Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 160,438 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you would be happier downtown for several reasons - the home styles, the charm, and the proximity to restaurants and shops. When I say downtown, I mean the Baker Park area too; though they are technically different.

Frederick County Workforce Services has tons of free, high-quality services for job seekers - Home - Frederick County Workforce Services. Your dad would do well to check it out.

Have a great visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM

33 posts, read 66,596 times
Yeah, I think the house on Degrange is about 1000 sqft., but we're also really hoping to downsize as well so hopefully that will appeal to us. I looked on a map and see the homeless shelter you're talking about. We'll have to just scope the area out.

I'll be sure to have my dad check that website out too. I really think we're prefer downtown as well. Especially since we'll be new to the area and want to make some friends.

Thanks everyone for your great responses! We'll see how it goes this weekend!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 AM

44 posts, read 71,812 times
I hope you are enjoying your visit! I agree with all those who say you would prefer downtown Frederick. It really is the only walk-able area. There are plenty of rentals available, and you will find one with a yard - even if it is not this weekend. It is very dog friendly, many downtown shop owners even put water bowls out so your pooch will always be comfortable (restaurants will seat outdoor diners with their dog).

Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM

33 posts, read 66,596 times
Hi everyone! Thanks for being so informative, but I think Frederick isn't going to be a good fit for us. We loved the downtown during the day, but had terrible experiences both nights trying to sample the bars. Friday, 2-3 girls were arrested in front of the hookah bar, and the one tried running. And Saturday, we sat down at Wags for a lager, and a much older drunk woman next to us at the bar become belligerent towards my fiance and started randomly screaming at him and banging the bar. She kept yelling, "Frederick Maryland! I'm sick of it!!!", over.. and over... and over... and "Shut the F**k up!", to her friend trying to calm her down until the owner called the cops on her and kicked her out. Then, he preceded to tell us about 2 weeks ago, him and his friend heard 3 gunshots on the Market St. at 3 am, and something rickashayed from the ground and hit his friend. And also, that some woman stabbed a man to death about 3 weeks earlier downtown because he hit her sister.

The shops are adorable, we really loved what we saw. And Carroll Creek is as well. I feel like Frederick is going through gentrification still, but it's not there yet. Maybe in 10 years.

This was meant as no offense to anyone living there, I just was so amazed at our experience, based on all the people I've talked about it to. I even have 2 friends that live there, and another that visits frequently and they all love it.

During the day, it's great! Once it's night time... not so much. It's not even the city itself, either, it's just a few bad apples that ruin it.

Thanks everyone again for the help. We really did appreciate it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
i think you are going to have those kinds of thing happen in every city.

I'm not sure wha tyou mean by gentrification but Frederick has one of the nicest downtowns in the country.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 PM

324 posts, read 467,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyp61 View Post
Hi everyone! Thanks for being so informative, but I think Frederick isn't going to be a good fit for us. We loved the downtown during the day, but had terrible experiences both nights trying to sample the bars. Friday, 2-3 girls were arrested in front of the hookah bar, and the one tried running. And Saturday, we sat down at Wags for a lager, and a much older drunk woman next to us at the bar become belligerent towards my fiance and started randomly screaming at him and banging the bar. She kept yelling, "Frederick Maryland! I'm sick of it!!!", over.. and over... and over... and "Shut the F**k up!", to her friend trying to calm her down until the owner called the cops on her and kicked her out. Then, he preceded to tell us about 2 weeks ago, him and his friend heard 3 gunshots on the Market St. at 3 am, and something rickashayed from the ground and hit his friend. And also, that some woman stabbed a man to death about 3 weeks earlier downtown because he hit her sister.

The shops are adorable, we really loved what we saw. And Carroll Creek is as well. I feel like Frederick is going through gentrification still, but it's not there yet. Maybe in 10 years.

This was meant as no offense to anyone living there, I just was so amazed at our experience, based on all the people I've talked about it to. I even have 2 friends that live there, and another that visits frequently and they all love it.

During the day, it's great! Once it's night time... not so much. It's not even the city itself, either, it's just a few bad apples that ruin it.

Thanks everyone again for the help. We really did appreciate it.
Haha wow. I lived in downtown Frederick for over a year. It wasn't for me, but never saw anything like that!

My issue was that it was too small and sleepy for a single 24 year old... Sounds like things got wild after I left. I never felt unsafe there

Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 AM

44 posts, read 71,812 times
You definitely had an off weekend. That said, drinking is a (the) very popular past-time in Frederick. I lived in DC, so I've seen neighborhoods good and bad, and it sounds like you really got weird unlucky.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:00 PM

299 posts, read 557,018 times
Wow... Yeah, I have to second that. What I've seen in downtown Frederick at night is just the typical random bit of crime that any city its size will have. (You hear the occasional sirens and see the police car racing down a side street someplace, or maybe see that one drunk guy on the corner yelling random stuff.) But all in all, a nice downtown area and one I feel much safer parking my car in than anyplace near open bars or restaurants at night in St. Louis or Kansas City, Missouri. (Born and raised St. Louisan here, hence that comparison.)

I actually have a hobby of listening to my police scanner sometimes on weekend nights, when I'm not out doing something myself. And to be honest, it's usually so quiet, it gets a little boring. IMO, if the crime you see in Frederick at night is more than you're comfortable with? You need to look at more rural areas with smaller populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick