Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 9,506 times

Advertisements

I moved to Frederick a few months ago and it's time to get my vehicle registration take care of.

My car isn't new by any means, but I take good care of it and I think it's in pretty good condition. I went to a shop down the street from me (rosemont service station) to have the $80 inspection done. I failed on 6 points, most of which I feel are VERY minor (tag light out, sticker on the windshield, "leaking" muffler). One of the points failed was my steering wheel, because I have a cover on it. I put the cover on there because the leather has started to flake off and a section of the metal frame is exposed. Apparently, a cover and a damaged steering wheel will both fail you (replacing the steering wheel will cost over $300 according to a mechanic friend of mine).

Basically, I need to find a "more lenient" state inspector. God knows there are cars in worse condition than mine driving down the streets every day (which in itself makes me question the point of having a one-time inspection - if you're not going to follow up, wtf is the point of having one to begin with?). I don't plan on keeping this car for more than a year anyways, and I don't want to dump $1000 into meaningless repairs that serve only to pad the pockets of the mechanics.

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:21 AM

941 posts, read 3,893,104 times
Good luck...this state is probably more strict on safety inspections than California's smog laws!

Replace the light bulb yourself and remove sticker. The muffler sounds like a valid point. No idea on the steering wheel, but sounds like a gray area.

Tips to find a lenient one: Find a shop with tires piled up in the back, oil puddles on all the bays, and an inspector in need of some serious dental work.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

924 posts, read 2,593,640 times
The MD state inspection is meant to be a safety inspection... The steering wheel cover is ridiculous... I have seen cars pass with things much worse than that...

You will absolutely be able to find a shop to let you slide on the steering wheel... I would say you have an ok chance on the muffler and no chance on the tag light and the sticker...

I sold a car to a guy with no muffler and it passed... (Not like ghetto no muffler, it had been replaced with straight pipe, and there was still a resonator up front...)

Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM

27 posts, read 109,721 times
If you find a fair and honest inspection station in Frederick please let me know. We moved here 2 weeks ago and all I am reading on the internet about the Maryland state inspection is absolute horror stories!

My uncle used to work at a car lot here in Maryland and he told me to try a place called Roche's Auto in Libertytown. I say it can't hurt to have a second opinion on your car. Another person on this forum told me to try Veirs Auto Repair on E. Patrick St.

I've seen cars in horrible shape driving around, so I don't understand how they are passing inspection when people who take care of their cars are not, and the price of an inspection here is insane.

How are you enjoying Frederick so far?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM

941 posts, read 3,893,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnlajoie View Post
I've seen cars in horrible shape driving around, so I don't understand how they are passing inspection when people who take care of their cars are not, and the price of an inspection here is insane.
The MD safety inspection is an ONE time only deal when you are registering your car in MD. After it passes, you are free to do what you please.

This doesn't apply if you are passing down an used car down your family line (i.e. father to son). Anything 20 years and older is eligible for historic plates, which does not require safety nor emissions.

Also, if you 'grease' the inspector's hand when you shake him, you might get away with little things...

Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,978,876 times
MD inspection is a pain. If I was planning on moving here, I'd just sell whatever I have and buy a used car in MD. It's a one-time deal, then you never have to bother with it again. Even if you move out-of-state and move back, you won't need a re-inspection. I actually bought my used Buick in VA, but insisted the dealer provide me with a MD inspection. They took it to MD and it was back the next day, as requested.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
MD inspection is a pain. If I was planning on moving here, I'd just sell whatever I have and buy a used car in MD. It's a one-time deal, then you never have to bother with it again. Even if you move out-of-state and move back, you won't need a re-inspection. I actually bought my used Buick in VA, but insisted the dealer provide me with a MD inspection. They took it to MD and it was back the next day, as requested.
I'm going to reiterate that I had no problems whatsoever getting 4 different cars inspected... One was a car with 175,000 miles on it, one was a twin turbo Z28 camaro... They required that the camaro's tint be taken off and that a catalytic converter be added but thats a no brainer...

All inspections were performed in Calvert County... It sucks that some of you are having difficulty but the experience differs from shop to shop... I really can't recommend any good ones outside of Calvert county though...

Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,978,876 times
Actually tercel, I haven't really had any problems with MD inspections, although like I said, the dealership handled it for me. And come to think of it, my wife didn't have any problems last year either, with her out-of-state '98 Camry. I think there were two small items for a total of under $80, one of which was a wiper blade.

I guess the reason I said it's a pain is mostly from stories I've heard. Now the place I personally had some inspection problems was Virginia, with their annual inspection. But that's another story...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Actually tercel, I haven't really had any problems with MD inspections, although like I said, the dealership handled it for me. And come to think of it, my wife didn't have any problems last year either, with her out-of-state '98 Camry. I think there were two small items for a total of under $80, one of which was a wiper blade.

I guess the reason I said it's a pain is mostly from stories I've heard. Now the place I personally had some inspection problems was Virginia, with their annual inspection. But that's another story...
Yes Virginia sucks in that regard and many others IMO... but it seems a lot of people have this fear of the MD state inspections when its one of the FEW things in MD that isn't that bad...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 AM

27 posts, read 109,721 times
tercel and Tim Rankin - I lived in VA for 35 years and while it's a pain to get it inspected every year, it's a cake walk in comparison. It takes 15 minutes and they only check a few key points. But it was a pain to get it done every year, especially when most places would not schedule an appointment and you just had to "hurry up and wait"

We got our first car inspected in MD yesterday and we are walking out spending less than $300, so I'm happy. Here's to hoping the 2nd car does just as well.

gstlouis - if you are interested in the place I went to, it was Veirs Auto Repair in Thurmont (about 15 miles away) but they were honest and fair with the whole thing. They also explained everything to me, I liked them a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick