Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, so much for my theory. I'm at a loss. Is there something about Calvert that attracts more conservative types?

Maybe it has to do with density. Much of the growth in Frederick is around Urbana and Frederick City, both of which are fairly dense. Maybe that attracts Montgomery County left-wingers who still want some of the conveniences of urbanity, but cheaper prices.
I don't know. The joke used to be that people who were lifelong Democrats became instant Republicans when they crossed the Patuxent River on RTE 4.

As far as more urban conveniences, they still ***** and moan about the lack of shoppes and whatnot compared to back where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know. The joke used to be that people who were lifelong Democrats became instant Republicans when they crossed the Patuxent River on RTE 4.

As far as more urban conveniences, they still ***** and moan about the lack of shoppes and whatnot compared to back where they came from.
Sounds like Harford County. IMO, just a bunch of RINO voters.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Sounds like Harford County. IMO, just a bunch of RINO voters.
Lol, if you've figured out what it means to be a Republican these days, please let me know! From what I see, the lion killed the elephant and is gorging on its carcass while the donkey is still baffled why people call it an ass.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Lol, if you've figured out what it means to be a Republican these days, please let me know! From what I see, the lion killed the elephant and is gorging on its carcass while the donkey is still baffled why people call it an ass.
That's good. I'm going to steal it and make it my own.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 AM

16 posts, read 28,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanbuena View Post
Hi All,

We are moving to Frederick this summer from Denver, Colorado. I was curious if the city of Frederick leans a certain way in terms of politics. My husband is originally from Gaithersburg and said when he was living in Maryland, Frederick was nicknamed "Fred-neck" and was overall pretty conservative. I am aware that the city has grown exponentially since he lived there ~7 years ago, so I was curious if the boom has made it a little more left leaning or moderate? I know the county as a whole is probably still quite red with all of the farms, so I am just asking about the residential neighborhoods.

We, of course, do not need to live in a blue bubble like Denver. I am simply curious how much of a shock we are in for coming from a city like ours. We are an interracial couple with a mixed daughter, but I'm assuming even if it's still on the conservative side that that wont be an issue (right??).

Thanks!
As someone in an interracial relationship, I have never felt uncomfortable, or like I was in a place that was held up on issues like that. I'm sure there are still people out there in the general area that disapprove, but I think greater Frederick is itself a melting pot of different folks "living the dream!"

Old 02-10-2017, 01:38 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,702 times
Quote:
That is a legendary quote.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Hi All,

We are moving to Frederick this summer from Denver, Colorado. I was curious if the city of Frederick leans a certain way in terms of politics. My husband is originally from Gaithersburg and said when he was living in Maryland, Frederick was nicknamed "Fred-neck" and was overall pretty conservative. I am aware that the city has grown exponentially since he lived there ~7 years ago, so I was curious if the boom has made it a little more left leaning or moderate? I know the county as a whole is probably still quite red with all of the farms, so I am just asking about the residential neighborhoods.

We, of course, do not need to live in a blue bubble like Denver. I am simply curious how much of a shock we are in for coming from a city like ours. We are an interracial couple with a mixed daughter, but I'm assuming even if it's still on the conservative side that that wont be an issue (right??).

Thanks!

I moved from Boulder to Baker Park, a nicer park of the City of Frederick. I feel right at home, in fact more at home as the people are much more normal and nicer than most of the people I came in contact with during my six years in Boulder. The city of Frederick is getting cooler by the month and the downtown area puts Pearl Street to shame. I love living here. Also there is much more diversity here than in Denver, which is kind of a joke as there is almost no diversity in Colorado. An interracial couple bought a house two houses down from ours and I am glad to have them in the neighborhood although they haven't moved in yet.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:22 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
As an interracial couple I would be a bit concerned to move to Frederick County. I grew up in Frederick County (specifically Middletown, MD). We (my parents) moved from Middletown, MD to Frederick County (Ft. Detrick area) during my Junior/Senior year of HS. I left Frederick County in 2000. Both my father/mother identify as minorities and are interracially married.

It was not uncommon for my parents to get the typical darting stares, general discrimination at restaurants and microaggression. I also learned while in H.S. that I was either a "sand ******", "camel Jockey", "sadam" or some other discriminatory term used to label me.

My parents still live in Frederick, County and I visit them occassional but the best part of visiting Frederick is seeing it in my rear-view mirror on the way home!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM

299 posts, read 556,833 times
I'm in an interracial marriage myself and live in Frederick County, and if anything? I see a lot of other interracial couples out and about, and don't feel like it's really ever been an issue for us.

To be honest? Every time I've heard mention of potential issues, it's been referring to Middletown or out in Thurmont. We've been to Middletown several times for meals at the Main Cup restaurant and always felt welcome -- but I'm guessing the problems are happening more in the area schools.

When it comes to politics? Frederick is definitely evolving a bit as it gets built up. I don't see how anyone could visit downtown Frederick these days and not get the "vibe" that if anything, it's full of trendy, liberal hipster types more than hard right conservatives? What I've actually run into a lot in Frederick County is a strong contingent of Independent voters. (I'm Libertarian myself, so this makes me very happy!) The owner of Flying Dog brewery in Frederick is very Libertarian, for example.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
I'm in an interracial marriage myself and live in Frederick County, and if anything? I see a lot of other interracial couples out and about, and don't feel like it's really ever been an issue for us.

To be honest? Every time I've heard mention of potential issues, it's been referring to Middletown or out in Thurmont. We've been to Middletown several times for meals at the Main Cup restaurant and always felt welcome -- but I'm guessing the problems are happening more in the area schools.

When it comes to politics? Frederick is definitely evolving a bit as it gets built up. I don't see how anyone could visit downtown Frederick these days and not get the "vibe" that if anything, it's full of trendy, liberal hipster types more than hard right conservatives? What I've actually run into a lot in Frederick County is a strong contingent of Independent voters. (I'm Libertarian myself, so this makes me very happy!) The owner of Flying Dog brewery in Frederick is very Libertarian, for example.
Hard for me to believe uppity Middletown can be that racist. Ignorance perhaps, but it is a pretty well off community. That said, everyone's experience is unique and I wasn't there.

Thurmont? Um........no, I would not recommend that community to an interracial couple, unless they didn't mind being on the vanguard of demographic and social change. I doubt you would have problems visiting, dining out etc., but it is a community where the school teachers as recently as 9 years ago still had conversations like "Oh, XXXX is in your class? She is the grand wizard's granddaughter," and it wasn't a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick