Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,071,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkybrown View Post
Thanks again. As for groceries, it's not so much organic produce I am looking for, it's vegan foods like Tofurkey and Daiya, that type of meat and cheese substitute. I can find it at Whole Foods in Texas, but not other places. I guess I'll find out soon!

I asked about Amazon specifically because my friend in Mississippi, where she lives, doesn't even get Amazon Prime delivery!

I thought of another question. Can anyone recommend a family practice doctor that takes Blue Cross? And a good dentist (insurance doesn't matter there).

Since my doctor is retiring soon I may be looking for one so I can't recommend anyone there. Dr. Jeffery Cross has been our dentist for years and I will wholeheartedly recommend him.
https://www.crossdentistry.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 AM

148 posts, read 369,365 times
Welcome to Frederick! I hope you like it! A few answers:

1) Yes to 2 day Prime shipping. As someone else said, sometimes they come in one day, but usually 2.

2) I've used Opossum Pike Vet (https://www.opossumpikevet.com/) since 2003 for my dogs. They have good hours, including evenings and Saturday morrnings, and because they have 4 doctors I can usually get in to see someone quickly. It's not the newest, fanciest building, but I feel the medical care is great. They also offer emergency visits for current patients in off-hours for something that can't wait until the next day. For a dedicated emergency vet, the CARE vet on Rt. 40 at Hillcrest is open and staffed around the clock. Unfortunately I've had to use this in recent months, and although it was expensive, I felt the vets there did provide competent and compassionate service. I think there's a new "urgent" care vet on Prospect Blvd. at Jefferson Street, but it's only open until like midnight, I believe. There are other emergency vets in Gaithersburg and Leesburg, both of which are around 30-40 minutes (or more, depending on traffic). Also, I agree with the person who recommended Frederick Cat Vet for cats. Frederick Cat Vet, Feline-Exclusive Veterinarian, Frederick, Maryland They've been great with my cats.

3) You'll find vegan foods everywhere, pretty much. I've been vegetarian for many years and have had no problem finding anything. I know vegan is more difficult, but many restaurants offer at least an option or two. Several restaurants downtown feature vegan cuisine. The Orchard is one of my favorites, so definitely check that out. All grocery stores carry vegan cheese and meat substitutes. The Common Market, Mom's, and Wegmans will have the greatest selection, but even more general stores like Weis or Giant have vegan staples.

7) My parents live in Williamsport so I go that way often. Traffic won't be so bad unless there's an accident, as you'll be going away from traffic. I don't see how it would be that congested on that small stretch of Rt. 15... if you get on at 40 it's the 2nd exit. If you did want to avoid Rt. 15 in the morning, you could take Rt. 40 and just get on 70 just past the McDonalds in west Frederick... might add a couple minutes with the lights... but just check the traffic before you head out to decide.

I have Carefirst Blue Cross, and I've been using Frederick Primary Care Associates, the Ballenger Creek office. The practice has a lot of physicians/PA's/NP's so it's pretty easy to get appointments. Also, they have weekend and evening hours so you can go there instead of to an urgent care, although their hours are more limited.

Also, if you're looking for a great place to buy dog and cat food, I recommend Central Dawgma, on East Patrick Street in the shopping center with Roy Rogers, across from Sheetz. http://www.centraldawgma.com/ They carry a great selection of quality food and treats, and they're helpful if you have questions.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,632,816 times
X2 on Central Dawgma for foods. They also have a large doggy wash facility if you should need that.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:21 PM

52 posts, read 67,518 times
Also can someone recommend radio stations? I like indie/alternative rock the most, and classic rock next. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,632,816 times
Quote:
Also can someone recommend radio stations? I like indie/alternative rock the most, and classic rock next. Thank you.
Classic rock, 106.9, not sure about the other.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Any recommendations for gyms? I was going to buy a home elliptical but I don't think my basement ceiling is high enough.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations for gyms? I was going to buy a home elliptical but I don't think my basement ceiling is high enough.

Planet Fitness on the Golden Mile next to Aldi.
https://www.planetfitness.com/gyms/frederick-md

Old 10-13-2018, 04:05 PM

16,229 posts, read 10,367,892 times
I think you will really like Frederick, it's a great town that is just the right size. You really don't need to go all the way to DC to find good restaurants, we are heading to The Wine Kitchen for our anniversary dinner tonight as this is one our favorite restaurants. Frederick, Montgomery County or even Baltimore (45 minutes) and everywhere in between offer tons of options.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 PM

I was pretty shocked on arrival to note that you can't buy beer/wine in the grocery stores! I have been looking for a large store to buy hard cider, in Texas we had liquor superstores with several aisles of just ciders! But I haven't found anything remotely comparable here, most liquor stores I have found are little larger than convenience stores. Any recommendations? Thanks

Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I was pretty shocked on arrival to note that you can't buy beer/wine in the grocery stores! I have been looking for a large store to buy hard cider, in Texas we had liquor superstores with several aisles of just ciders! But I haven't found anything remotely comparable here, most liquor stores I have found are little larger than convenience stores. Any recommendations? Thanks

No liquor superstores in Maryland. Trouts liquors on Alt 40 just pass I-70 is probably the biggest in the area. That is just out Rt 40 to the split just past Boscovs (I used to say Toys R Us but that is shuttered then I thought about the VFW Golf course but that has been destroyed for the New development) There are some Hard Cider producers in the area that let you get it right at the source

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Tro...41!2d39.423321
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick