

Ideally, we will find a neighborhood that meets the following:
- good school district
- close to parks / bike paths / outdoor activities
- bonus if there is a great gym (pool and good yoga) nearby
- community 'spirit'

We have heard a variety of places to consider, the list is endless and overwhelming. Mt. Airy, Frederick, Ijamsville, Eldersburg, Sykesville, Westminster, Hampstead, and so on and so on. Suggestions on Frederick and immediate areas or any of the towns above? Also, recommendations for health clubs and PreK schools greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Price range for housing always helps in these discussions. Even in the smallish geographic area you described, the prices can vary considerably.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Ok, thanks. Since we're looking to rent first, we're hoping to keep it under 1500 a month.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
I think that budget works pretty well in the places you describe. You are going to find a more suburban atmosphere in places like Sykesville, or the outskirts of Frederick. The historic core of Frederick is a combination of natives and gentrification and is an urban-lite environment. The other places are smallish towns that while having new residents, are probably best defined as being fairly traditional.

My direct experience with these places is fading as time goes on. I lived in Westminster about 14 years ago. Frederick about 8 years ago, and my wife grew up in what her family called "Ijamsville" then, but really is more a part of greater Urbana these days.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 17,038 times
There are a lot of great areas in Frederick County. If you want more small town feel Middletown and Ijamsville/New Market are very nice towns with great schools. If you want closer to Downtown Frederick and box stores/mall its kind of a neighborhood by neighborhood call. Renting first is a good idea- that way you can get to know the different areas and also find out where you will be working first. If you will be commuting to Baltimore or DC thee will be some areas that will be better as far as commute. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 17,038 times
One more thing-- there are lots of great preschools in Frederick county. There is a wide range of themes, prices, locations. Depending on what you are looking for in a preschool I am sure you will fined one to fit your needs.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the input! We need to rent quickly as my husband starts in two weeks. Getting excited...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick