Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 649 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

i hope somebody can help me.
i work for a family owned business that has just 5 people in total.
i know by Maryland law i have no rights on vacation, sick days or even paid vacation.
however, my bosses are really nice and give me one day paid vacation, but here it starts:

every time i ask for more (a day here or there) and i mean unpaid, they say we can talk about it.
nothing happens, don't get me wrong they treat me like family, but when it comes to take off it is a big drama.
like they need me there all the time.
it is nice to be needed, but they have that business for 25 years.
i work there now 3 years. so they did fine without me, why is it so hard to give time off?

so my question is...
how can i bring it up again without getting put in my corner?
i like working there, but no sick days, no security at all is not what i want to do the next years.
im already 41 and now 3.5 years in the us.
does anybody has good advise.
and sorry if i have some errors in my writing im still working on these skills.

TIA
German
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
This probably isn't the right forum for this question. But - Without knowing the business (Meaning the type of business) it may come down to when you ask for it. Do the owners take vacation? when do they do it? When you say vacation do you mean a day off here or there or multiple days to take a trip? Also without having any benefits are you able to put away any savings for retirement, emergencies, etc. I assume you are hourly, and I hope they are taking out taxes social security, etc.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN77 View Post
Hi there,

i hope somebody can help me.
i work for a family owned business that has just 5 people in total.
i know by Maryland law i have no rights on vacation, sick days or even paid vacation.
however, my bosses are really nice and give me one day paid vacation, but here it starts:

every time i ask for more (a day here or there) and i mean unpaid, they say we can talk about it.
nothing happens, don't get me wrong they treat me like family, but when it comes to take off it is a big drama.
like they need me there all the time.
it is nice to be needed, but they have that business for 25 years.
i work there now 3 years. so they did fine without me, why is it so hard to give time off?

so my question is...
how can i bring it up again without getting put in my corner?
i like working there, but no sick days, no security at all is not what i want to do the next years.
im already 41 and now 3.5 years in the us.
does anybody has good advise.
and sorry if i have some errors in my writing im still working on these skills.

TIA
German
Hi German,

I think you will have more luck posting this in the Employment forum here on City-data. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick