Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,316,343 times

Advertisements

Hello, All.

I have searched up some info on this forum regarding Frederick but I have some further questions and pleas for advice/opinions if I may.

I am going to be putting in for a job in Frederick with the Frederick County Library system. The job itself looks like it would be great. I also like the location of Frederick--close to some rural and outdoors beauty and activities while also close to DC and Baltimore for museums, etc.

My main concern is that Frederick and Washington counties are now overpriced and overgrown due to spillover from DC. Too, I have two elementary-aged children so the crowded school, congestion and talk of gang-related crime is a bit off-putting.

Ideally, we would live in a smaller town outside of Frederick, perhaps enough off a main highway to be a bit more secluded.

But again, my concern will be that the rural property and small towns will be out of our price range. I am assuming that many people from the larger cities have bought up second homes, etc. in those areas.

Are there any less expensive, smaller towns within commuting distance from Frederick that might be affordable and a good place for a family?

I will be searching realtor.com via zip codes to see potential available homes, but we would likely rent first for a few months, so I am also curious as to whether there is a supply of rental properties in the region.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated. I am applying for this position from out-of-state so I'm not sure what my chances are. Please wish me luck! Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 79,823 times
I've lived in Hagerstown for almost 3 years, was just north of Frederick City (area known as Yellow Springs/Mountaindale) for 6 years before that. Housing prices in Frederick & Washington counties are outrageous, no doubt about it. If it helps any they've come down a bit since we moved to Hagerstown, but single family homes in nice areas are still out of reach for many.

Here's a link to a major property management company in Frederick Co.
http://www.pmpbiz.com/?page=rplistings

Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,739,786 times
I don't think many of the people from DC have bought second homes in Frederick. Not much reason to do that. Certainly, Frederick has increased in home value just as has everywhere else but it's still quite a bit lower than closer in! What's your tolerance for rural life? You can get VERY rural just a few miles outside of Frederick. I live in Carroll County east of Frederick County and basically everthing between my house and Frederick is considered hickville by the city folks! A lot of the homes in the rural secluded settings will be quite old, some 100+ years. Anyways, here are my recommendations to look into if you want smaller town life:

Libertytown
Thurmont
Emmitsburg
Woodsboro
Union Bridge (Carroll County, 20-30 minute commute)
New Windsor (Carroll County, 20-30 minute commute)

None of these towns have anything approaching gang related activity. Also, IMO Frederick's congestion problems aren't really that bad relative to other areas around here. I've often driven through town during peak weekend hours. I think most of the congestion concerns are really coming from commuters who have to use I-70 and I-15 to get through town to get to work in DC or Baltimore. Also, getting around Frederick takes some getting used to as it isn't always straightforward but that's Maryland all over. As for the "gang related activity", as I've said in another thread, I don't ever see it. I have NO issues walking through most any place in Frederick at night. We moved here from Arkansas 6 years ago and love where we live. We're close enough to the city that if we can get there fairly quickly but not so close that we really have to worry about the city's problems. Rural Maryland is really a lot like home with friendly people and a similar landscape to what we're used to. I would highly recommend some serious consideration of moving here. So good luck with your job search!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 79,823 times
Seconding everything that Stormcrow73 said! All of those towns would be great places to raise children and not too far to commute from Frederick. Pricing may be a concern but only you know what you can afford, eh? And DC people aren't buying second homes in Frederick/Washington counties, those are people commuting south from their primary residence! DC people buy second homes at the beach or down Skyline Drive, not central MD.

Frederick traffic has increased tremendously since we moved up from Northern Virginia 11 years ago. The congestion is mostly because the commuter routes run through the city. Its nothing compared to the closer in suburbs though.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 59,005 times
I agree with all of the above locations. However, I'm not sure what your housing budget is. My sister wanted to relocate here and all of the areas above were still out of her reach. Maybe, look into living in West Virginia. It's really not that far from Frederick and still reasonably priced. I was advised by a realtor that homedatabase.com is the best search engine for this area for finding a home to rent or buy. Not only that but it includes Wv and Pa areas. The realtor stated that realtor.com is at times outdated and that homedatabase had the most current info. Hope that helps

Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 PM

186 posts, read 548,278 times
I used to live in Falling Waters WV and work in Frederick. The cost of homes went sky high. Live in WV if you can make that drive. Buy a car with good gas millage. traffic starts to get crazy around the Frederick area on the interstate for rush hour. I seen I70 backed up for 20 miles (when the missiles were spilled on the road a few years ago). That took me over 4 hours to get home. I sold my 1200sqft home in WV for $250,000 to a couple that works in DC thats crazy to drive. go to homedatabase check out Falling waters, or charelstown. hope this helps some.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM

97 posts, read 432,210 times
This web site is pretty good. You can go to map view and look property up, I always liked that. http://www.longandfoster.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick